IGNORED

Is a Sega Game Gear worth owning?

courtesi

I really like our GG and with fun add ons like the TV tuner and FM radio it adds a bit of spice, it's also back lit which is nice too.

If I knew what type of games you enjoy I could recommend a few but I haven't really been disappointed with the (110) ones we have. :)

I personally like everything from Ren and Stimpy to Paperboy so there's plenty of variety. There's also a lot of really good (IMO at least) Sonic titles available.

While you say to take the SMS adapter out of the equasion I'd like to add that since we don't have an actual system we use that to play the very few SMS games we have as well.

Of course, everybody's already mentioned the Sonic titles, and they are great. YOu can get the same games for SMS too. It's also superior (IMO) to the GameBoy for Sports Titles, Baseball is really fast paced on here, of course, wiht the slow refresh screen, that could be a bad thing....

Columns is good, and it has a bunch of decent-gret arcade ports as well.

For an over all colection though, the GameGear really sucks. ANd the TV tuner isn't compatible with some GameGears (to my understanding, the ones with " licensed by, or underlicense from SEGA" on boot up. I don't know about the radio tuner, I think it is, since it was made along side the GameBoy one (I think) Did the GameGear tuner hook through the link port like the GB radio, or did it hook up to the cart port?

I have one from when I was a kid that I haven't played in probably a decade. It's a neat system, but all the games for it that I was interested in could be played in better quality on my Genesis, and without needing to go through six AA batteries an hour. But, I'm biased against handhelds anyway, so maybe you should take my words with some salt. :) All things considered though, I wouldn't bother.

If you're a Sega collector, go for it!

I was thinking at some point i may pick one of these bad boys up.I better get a AC power pack if i do.I know the old GG can eat up some batteries fast.As far as games go i remember playing Donald Duck's Lucky Dime Caper and Spider-Man on it and really enjoying them.Also i think that Chase H.Q and Pac-Man would be pretty sweet on it too.

I was thinking at some point i may pick one of these bad boys up.I better get a AC power pack if i do.I know the old GG can eat up some batteries fast.As far as games go i remember playing Donald Duck's Lucky Dime Caper and Spider-Man on it and really enjoying them.Also i think that Chase H.Q and Pac-Man would be pretty sweet on it too.

Forget the power adaptor. I run my Game Gear on 2500 mAh NiMH rechargeable batteries. Those hybrid or precharged batteries would work, too. My 'Gear runs for well over twelve hours on a single charge using those. I see the Color Game Boys running down all the time, but the 'Gear really is always ready to play.

You get a better Star Wars, you get Sonic, and you get Shining Force II. Shining Force alone is enough reason to own a Game Gear. Micro Machines isn't half bad, neither is Aerial Assault. Sadly those are among the harder to find titles for the 'Gear.

Some of my other favorite titles are the Poker Face Paul's carts. I have BlackJack and Poker (5 card stud), and I keep my eyes open for Gin and Solitaire.

Jurassic Park is decent. Not great, not poor, just decent.

Columns is better than any Tetris I've played, and Super Columns is better than that. Klax is also available.

Let's not forget Shinobi, either.

I player Ren and Stimpy once. It looked good, but I just wasn't in the mood to buy a side scroller at the time.

So yes, the Game Gear does have some unique titles that make it worth picking up. Just bear in mind that you need some NiMH batteries and a charger that can charge all six of 'em in an acceptable amount of time.

Don't try NiCd batteries--the 'Gear will ruin them.

Some of my other favorite titles are the Poker Face Paul's carts. I have BlackJack and Poker (5 card stud), and I keep my eyes open for Gin and Solitaire.

Yeah. I have the Solitaire one. It's a decent card game, and includes four solitaire games, including the obligatory version of Klondike and its many variations.

Personally, the GG has some great titles. The Sonic games and Shining Force are reason enough to own one. I enjoy mine on occasion.

Yeah. I have the Solitaire one. It's a decent card game, and includes four solitaire games, including the obligatory version of Klondike and its many variations.

Personally, the GG has some great titles. The Sonic games and Shining Force are reason enough to own one. I enjoy mine on occasion.

What other Solitaire games are on there? I passed it up a few months back when it was $4 locally. I figured Klondike would be on there, but my two favorites are Canfield and Forty Thieves.