IGNORED

Any links for advice on Atari 2600 repair?

khisanth

Hi everyone and Happy New Year

Does anyone know of any sites (good or otherwise) that have documentation on repairing 2600's? schematics, component lists etc.

I was given a non working 2600 over the christmas period on the off chance i could get it working you see! Hopefully its something simple like a dry solder joint or aged electolytic capacitor etc.

Hi everyone and Happy New Year

Does anyone know of any sites (good or otherwise) that have documentation on repairing 2600's? schematics, component lists etc.

I was given a non working 2600 over the christmas period on the off chance i could get it working you see! Hopefully its something simple like a dry solder joint or aged electolytic capacitor etc.

Explain non working... it could be as simple as a different AC Adapter.

Does it even power on at all?

Edited by keilbaca

Which screw gave you trouble? The 6-switch consoles have 8 screws on the bottom, but the 2 in the middle (which should have washers under their heads) do not need to be removed if you only want to open the plastic case. Just opening the case gives you access to the switch board, which has the switches, RF modulator and voltage regulator on it. Once you have confirmed that your AC adapter works, there are more things you can check without removing those other 2 screws to get into the shielding.

On the other hand, if the screw that would not come out is preventing you from getting the case fully open, there may be a way to get it out. Is the screw not turning, or is it turning but not backing out? If you can turn it but it doesn't come out, you may be able to remove it by turning the screw while applying force to separate the parts at the same time. Of course, this often requires 3 or 4 hands but you may be able to do it by yourself if you're clever.

Edited by A.J. Franzman