IGNORED

Colecovision NEW Expansion Module on the way!

retroillucid

I've just finished the prototype version of expansion module #5 (Yeah #5)

I call it: The Arcade Quality Controller...

NOTE: This is an early concept based on the Xarcade solo player...this's not a final product... What do you think? ... any ideas?....Should I produce them? at witch cost?

First of all, are you simply talking theoretically, or are you really intent on doing a real prototype?

NOTE: This is an early concept based on the Xarcade solo player...this's not a final product... What do you think? ... any ideas?....Should I produce them? at witch cost?

First of all, are you simply talking theoretically, or are you really intent on doing a real prototype?

The Proto is done...in a blank box... It work just REALLY fine... I use it now... and It use real arcade parts....

Your're totally right! But do you want to see a blank wood grain box with no design...I'm seriously talking to produce it...but don't know if Coleco Fans want something like this... from what I know is Colecovision controller sucks...I want something close to the arcade concept that coleco haved promoted... Yes It's no joke about it... the prototype is done but I want to show you more then wooden box....

How much coleco fans will pay for this.... how much they want it reality???

:!: What about overlays, can they be moved in ?

:!: What about overlays, can they be moved in ?

Sadly...no..unless you want it in place definately... you know I've search for a solution but there's nothing I can do...

Your're totally right! But do you want to see a blank wood grain box with no design...I'm seriously talking to produce it...but don't know if Coleco Fans want something like this... from what I know is Colecovision controller sucks...I want something close to the arcade concept that coleco haved promoted... Yes It's no joke about it... the prototype is done but I want to show you more then wooden box....

How much coleco fans will pay for this.... how much they want it reality???

Well, an arcade stick with arcade-quality buttons would be very nice, but I already have that in the form of a CV Questar joystick (well, I don't have it yet, but it's in mid-shipment right now). Personally, what I would prefer is a NES-style D-Pad controller with integrated CV keypad. I would post a mockup of this controller, but that would be highjacking this thread. :)

Anyhow, yes, I'd like to see your current prototype, even if it's not much to look at. :D

I'd certainly be interested in one, but I doubt you could release it at under $60, right? I'd prefer under $50, but if it really was arcade quality, I'd do more. In any case, one way around the overlay issue would be just to have a small clip on the right-hand side of the unit so we could slip the overlays under that and still be able to easily refer to them.

Now mind you, if you were able to add compatible "Super Action Controller" functionality and perhaps even a trackball, it would be worth at least another $20 and may even spur more homebrew developments for those options. Also, if you replaced the keypad with a keypad from an old-style telephone (or something heavy-duty equivalent), that would be great too, particularly since you have intention of supporting overlays directly anyway.

Edited by Bill_Loguidice

<incorrect info deleted>

I'd definitely be interested in this, though using arcade parts would likely drive the price up past $50. Still, I'd probably buy it, except that I'm in Canada, and the shipping would likely be ridiculous.

As for the overlays, I dont see why it would be so difficult to have some sort of hacked part such as taking the grid from a standard controller and using some clips molded into the joystick base to make it removable. So you just pop it out, insert your overlay, and pop it back in place. Seems like that would require some intricacy in the molding you'd make for the base, however.

Edited by misspent_youth

I've sold off all my arcade sticks like this. They're too big and bulky to have one for every system and you don't want to leave them sitting out because they take up so much space. You would sell more if you made a joypad since that's what most people are used to nowadays.

I have to disagree. While making the stick as compact as possible would be nice, I personally wouldn't want a gamepad for the ColecoVision. You're not selling to the modern gamer who only knows gamepads, you're selling to the classic gaming enthusiasts who appreciates joysticks. On the plus side, this stick could also work on the Atari 2600 and a multitude of other systems that use the standard 9-pin connectors, so little would be lost by making this a full-featured ColecoVision arcade-style joystick, that, oh by the way, supports dozens of other systems too.

I've sold off all my arcade sticks like this. They're too big and bulky to have one for every system and you don't want to leave them sitting out because they take up so much space. You would sell more if you made a joypad since that's what most people are used to nowadays.

I have to disagree. While making the stick as compact as possible would be nice, I personally wouldn't want a gamepad for the ColecoVision. You're not selling to the modern gamer who only knows gamepads, you're selling to the classic gaming enthusiasts who appreciates joysticks. On the plus side, this stick could also work on the Atari 2600 and a multitude of other systems that use the standard 9-pin connectors, so little would be lost by making this a full-featured ColecoVision arcade-style joystick, that, oh by the way, supports dozens of other systems too.

First of all... The Expansion Module #4 is for the upcoming Opcode SEM.... As for the price for Expansion Module #5... it could not be under 50$...consider this... 1 joystick 2 distinct buttons... self adhesive overlay for the Control panel... the wood....I would like to make it under 60$... but I plan to put the trackball and even the Super action controls... Maybe someone have any more ideas that should be add....

The Original Expansion Module #4 was unreleased by coleco (For those who don't know)

If that mock up used good arcade quality parts, you'd be talking about $50 just in the arcade parts ($35 for the kdypad, $15 for the stick, and aobua $1 per button, I know as I built a couple 5200 sticks myself) And if it's made with that good a parts, I'll bet you'd have no problem selling it for say $100.

Oh well, I lfet out some prices, as there's the cable, and the box, not to mention time spent. But still $100 would probably be fair.

BTW, why call this an expansion module? Will it use the expansion port in some way? I see no real reason for this, as you could just stick a 9pin din on the thing and plug it into a standard controller port.