IGNORED

Ideal Atari 8 bit system?

deadmeow

I have an Atari 800 in storage, but what is the ideal Atari computer system? I was thinking an Atari 800 XL with a 1050 Drive. I know nothing about the peripherals for Atari.

Is there any advantage to the Atari XE series? They look more like toys. I had an XEGS in the 90's when I had a big collection of retro gaming systems.

The "real" ATARI 8-Bit for main usage is the 800 XL with some upgrades e.g. memory up to 1 MB, built in CompactFlash device or something else.

The XEs are same as 800 XL, but something of cheaper production makes them less perfect.

Some Pros & Cons:

800 XL												  XE Series
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keyboard:  in most cases better than XE						less Quality, but XEGS has seperate one!
Memory:	64k												 128 k (130 XE) or 64k (65XE/800XE/XEGS)
Video:	 no real red color (I know only PAL in reality.)	 has sharper picture even with composite
	   only some later boards have a poti to gain signal   video, there is a poti to gain the best signal,
														   colors are little different e.g. red can be seen
misc:	  has seperate modul port and PBI					 no real PBI, on some boards only modul port

some machines have a built in error in
														   BASIC language

Hope that short list may help you.

some machines have a built in error in BASIC language

This applies to the 800XL, too. I've owned 3 of them and they've all had revision B BASIC...

...but that shouldn't hold anybody back: It really only matters if you're going to write BASIC programs. In that case, you can get a rev. C BASIC cart, or replace the ROM, or use OSS BASIC XL/XE, or Turbo BASIC XL, or a real language (not BASIC at all). Or, you can just live with the fact that rev. B will crash occasionally, and remember to LIST your work to disk every half hour or so.

If you're not going to write BASIC code, you can stick with revision B. It's fine for running programs someone's already written (the fatal bugs are triggered by adding/deleting program lines, which usually doesn't happen while a program's actually running).

In my oppinion, the 130XE is the latest and most advanced incarnation of the ATARI 8-bit hardware specification.

Unfortunately, they were assembled very poorly, the RAM chips are often defective, and the Keyboard totally sucks ass.

If you are going to use your ATARI for any sort of lengthy work (coding projects, etc.) it is very important that the keyboard DOESN'T suck.

The XL series all have decent keyboards, The 1200XL, in particular has a keyboard that many people drastically prefer.

Here is my solution:

1) strip 130XE down to bare circuit board.

2) intall high quality sockets for EVERYTHING that can be socketed.

3) reassemble using good soldering technique, and good quality components.

4) TEST it thoroughly.

5) MODIFY A 1200XL CASE TO ACCEPT THE 130XE MOTHERBOARD.

6) REWIRE THE 1200XL KEYBOARD FOR THE 130XE MOTHERBOARD.

7) assemble and enjoy.

I own (3) 130XEs, (1) 800XL, (1)1200XL, and (1)XEGS.

Out of all of them, the 130XE that I put in the 1200XL case is by far the best Atari 8-bit machine I've ever used.

When I got my Atari 800 off of Ebay about a year ago, I was suprised how big it was comared to the others. Its bigger size is the only thing I don't like about it. Otherwise I like the retro look.

I was leaning towards an Atari 800 xl, and this just confirms it for me. I got my Apple //e in 84, and my friend got an 800xl in 85 or 86 after they had slashed the prices. I made fun of his computer, but you have to admit, it has quality games. And one thing I liked better about his computer is that we could play Bruce Lee 2 players at the same time, unlike the Apple II version.

When I got my Atari 800 off of Ebay about a year ago, I was suprised how big it was comared to the others. Its bigger size is the only thing I don't like about it. Otherwise I like the retro look.

I was leaning towards an Atari 800 xl, and this just confirms it for me. I got my Apple //e in 84, and my friend got an 800xl in 85 or 86 after they had slashed the prices. I made fun of his computer, but you have to admit, it has quality games. And one thing I liked better about his computer is that we could play Bruce Lee 2 players at the same time, unlike the Apple II version.

