IGNORED

BJL loader problem

_Fandal_

Hi!

Can somebody tell me how to use BJL loader? I'm really confused. I used Protector SE cart on my unmodified Jag but I wasn't able to load anything. I booted BJL loader from cart and then I started bjl_load.exe on my PC just to see running some "counter" on Jag. The same thing happened to me with friend's modified Jag. I wasn't able to load anything when I selected 4-bit or 8-bit mode using joypad. It only worked when I didn't select anything, just started bjl_load.exe on PC. In that case Jag suddenly started with transmission and I finally saw requested colour effect. Where could be a problem?

Thank you for your help!

F.

BJL loader works best on a DOS based OS platform. 95 or 98.

You need the program/server/uploader also on the PC side. Unzipped into a folder on your HD somewhere called BJL or whatnot.

A setpath to the BJL loader.exe in your startup files on your PC. And a file to upload to the BJL program. The BJL loader works from the DOS command line. Once you are in the directory of the BJL program to upload to the Jaguar with all the connections hooked up you would type in for instance jagmarble say:

bjl_load -n -8 jagmarble.bin

from the command line. This would tell the BJL exe program to upload jagmarble from your PC to the awaiting BJL program on the Jaguar.

BJL loader works best on a DOS based OS platform. 95 or 98.

You need the program/server/uploader also on the PC side. Unzipped into a folder on your HD somewhere called BJL or whatnot.

A setpath to the BJL loader.exe in your startup files on your PC. And a file to upload to the BJL program. The BJL loader works from the DOS command line. Once you are in the directory of the BJL program to upload to the Jaguar with all the connections hooked up you would type in for instance jagmarble say:

bjl_load -n -8 jagmarble.bin

from the command line. This would tell the BJL exe program to upload jagmarble from your PC to the awaiting BJL program on the Jaguar.

The problem is I did everything exactly this way but with no success. That's the reason why I'm asking what could be wrong...

F.

If you use Protector:SE, then you MUST have the -8 and -n options in the command line.

On a modded Jag, if you press A or C before running the uploader on your PC, you must use -n too (and also -8 if you chose 8-bit mode on the Jag by pressing A). If you did NOT press either A or C, then you must NOT use -n.

Other combinations will not work, and you'll get the symptoms you've described.

There are several other things that can cause uploads problems, but if you managed to make it work on your friend's Jag, they can probably be ruled out.

Edited by Zerosquare

If you use Protector:SE, then you MUST have the -8 and -n options in the command line.

On a modded Jag, if you press A or C before running the uploader on your PC, you must use -n too (and also -8 if you chose 8-bit mode on the Jag by pressing A). If you did NOT press either A or C, then you must NOT use -n.

Other combinations will not work, and you'll get the symptoms you've described.

There are several other things that can cause uploads problems, but if you managed to make it work on your friend's Jag, they can probably be ruled out.

It sounds logically. I must try it with -n option. Thank you for your help!

F.

Hello!

That's nice page! How long is it online, I have not seen it yet!.

I think i have uploaded the info in spring 2006, you may have overseen the simple text-based link.

BTW I see there is newer BJL than I have in my Jag. Is there ROM image with this new version of BJL available?

I have no idea, you probably have to check Bastian Schick's website for the details, he is the author of the BJL-Loader / BJL-Boot-ROM.

Kind regards

Matthias

There is only version from 1999 at 42Bastian's page. The version from your screenshot says 2005.

Yes, which reminds me - can someone please point out what the latest/best version of the BJL loader (PC client side) is, and where to get it? I've seen at least six different ones so far.

Edited by remowilliams

There is only version from 1999 at 42Bastian's page. The version from your screenshot says 2005.

Yes, which reminds me - can someone please point out what the latest/best version of the BJL loader (PC client side) is, and where to get it? I've seen at least six different ones so far.

The latest, best version in my experience is the one on Bastian's webpage from 1999.

JagWare made a couple versions which in my experience were a bit slower than standard BJL and failed to upload properly half the time. However if you have XP OS with no access to DOS based windows or Linux OS you may have to use JagWare's BJL version as its the only version attempted to be made with NT, 2000 and XP compatibility.

I trust everyone knows this, but just in case: by holding down the 4 or 8 key before powering on Prot SE, you will start BJL in either 4-bit or 8-bit mode. That will obviously affect what options you use on the command line.

Hello!

So wherefrom you took the screenshot? Even in the Protector SE is version from 1999. I have tried to contact 42Bastian, but the mail which is on his page does not work. Please have you working one?

I have checked my harddrive, but haven't found any complete BJL-ROM-Image with the latest transfer-routines.

But what i have is:

LOADER.BIN: This is the 4bit/8bit-receiving-routine for the Jaguar (as described on my BJL-loader-page).

BJL_LOAD.EXE: This is the correspondending uploader program for the DOS-PC (as described on my BJL-loader-page).

The attached ZIP-file contains both files.

BTW: My Double Feature #1 contains this 2005-version of LOADER.BIN :-)

If you have an older BJL-loader (either embedded in your BJL-ROM or in Protector SE or other) you can always first load the latest LOADER.BIN and then your "application" or "data".

Here an example assuming that you have your old loader already started in 8bit-mode on the Jaguar (else ommit the -n-switch when using the BJL-ROM):

bjl_load -n -8 -b 0x1fc000 loader.bin

This will load the LOADER.BIN to $1fc000 and start it immediately (if the load was successfull).

Kind regards

Matthias

BJL_loader2005.zip

Edited by Matthias

I trust everyone knows this, but just in case: by holding down the 4 or 8 key before powering on Prot SE, you will start BJL in either 4-bit or 8-bit mode. That will obviously affect what options you use on the command line.
Well, I didn't ; I thought P:SE only supported 8-bit mode (I don't have the game). Thanks for the clarification. :)