IGNORED

Various Game Controller pics (& things that plug into a Joystick port)

doctorclu

Work without fail?!? HELL NO! I bought one of those 500XJ pieces of JUNK back in the 80's and it lasted me 2 weeks and suddenly didn't work right, and there was a rattling when I shook it. I opened it up and the case parts that held the joystick in place had broken. I tried super glueing it, but that lasted for 5 minutes. Biggest piece of junk joystick I ever bought! It was a HUGE disappiontment too, becuase I did like the way it felt in my hands. Now the micro switches inside work without fail, but it doesn't matter if the case plastic is so cheap and brittle that it can't hold the micro-switches in place!

I use this now. my 500xj were not breaking apart, but I can see how brittle they are.

post-7833-0-11359700-1319644673_thumb.jpg

Work without fail?!? HELL NO! I bought one of those 500XJ pieces of JUNK back in the 80's and it lasted me 2 weeks and suddenly didn't work right, and there was a rattling when I shook it. I opened it up and the case parts that held the joystick in place had broken. I tried super glueing it, but that lasted for 5 minutes. Biggest piece of junk joystick I ever bought! It was a HUGE disappiontment too, becuase I did like the way it felt in my hands. Now the micro switches inside work without fail, but it doesn't matter if the case plastic is so cheap and brittle that it can't hold the micro-switches in place!

I use this now. my 500xj were not breaking apart, but I can see how brittle they are.

Yeah, that is pretty sweet! Several years ago I still owned a MAAS arcade stick that I made myself, painted it up to match the Atari Jaguar (as that was the main reason for making it), but I also made it compatible with the traditional Atari 9-pin including 2-buttons for the 7800! I used it on all my Atari systems, and at one point had both the 15-pin and 9-pin plugged into my STE computer! Sold it though...I wish I hadn't sold it, but I ONLY sell my electronics off becuase I HAVE too, when in dire straights.

Edited by Gunstar

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever built an arcade stick for their Atari? I mean it really wouldn't be too expensive, a stick (10-20 dollars), the button(s) 2-4 dollars and a box. Just need to wire in a 9 pin plug/cable to the points on the switches and joystick, would be FAR easier than the arcade stick that I built out of a hacked xbox 360 controller.

I did just that, with a stick I bought from Deal Extreme ( http://www.dealextre...-assorted-41227 comes already wired) plus a button ( http://www.dealextre...-assorted-37487 )

Stuck them both in a cheap plastic box from EBay, added a 9-pin female connector, and hook it up via a joystick extension cable.

Looks like this (photo taken to hide the duct tape holding the connector in place!)

:

post-18247-0-28772800-1319681439_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I found an old picture in the Jaguar forum of my once and future collection for the Jaguar. Anyway, you can see my Jaguar MAAS arcade stick in the picture, this also worked with all Atari's except the 5200, and of course all Commodores or anything that uses the Atari 9-pin standard. The two top buttons were used for Atari computers/2600/7800 or used as pause and option in Jaguar mode.

post-149-0-85103900-1319689977_thumb.jpg

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever built an arcade stick for their Atari? I mean it really wouldn't be too expensive, a stick (10-20 dollars), the button(s) 2-4 dollars and a box. Just need to wire in a 9 pin plug/cable to the points on the switches and joystick, would be FAR easier than the arcade stick that I built out of a hacked xbox 360 controller.

I did just that, with a stick I bought from Deal Extreme ( http://www.dealextre...-assorted-41227 comes already wired) plus a button ( http://www.dealextre...-assorted-37487 )

Stuck them both in a cheap plastic box from EBay, added a 9-pin female connector, and hook it up via a joystick extension cable.

Looks like this (photo taken to hide the duct tape holding the connector in place!)

:

I have been thinking about stripping down a pair of Topmax Dreamcast fighting sticks for that same reason. I only paid 10 dollars a peice I think for them but I would just like to use the stick assembly itself and put them into a project box. I have 4 of those Topmax Dreamcast sticks and from reading reviews, they aren't very good, the plastic shell is supposed to be garbage.

I have plenty of arcade buttons so I don't need any there. The buttons on the dreamcast stick are built onto the motherboard, they aren't discrete buttons ala most other high quality fighting sticks.

LipStik Plus was issued with the C64 game Echelon, as the fire button on the joystick was used for some other control, so you had to shout 'fire' to ....fire

Muppet Keyboard was a fun keyboard for kids, the A8 C64 disk was a flippy, the C64 had a nice Muppet game, the A8 side of the disk merely had drivers on it.

Relax is on Atarimania for your perusal, it's a bit like MindLink

Edited by high voltage

:

That is very cool!!

I bet that StarTrak controller would work well with games like Robotron and Commando!

And Airball? that could be interestomg...I always liked this game but sucked at controlling it, though even after playing it recently, I don't think I ever even tried moving diagonally...maybe that's why I suck at the game! Now that I think about it, I bet my Atari trackball would work well with Airball!

Edited by Gunstar

I was rummaging through some boxes of "electronics stuff of all types" yesterday and found the controller pictured below.

I had forgotten I had it, as I had taken it apart to do a 7800 2-button conversion on it, since it has four buttons. Since I no longer own a 7800, I put it back together and have it working with my 8-bit again (and 2600&flashback2).

It seems to be a generic stick, there is only a patent number on the bottom, and the sticker on the top that reads "action joystick." It has two base buttons and top and trigger buttons. It has a switch for rapid-fire on/off and suction cups on the base to hold it in place on a table or whatever (the suction cups still work perfectly). Still in great working condition, and pretty darn comfortable with it's pistol grip. Nothing special under the hood, the stick and contact design is similiar to Atari CX sticks.

post-149-0-66207500-1319906549_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

• 5 years later...

My favourite stick was around at the time of the Amiga but was fine for the 8 bit, I can't remember the name which is what I'm hoping some one can fill in the blanks, it was a Mini version of a well known stick, possibly competition pro and was named as mini on the box, was a velvet smooth super little stick..

Pretty sure it was a Competition pro.....

Brilliant for Sensible Soccer...

Edited by Mclaneinc

• 2 years later...

I had recently purchased a Wico A5200 Controller with the splitter cable, but was unable to locate the Keypad.

So, browsing the Internet I procurred these 3 parts:

Cable: https://console5.com/store/neo-geo-aes-atari-5200-pc-controller-joystick-repair-project-cables-4-1-2m.html
Keypad: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253937062984
Mounting Box: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ham-Radio-CB-Project-Box-Enclosure-Black-Plastic-1-X-2-5-X-3/163463229370?hash=item260f2aefba:g:kzkAAOSwSatbF0hf:rk:9:pf:0

After some drilling, soldering and some Plumber's Goop, I came up with this.

Sure, it's a "Frankenstein", but it works!

MyA5200KeypadSm.jpg

Edited by spetragl