IGNORED

New 2600 game development

Simon

Hello everybody,

I hope that you had a good start into 2007 and wish you all the best.

I used a few hours of my spare time around christmas to start working on a new game for the VCS. Please find attached an early version of this game development.

You guide a helicopter through a canyon and have to avoid obstacles.

Up and down moves the heli up/down the screen. Left increases and right decreases the flying height of the helicopter.

You have to fly above or below the cross braces (depending on their height) and try to fly through the holes in the round row of columns.

Thanks,

Simon

http://www.quernhorst.de/atari/

post-748-1167910818_thumb.png

02_igame_sq.bin

I used a few hours of my spare time around christmas to start working on a new game for the VCS. Please find attached an early version of this game development.

Up and down moves the heli up/down the screen. Left increases and right decreases the flying height of the helicopter.

You have to fly above or below the cross braces (depending on their height) and try to fly through the holes in the round row of columns.

I haven't tried the .BIN yet, but the screenshot looks great! :)

Michael

Note: If you are running this in Stella, you need to set it to PAL mode and reload the ROM.

Just an FYI, not in the forthcoming release you won't :) I plan to do a 2.3.5 release of Stella in a week or so, and it includes NTSC/PAL autodetection, as well as improved bankswitch autodetection.

Hi and thanks for the feedback so far!

Please find attached the updated version of this new game deveopment (the work in progress name is "I-Projekt")...

I improved the display routine and we now have four individual enemy objects on screen:

- The cross braces which have to be avoided by going above or below them.

- The fence which is only dangerous to your heli when flying at the lowest height.

- The rows of round columns which have to be sidestepped through their holes as you can't fly above/below them.

- The homing missile which is always aiming at you and will follow your movements immediately.

They can all move individually without flicker and I plan to have them moving faster and closer to increase the game's difficulty level.

There is no chance of escaping the homing missile at the moment. I envision avoiding their hits by deactivating them with your joystick button somehow (disarming, shooting, hacking, or sth. like that).

Later,

Simon

post-748-1168097518_thumb.png

03_igame_sq.bin

Hi,

I had some thoughts about eliminating the homing missile which is aiming at you. I didn't prefer the simple "shooting it down" option...

The attached version contains a small frequency scanner bar now. Every time you press the fire button now, the white scanner position is reset to the left of the bar.

If you press fire while the white scanner touches the aim at the right side of the bar, then the missile is destroyed.

Storywise it would be told like this: "Use the frequency scanner to disarm the missile. You have to press the fire button when your scanner reaches the correct frequency!".

What do you think?

Later,

Simon

post-748-1168184231_thumb.png

04_igame_sq.bin

Hello everybody,

I hope that you had a good start into 2007 and wish you all the best.

Thanks,

Simon

http://www.quernhorst.de/atari/

This game looks great Simon :)

I'm excited to hear/see more

Thanks for your feedback!

But I'm having hand-eye coordination problems while playing this game.

You have to look at the radar and the playing screen at the same time.

What about slowing the missile down by at least 3 times its current speed?

The current version is just a "proof of concept" that all objects can move individually on screen, that all collision and height detections work, that the display is fine, that the counters work, etc.

I did not design the levels and the difficulty curve so far. This means that the difficulty is not final yet. I imagine the current level of difficulty being at about 4 of 5 (with 1 being the easiest adnd 5 being the hardest). The current level is playable if you take some time for practise.

The missile thing is not that hard if you find yourself the rhythm when to look where... :)

Thanks,

Simon

Simon,

I find level three still impossible to master.

The rocket is constantly popping up and IMO flying too fast.

I know you programmed it and are used to the game mechanics, but trust me: it's still too tough to play.

My advice:

Skip the radar.

Shoot the homing missile with a rocket by pressing the fire button.

Your rocket follows your left/right movement (perhaps even your up/down movement by making it bigger/smaller).

Keep the fire button pressed and release it when your rocket is in the missile to destroy the missile.

Simple as pie.

It keeps the focus on the playfield, which I think is very important.

BTW:

Please change the colour of the homing missile.

It's hardly visible when flying over the green background.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Thanks for your feedback,

I find level three still impossible to master.

The rocket is constantly popping up and IMO flying too fast.

I know you programmed it and are used to the game mechanics, but trust me: it's still too tough to play.

Yes. As written before this level is hard (about difficulty 4 of 5). It will be one of the last levels (maybe level 14 of 16 or something like that), but as it's not impossible I'll keep it as it is...

The learning curve of every game should bring you to a point which is "tough to play".

Skip the radar.

Shoot the homing missile with a rocket by pressing the fire button.

Your rocket follows your left/right movement (perhaps even your up/down movement by making it bigger/smaller).

Keep the fire button pressed and release it when your rocket is in the missile to destroy the missile.

Simple as pie.

The possible solutions are not that simple, because:

- Your "timed shooting" isn't possible, because there is no object left which could be used as a rocket to shoot down the missile. All objects are used already on one scanline.

- as the missile is always on your height, "normal shooting (without timing)" would be too easy as you could simply use rapid fire. That would be far too easy and completely useless.

I'll have to think about this topic again.

BTW: Please change the colour of the homing missile.

It's hardly visible when flying over the green background.

Colors are not final in this version. BTW: the homing missile is technically limited to the same colors as the helicopter.

Later,

Simon

Hi,

@Rom Hunter - what do you think of this solution: additional to the radar bar on top of the screen, the game creates a frequency tone. According to the bar on top, the tone will change when it is in the "disable range".

This means that you could just concentrate eyewise on the playfield while you listen to the frequecy earwise. And to learn about the frequency you can always have a fast look at the radar bar above.

I'll try that out soon.

Have a nice day,

Simon