Just don't forget to get an SIO2PC! Most useful Atari gadget ever! :)

A lot of you might think this is odd but, I own an 800XL (with a 1050)& XEGS (with a CX12) and right now I prefer the XEGS. I have put a longer cable on the keyboard that I got from a broken 5200 controller. I would have to admit the keyboard took sometime to get use-too, but now I don't think about it. I'm hoping to replace the XEGS keyboard with one from a 600XL or 800XL in the future, however I'm not sure if this is even possible. I guess I will find out soon enough. ;)

Ideally the perfect setup would be the Atari 800XL with the original 800 rom in there and the 1200xl keyboard....and the 1050s of course :)

Hm, my ideal would be the other way around: Atari 800 with 800XL ROM and 64K (or more) RAM.

I think I like the 800 keyboard better than the 1200XL one, too...

No argument on the 1050's, so long as they've got US Doublers or some other upgrade.

I think that the easiest to obtain:

800XL with 256k

one 1050 with US Doubler

SIO2PC

APE

Not much you couldn't with that setup! :)

what is the best way to increase to 256k?

I think the Wizztronics upgrade from Best Electronics is the easiest to obtain:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/wizztronics_256k.htm

$19.00

The memory chips you can get anywhere.

Personally,I think once you have your 800XL and your 1050,I would rank in order to obtain:

1) SIO2PC and APE software

2)US Doubler (double-density is nice!)

3) Memory upgrade

These are my personal opinions but I think that they are valid.

Good Luck!

Edited by dinosaur

Hard for me to say what makes the best or ideal Atari setup.

400 was a good harsh environment Atari 8-bit, but 16K (expandable to 48 with some work), no A/V port

800 has a nice retro look, and great keyboard feel. 48K though (normally)

800xl has the extra memory, don't care for the keyboard (or the angle)

130xe has the extra memory to run some nice apps, crappy keyboard.

65xe... nice disposable 8-bit.

XEGS... detechable keyboard and a good game system, but 64K. Not bad.

So as far as I can tell, the best Atari 8-bit was the 1200... a nice keyboard, extra memory, socketed chips, lots of room for expansion.

600 was the best for the smallest footprint.

To me, I chose to stay with the first Atari 8-bit introduced to me, the 800, and in time through the work of a few talented hard hackers, became a NICE Atari 8-bit. It can have the retro look, the nice keyboard, and with XE memory upgrades (like what Warerat will hopefully one day release that I have) be able to use the Atarimax flash carts and so forth.

So bottom line... out of the box...

Best retro look ... 400/800 (800 one of the better keyboards and nice A/V port)

Best small footprint 600XL

Detachable keyboard/game system XEGS

Best memory 130 XE

Best self destructing 8-bits... 800 XE, 65 XE :)

Best basic balanced (and not the greatest in any area) the 800 xl

Best 8-bit overal ... 1200

(1400 and 1450 not mentioned since they are not common.)

I like the 800XL and 1050 most. Pretty much the standard setup for games and the design of the units is very "80's" :)

The 130XE would be the next choice because of the 128 KB RAM, but I don't like the new design. It looks like junk to me.

That new design you think is junk happens to be just like an Atari ST. I hope you dont mean Atari STs look like junk!

JW

The 800xl was OK, I just didn't like the way they made the keyboard, it was very fragile...nice to see they rectified that issue with the xe by using a keyboard membrane (a'la sinclair speccy) onto a metal backing (not the cheap and nastly pcb approach warners did with the xl kb)

However i was told that Atari used the wrong strenght resistors with the XE keyboard, which meant the traces/ tracks on the keyboard membrane would oxidize after a years constant use

Edited by carmel_andrews

Even if the keyboard is fragile on the XL though, I can't see how there'd be any problems if you just use it normally.

As for the XE's I don't really like the look of them either, and I think it's because they remind me of the ST.

Edited by Ross PK