IGNORED

Any good puzzle or tetris games for the 800?

courtesi

inquiring minds want to know!
Flower Mania is a new and fantastic game. It is somewhat Tetris-like.

Klony is another new A8 game and very fun.

Micro-X is hard but an interesting and very unique timed, puzzle game.

BTW, not sure which, if any of these run on an 800, sorry.

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1

zenji, bloody excellent

Also, the only one that runs on a stock NTSC 800, out of the ones mentioned so far. I don't actually remember how to play it though :(

Klony, Flower Mania, Micro-X, Tigris: I just tried these (from AA threads, or cracked versions from Holmes and/or CTH archives) on my 800, nothing worked.

Monex (from Homesoft disk #299) does load and run on the 800, but the screen jumps constantly during play. Probably it would work on a PAL 800 (I've only got NTSC here in the US). Too bad, this game has excellent music, and looks like it would be pretty cool.

I was able to play Atartris, Cooltris, and Tetris 3D on the 800... out of the 3, Ataritris is the closest to standard Tetris.

My favorite puzzle game on the 800 is probably Boulderdash. I just recently discovered the Bandit Boulderdash series (here: http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?idx=B )... that's 54 more versions of the game with different levels. Not sure if this is what the original poster was looking for (not very Tetris-like), but I really like 'em.

zenji, bloody excellent

Monex (from Homesoft disk #299) does load and run on the 800, but the screen jumps constantly during play. Probably it would work on a PAL 800 (I've only got NTSC here in the US). Too bad, this game has excellent music, and looks like it would be pretty cool.

See if this will work for you. It works great on my multi cart using a 800XL.

http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=4960

Edited by duncantoml

yes, it is very likely that flowers mania (and sudoku sweep too) won't work on a800. but if there is a need for that, one can recompile the games for a800.

Flowers Mania: http://atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU...p;SOFT_ID=14064

Sudoku Sweep: http://atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU...ERSION_ID=19325

• 2 weeks later...
yes, it is very likely that flowers mania (and sudoku sweep too) won't work on a800. but if there is a need for that, one can recompile the games for a800.

Flowers Mania: http://atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU...p;SOFT_ID=14064

Sudoku Sweep: http://atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU...ERSION_ID=19325

Haven't tried Sodoku Sweep but I for one would like to see Flowers Mania in a version that will work on my beloved 800 (NTSC)!

- Steve Sheppard

p.s. Sorry about the recommendations. Apparently none of the great games that I suggested, Flowers Mania, Klony, or Micro-X will work on a stock 400/800 :(

Your game is BEAUTIFUL but unfortunately I am terrible at playing it! :sad:

Do you have any strategy tips to offer?

Thanks! I am glad you like it.

And, sure: here are some strategy tips:

1. Just try to match 3 jellybeans at first. Find 3 adjacent columns that have the same color jellybeans in them. Move those columns up and down to make a match on the center row.

2. If you get a brick, always make sure that when you match 3 or more jellybeans, to include the columns that contain the bricks. That is, once a brick shows up on screen, work hard to get rid of it by match jellybeans in that column, or else you are stuck...

Let me know if that helps...

1. Just try to match 3 jellybeans at first. Find 3 adjacent columns that have the same color jellybeans in them. Move those columns up and down to make a match on the center row.

2. If you get a brick, always make sure that when you match 3 or more jellybeans, to include the columns that contain the bricks. That is, once a brick shows up on screen, work hard to get rid of it by match jellybeans in that column, or else you are stuck...

OK. Great! Will do!

I mentioned this a quite while back but I'm still impressed by all the colors you managed to provide in Jelly Beans.

OK. Great! Will do!

I mentioned this a quite while back but I'm still impressed by all the colors you managed to provide in Jelly Beans.

Ah, yes. Now I remember. Didn't you say that your CTIA enabled 800 never had displayed some many colors! :)

Jellybeans has so many colors because I had an idea in mind (thanks to several technical posts from others on AtariAge) to make many colors on a small portion of the screen and designed the game around it... or rather ported a Java game I had been working on....I think I found a way to make the colors better and hopefully will be used in another one of my future games...

I guess I could add my 2 cents, I downloaded "tetrix" from one of the atari FTP sites, honestly one of the few things I've actually downloaded and ran, and the only Tetris clone I've used on the Atari. I was very happy with it, but like I said, it's the only one I've tired! I might have to give Jellybeans a try :) Oh, it ran fine on a 1200XL and 130XE, don't know if the 800 would work or not.

You could also try the 'Columns' clone I did called 'Colours':

http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=4980

One of those lesser used screen modes to get more colours. ;)

Sorry that I never got around to putting any music into it. :(

Regards,

Mark

Very good game! I have played it... and very good use of colo(u)rs. ;)