IGNORED

Games done better on the Atari 8-bit than Apple ][, C64?

courtesi

The Atari computers got a fair number of big-name exclusives that didn't see (official) ports on any other 8-bit computer, including the Apple II and C-64. Asteroids, Missile Command, Star Raiders, Space Invaders, Super Breakout, and Food Fight make this list.

As for games that saw release on two or all three computers, these Atari ports topped the others (in my opinion):

• Frogger
  • Pac-Man (if you count the updated version released on disk)
  • Ms. Pac-Man (arguably; the C-64 has a slight edge in graphics, but the Atari doesn't have sound that grates on your eardrums)
  • Dig Dug (the C-64 port is prettier to look at and listen to, but the second Atari port is more faithful, not to mention less buggy)
  • Centipede (but only if you count the 5200 as an Atari 8-bit, otherwise it's a toss-up)
  • Pitfall II

I'm sure there's more, but those are off the top of my head.

Edited by skunkworx

Better than Apple? Almost every common release.

Better than C-64? Add:

- Electraglide

- Pole Position (arguably, but the C-64 has better looking car sprites)

- Rescue on Fractalus, Ballblazer, Eidelon, Koronis Rift (mainly due to much better speed and colour representation)

- Shamus (a lot of early C-64 ports just had crappy sound)

Better than Apple? Almost every common release.

Well, games like Ultima 4 were better on the Apple than the Atari since the Apple's lowest common denominator was usually 64k when games for the Atari stayed at 48k. It was annoying that C64 and Apple 2s were getting 64k games while the developers stuck with 48k on Ataris.

Edited by Almost Rice

Best on XL:

Mercenary

Dropzone (even ZZAP! 64 had to admit to this fact)

many SSI war games

M.U.L.E.

Flight Simulator II

Karateka (XL/C64 flippy, easy to compare)

Chessmaster 2000 (XL/C64 flippy, easy to compare)

The Halley's Project (XL/C64 flippy, easy to compare)

many cartridge titles

Edited by thomasholzer

Best on XL:

Mercenary

Dropzone (even ZZAP! 64 had to admit to this fact)

many SSI war games

M.U.L.E.

Flight Simulator II

Karateka (XL/C64 flippy, easy to compare)

Chessmaster 2000 (XL/C64 flippy, easy to compare)

The Halley's Project (XL/C64 flippy, easy to compare)

many cartridge titles

I had Flight Simulator II on 800 Xl back then and recently I tried the C64 version. I couldn´t see any difference from what I remember, I would say both are par.

I had Flight Simulator II on 800 Xl back then and recently I tried the C64 version. I couldn´t see any difference from what I remember, I would say both are par.

Anything that had to rely on sheer brute force CPU power for game functions like FS II or Mercenary almost always ran better on the A8s due to the clock speed difference.

You're probably right about FSII, but XL = cartridge instend loading

C-64 = Disk 5 minutes loading.....

Buy C64 cartridges then.

No, no C64 cartridges, I use Atari :cool:

Flight Simulator II didn't come on cartridge for the C-64 anyway.

FS II originally came on disk for the A8 (I have both the disk and cart versions), but I don't recall the loading times to be too bad.

To make it short (nearly) all early released titles are better on the a8

Later there are a lot of C64 which are better or never released on the a8 like Impossible Missions or Winter Games.

It’s always the same if a Game is programmed for a particular platform the conversion is weaker.

Anyhow overall I like to play the a8 versions more it feels like… like more fun?

I can’t say what it is but surly there are also some great titles on c64 (no opinion about Apple here)

Anyhow overall I like to play the a8 versions more it feels like… like more fun?

I just got through playing the C64 version of Jumpman Junior for the first time... have to say, I still like the Atari 8 version best.

Was Jumpman Jr. ever released on the Apple II? I've got a IIc around here somewhere, could hook it up and try it out.

I know a lot of others feel differently, but I think Archon works best on the A8 because it has more shades of gray.

I don't know about the C64 or Apple versions, but I just played the Spectrum version. It totally sucks compared to the A8