IGNORED

Sega Nomad

It uses the same screen as the Game Gear, IIRC.

IMO, it's not worth checking to find out. The Game Gear screen is very fragile once its removed from the unit. It's got about a billion conductors in one of those foam strips, too. Chances are if you remove the screen from its mount, you won't get it working ever again. I wouldn't be surprised if the same holds true for the Nomad, too.

Save yourself the trouble of ripping down a 'Gear, find a replacement screen for your nomad, and start praying.

From one seller that i bought my nomad from discountgames( 50718) on eBay He was/still is selling Nomads for 84.99 with a replacement screen fortuneatly the original screen on mine is close to mint so i have spare incase it does get messed up

Maaybe he has just the screens can't hurt to ask

now need to locate a GG screen

Edited by HatNJ

From one seller that i bought my nomad from discountgames( 50718) on eBay He was/still is selling Nomads for 84.99 with a replacement screen fortuneatly the original screen on mine is close to mint so i have spare incase it does get messed up

I think thats the same guy that I was thinking about that sells the screens :)

Are you sure the screen is the problem, and not the backlight? If the screen is busted, it's probably a lot easier (and not much more expensive at all) to just buy an all new system.

However, if the backlight is burned out, or broken, you can get one out of just about any of the old school backlight game systems. They all had the same power consumption, and they were all just minature florecent tubes anyways. Heck, you might could replace that with a few bright white LED's and masively improve battery life for that matter.

Anyhow, check it out. But don't chunk it, I'm sure there are people who would buy even a busted one for quiet a bit. My freeky arse would, if it didn't cost to much.

I think thats the same guy that I was thinking about that sells the screens :)

I belive that the people selling replacement screens for the Nomad are selling just the protective plastic screen and not the actual LCD/TFT, whatever screen. Expecially when you notice that these screens are going for less than $10. If the screen itself is bad, you are in trouble. However, if it is just the protective cover, they are a piece of cake to replace.

JY

It uses the same screen as the Game Gear, IIRC.

I don't think so - My Nomad has a much better screen than my Game Gear did.

You're right, the Nomad's display is slightly larger and has a lower resolution than the one on the GG.

LOWER resolution?

The GG was already lower res than the SMS, which was itself lower-res than the Genny. I can't imagine how they could possibly get away with a lower-res display than the GG for a portable Genny.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else had problems with Nomads locking up while playing a game if you shake them around a bit too much? I have two, and while I'm not entirely sure both have done this, it's a pretty annoying problem. I'm thinking that maybe there's a cold solder joint on the cartridge port connector or something, but I haven't tried opening one up.

Yeah, the cartridge port is a little iffy at times. I also had problems with the AC adaptor jack on my Nomad... the solder joint was broken, so it only work if I physically held the cord in place (thus forcing together the solder joint inside the Nomad). I eventually drilled out the stupid security screw in there and re-soldered the joint and it works great now.

So, if you're always playing on AC, try playing off batteries for a while and see if it still happens... you might have a bad AC jack too.

--Zero

I've had issues with some games in the Nomad. The Genny carts were a couple of different sizes, and the smaller ones seem to be more sensitive to bieng moved around. And don't try it with the tower of death (A game genie, or Sonic Knuckles cart, or worse, a Genie/sonicknuckles/sonic 2/3 piled up in there. It might work, for five seconds, or untill you need to breathe, whichever comes first :P