IGNORED

PAL Solaris dosen't fit in my 6switch!

Mister VCS

A few days ago i discovered this shoking news! It is the only game that doesn't fit in the system- and it is one of the

best games! I have to hook up my 4switch vader only for this game. Is there a trick to open the dust-protection on

the system to get the game work? My Solaris has the grey picture on the label. Does the color-picture version fit in?

Is there a PAL-version?

Thanks for help!

A few days ago i discovered this shoking news! It is the only game that doesn't fit in the system- and it is one of the

best games! I have to hook up my 4switch vader only for this game. Is there a trick to open the dust-protection on

the system to get the game work? My Solaris has the grey picture on the label. Does the color-picture version fit in?

Is there a PAL-version?

Thanks for help!

I had the misfortune to get my hands on a factory-sealed PAL version of Solaris not that long ago. It fit the system perfectly (My main system of choice is a TeleGames light sixer). The only problem was, of course, there was heavy distortion to the picture.

Now, I have run across carts that were manufacturing aberrations that were very difficult to insert into the cartridge slot. Crystal Castles was one that seemed to be notorious for that. Do you have a pic of the cart?

I have similar problems with Solaris (and all of my red label carts) fitting into my heavy sixer. My only guess is that these "next gen" carts were made with a thicker casing, thus making it very difficult to get them into the older units. I can get them in and working, but getting them out can be a pain. :(

• 4 weeks later...

I had some carts which were tight to fit (even on the junior) and I discovered that the problem was a defective mold.

Some of the late produced carts have bigger plastic "hooks" (sorry I don't know what the correct term is) on both sides which joint the 2 parts of the shell together. This usually is not a problem, but some of them have the left "hook" (watching the cart connector with the front label up) too big and they are very hard to fit in the cartridge slot (or they don't fit at all on certain consoles). In my experience, only the carts "made in honk kong" have those hooks and not all of them are defective.

I fixed mine using a small flat file and now they all fit like a glove in all my units.

in these pictures you can compare the old cart shells with the honk kong ones: the one marked in blue (PAL Solaris) was defective.

------ EDIT ------

I modified the pictures because, as A.J. Franzman rightly pointed out below, they were confusing about what exactly the defective part was.

oldcarts.jpg

hkcarts.jpg

And here the same cart after fixing it:

fixedsolaris.jpg

Edited by alex_79

EDIT: Fixed (thanks alex!), but here's a condensed version of what was changed, in case any later readers wonder-

In the second image in the post above, instead of the blue rectangle there was originally a circle which included the "key" (post which opens the dust door in a 2600 cart port), in addition to the hook on the side of the inner part of the shell. The third image had no added markings.

Edited by A.J. Franzman