IGNORED

Kobe Bryant gave out 20 ps3's for christmas

ATARIeric

I am watching the game today between the lakers and heat and during the halftime they had a piece on Kobe Bryant's vivo foundation for less fortunate kids and today he gave them each (20 kids) a ps3 with games and tomorrow he is taking them to disney world in Orlando.

Good for him :thumbsup:

Edited by ATARIeric

Isn't he the one that was accused of rape?

Great publicity stunt.

That would be him. Although luckily for him it turns out she was a cheap skank gutter-ho and because of her permiscuity there were too many questions surrounding whether or not it was consentual. There was DNA from (at least) one other guy in her panties and on her body, so IIRC the whole suit got thrown out.

But yeah in the end...good publicity stunt.

Great publicity stunt.

I'm not a Kobe Bryant fan, but there is no need for Kobe Bryant to rape a girl. This girl was smart and wanted $$$$$$$.

FUNK

Exactly.

So when I see athletes doing commercials for the unitedway I should consider that a publicity stunt ?

http://www.vivofoundation.net/index.php

Why now 3 years after the case was dropped that he would need a publicity stunt ? for what ?

Eric

Edited by ATARIeric

Just out of curiosity, how are PS3's and games going to specifically help less fortunate kids? Shouldn't he, I don't know, fund their school library, or perhaps donate a few computers to the school, or even help out with tuition to decent private schools, assuming the publics are as bad as you might think they are? I actually doubt that he donated them at all, probably got Sony to do that. Aren't you limited to one PS3? I bet at least one of those PS3's finds its way to eBay! Not to be cynical or anything.... :roll:

Not to mention the fact that I bet at least one of those underprivlaged kids gets his PS3 robbed when they go back to their neighborhood.

I'm not hating on Kobe but really there are better ways to help out these kids than getting them $600 game systems. For the cost of those PS3s and games at least kobe could have bought those kids some clothes, food, and have enough left over for a PS2 and some games for those kids

Great publicity stunt.

I'm not a Kobe Bryant fan, but there is no need for Kobe Bryant to rape a girl. This girl was smart and wanted $$$$$$$.

FUNK

Hey, that would make a great defense for rapists!

"Your honor, there was no need for me to have raped that girl, I'm (rich) (famous) (good looking)" :roll:

Sorry. Kobe is a piece of shit scuz bucket. There was no need for him to have cheated on his wife either. We'll never know, but his reputation was tarnished whether or not he raped that girl.

Just out of curiosity, how are PS3's and games going to specifically help less fortunate kids? Shouldn't he, I don't know, fund their school library, or perhaps donate a few computers to the school, or even help out with tuition to decent private schools, assuming the publics are as bad as you might think they are? I actually doubt that he donated them at all, probably got Sony to do that. Aren't you limited to one PS3? I bet at least one of those PS3's finds its way to eBay! Not to be cynical or anything.... :roll:

Because this was a very personal experience for the kids. If you ask me, I think it's a really great thing he did. It isn't just some rich guy tosses some money at the poor. He talked with them, taking them to a place they may never get to go to, and got them what is probably the gift of all gifts as far as material things go right now. He treated them as humans.

I think that the actual act he did was great but If he was a better role model for kids (at least imo anyway) it would probably be even nicer. As it is kids idolize sports stars and I wish their behavior outside of charitable acts themselves matched those acts or did acts like this not just at opportune times of year but all year long.

It's not only good publicity but depending how he did it it's a nice tax deduction. He could also probably afford to outfit a whole neighborhood with PS3's and not make a dent in his pay. :ponder: I'd really love to see celebrities outfit schools with computers, police with better equipment, build hospitals and libraries, restock food banks, or even playgrounds in bad areas *and help pay for the security as follow up.

I do think that kids should be spoiled however and especially for kids who come from a bad area it's a chance for them to escape if only for a brief moment or when they play their systems or remember their trips. It's also nice when celebrities help those in this country or "starting at home" since there are so many kids in violent neighborhoods and even going hungry or abused and alone.

