IGNORED

Any fans of Dragonstomper?

shadow460

I was a firm believer, and still am, in not mapping the cave, (my character hasn't got a map, so I shouldn't make one)

Now that just doesn't make any sense. I'm quite sure your mapless character, if real, would have mapped his way as he went. Who wouldn't under such circumstances. Even Hansel and Gretel left a trail of bread crumbs to follow.

It's just not normal to want to aimlessly wander around a maze. :P

You've missed my point, but if you've never played the game, or think I'm refering to the first level, then that's entirely understandable.

I have a map of the first phase of Dragonstomper (without the traps) simply because that phase is "the countryside" and it isn't unreasonable to assume that the character would either have a map or would be making a map. I also reuse that map for subsequent playing (though not generally the first time after not having played in a while).

In Dragonstomper, the "maze" to which I refer and which I resist the mapping of is the cave in the third phase. The cave is pretty much a one-way affair. There's no branching and there's no backtracking. The hazards are pits, darts and invisible traps. To escape from, avoid or detect these hazards one must (but not always) use resources purchased in the village (potions, spell scrolls, equipment). When I say "mapping the cave" I'm refering to keeping track of where all the invisible traps are relative to the skeletons, pits and darts, so that, in a subsequent playing of the game, one can use that map to get through the cave more easily by knowing exactly how to avoid the traps.

To me, it removes a layer of the role-playing and entirely eliminates the challenge to sit there with a map of all the invisible trap locations. Where's the suspense? Where's the tension between using or conserving limited resources when exactly where those resources will be needed is handily referenced? It would be like playing through a modern RPG while someone reads the player directions from a walkthrough.

I hope that clarifies for you what I meant by my original statements.

• 2 weeks later...
It takes 4,000 gold to buy out the village if you don't plan on selling or trading anything. I recommended it since a new player won't know which magic spells are good and which are junk. Also, the more gold you have, the more the warriors want.

Actually, it takes 3,451 Gold to buy out the entire village without selling anything. I had it written down in one of my journals, which I just recently found.

And, if you buy out the whole village, you don't need Gold to enlist the Warriors. That's what the Rubies and Sapphires are for. They have no purpose otherwise.

As mentioned above, it's best to sell your items that you found in the countryside, as they're useless in the Dragon's Cave. It's true the Handaxe works on the Dragon, but only when he's nearby and I don't think it causes as much damage as the Longbow, which you can shoot at a great distance.

Also, you should open all Treasure chests in the countryside, as in the village or the Dragon's Cave, you cannot do it; it just says "Use Treasure Chest, No Effect". You could sell it, but you only get 61 Gold, and you do not get the item inside. As stated earlier, the magic items found in the Countyside are ALWAYS cancelled by the Dragon's magic. I have never been able to successfully use one of these in the Dragon's Cave, so you might as well sell these (as each one of them is worth 30 Gold). I always used to do the math and, when I had enough Gold and items to add up to 3,451, I'd head to town. This would save time.

I usually head out with 2500 to 3000 in gold. I don't buy everything at the village, just what I need. I check the warriors' cost, and if it's more than 115, I get three of the jewels and enlist them. I buy out the hospital unless my dexterity is already at 52, then I skip some of the vitamins. Other than that, I buy a rope, a lantern, a bow, and then I get magic with whatever's left. I usually go for the stuns first, then the blasts, then the unlock. I might go for the visions and the flashes if I have enough cash left.

• 1 year later...

Just got the book for this game and I've been playing it again. Fun times!

BTW, if you're thinking the info in my posts here would make a good FAQ on gamefaqs.com, please don't post it there. Figured I'd better plug that hole (gamefaqs) while I was hard at it slaying medieval bad guys.

Edited by shadow460

It's been so long since I've played this game, I wish I could remember what I did to get a free warrior at the town. I'll never forget the first time I beat the game (by capturing the dragon (I like dragons, I didn't want to kill him. :) ) I later killed him (just once,) to see if I could. Killing him was a lot easier, imho. Having all the warriors really seemed to make a lot of difference in difficulty, if I didn't have them all I could never get to the gem in time.