It may not be the greatest or even come from the greatest guy but it's still a start of some kind as well as doing more then some others who are similarly as well off financially. Kids deserve every chance they can get.

I understand all of that, but it still seems to me about as effective as bringing a homeless person to Ruth's Chris for a fine steak. I guess it depends on what the purpose is. If the purpose is to help these kids in some way, I think new computers in the school, and maybe a scholarship fund would be the way to go. If it's to "treat" the kids in some way, well, that's different I guess. However, for Kobe, education was extremely important, and he was a very good student. Buying PS3's doesn't exactly make you a good student, though.

Great publicity stunt.

FUNK

Hey, that would make a great defense for rapists!

"Your honor, there was no need for me to have raped that girl, I'm (rich) (famous) (good looking)" :roll:

Sorry. Kobe is a piece of shit scuz bucket. There was no need for him to have cheated on his wife either. We'll never know, but his reputation was tarnished whether or not he raped that girl.

So mere accusastion = automanically guilty

That's why we have a court system to determine guilt or innocence and to determine what is true and what is BS

I understand all of that, but it still seems to me about as effective as bringing a homeless person to Ruth's Chris for a fine steak. I guess it depends on what the purpose is. If the purpose is to help these kids in some way, I think new computers in the school, and maybe a scholarship fund would be the way to go. If it's to "treat" the kids in some way, well, that's different I guess. However, for Kobe, education was extremely important, and he was a very good student. Buying PS3's doesn't exactly make you a good student, though.

Exactly

Kobe isn't some kid from the streets, Kobe was a well educated kid who even speaks perfect Italian who got to where he was by being smart (at least until he messed around with that girl) moreso than by his basketball ability. If Kobe wanted these kids to follow in his footsteps a computer would have been a better choice than a PS3. However I doubt that Kobe is really the one making the decisions here, he probably just signs the checks and gets the photo-ops.

Not to mention the fact that I bet at least one of those underprivlaged kids gets his PS3 robbed when they go back to their neighborhood.

Always a possibility, but if you're a kid from a poor family, are you gonna look a new PS3 and games and tell Kobe Bryant to his face, "Sorry man I don't want this brand new video game system, there's too much chance someone's gonna break in and steal it." I'm sure any kid who got a Nintendo from an NBA player back in 1987 said the same thing right? There's a reason people use the phrase "kid in a candy store" - you give a kid something they can't get themselves and they're going to react with glee and joy. Maybe, and I know this is hard to imagine from athletes, celebrities, and movie actors, maybe they actually get some joy out of seeing a kid's face light up during the holidays. I bet Kobe wishes somebody had given him a video game system when he was a kid. I know I do - all I got for Christmas was socks, shirts, and books. Lots and lots of books. It got to the point all I asked for at Christmas was books and tapes cause I knew asking for any actual action figures, toys or video games was bound to be a waste of time.

Always a possibility, but if you're a kid from a poor family, are you gonna look a new PS3 and games and tell Kobe Bryant to his face, "Sorry man I don't want this brand new video game system, there's too much chance someone's gonna break in and steal it." I'm sure any kid who got a Nintendo from an NBA player back in 1987 said the same thing right? There's a reason people use the phrase "kid in a candy store" - you give a kid something they can't get themselves and they're going to react with glee and joy. Maybe, and I know this is hard to imagine from athletes, celebrities, and movie actors, maybe they actually get some joy out of seeing a kid's face light up during the holidays. I bet Kobe wishes somebody had given him a video game system when he was a kid. I know I do - all I got for Christmas was socks, shirts, and books. Lots and lots of books. It got to the point all I asked for at Christmas was books and tapes cause I knew asking for any actual action figures, toys or video games was bound to be a waste of time.

Kobe's dad was "Jellybean" Bryant, who played in the NBA and in Italy. There was no money shortage at his house, so I assume he got a video game system when he was a kid. I bet he got the Nintendo with ROB the robot!