IGNORED

New 2600 game development

Simon

Hi,

please find attached the updated development version of this game. I worked on the following things:

- Soundeffects (rotor blade, explosion, missile deactivation frequency)

- A lot of game logic (scrolling all objects out when destination is reached, level init, no movement at explosion, etc.)

- Explosion animation

I'm looking forward to any feedback.

Thanks,

Simon

010_igame_sq.bin

Pretty good, though agreed with RH about the chopper sound. Should be more fwip-fwip-fwip-fwip instead of just one long ffffffffff.

And it is more playable with the detection sound, though it seems more tedious than fun to hit the trigger every time you hear the beep. I think the missiles should be dodge-able, and the missile-deactivation should be a backup and maybe a bit harder to execute.

Maybe require two trigger presses to destroy a missile: the missile-deactivator is normally on standby (not moving), you press the trigger once to begin a single sweep; press again when it is in the "zone" to deactivate the missile. And make the position (and width) of the zone dependent on the missile's distance from you: When the missile is at the far end of the screen the "kill zone" is very small and at the far right end of the "bar." As the missile moves closer the zone expands a little and moves nearer to the left end of the bar.

EDIT: And maybe make the missile track your position faster/more accurately while the missile-deactivator is in use (while it is sweeping across).

Edited by vdub_bobby

A gameplay suggestion - how about making it so as you drop in altitiude, the copter speeds up and also moves to the right on screen a little bit (giving you less reaction time). I think this would add a little more challenge and variety to it, and also give more of a feel of "flying" to the copter, rather than it being on rails.

And I agree about the chopper sounds. Needs to be more "fwipy". :)

Just as an aside... how many 2600 games have helicopters in them? I can think of Chopper Command, Air-Sea Battle, Space Jockey, Commando Raid, River Raid, River Raid II, Cave1k... there must be others.

Edited by Nathan Strum

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi everybody,

I found the time to continue the game development of my 5th VCS game. I decided to finally call it "I Project".

Please find attached two screenshots of the current version: one showing the introduction sequence and one showing the first level.

Also attached is the current development version as binary, so you can check it out yourselves.

The game is fully playable although nothing is final by now. Colors are going to be changed. The levels are passing so fast because of testing purposes. Some sound effects have to be done or reworked.

I'm looking forward to your comments on intro and game.

Thanks,

Simon

post-748-1194591867_thumb.png

post-748-1194591884_thumb.png

13_igame_sq.bin

thought it looked familiar, just realized this topic's from the start of the year :lol:

That's right, it took me some time for a new version of this game...

The more important "homebrew project" for 2007 was the birth of our first son Linus. :D

I hope to finish this small game within my christmas holidays, so I'd really like to read your opinions about the current version.

Thanks,

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

attached to this post is the latest version of the development file.

The following things were implemented:

- Helicopter sound (thanks for suggestion to Thomas Jentzsch)

- Graphics flashing in introduction

- Horizontal helicopter positions depending on flight level

- Wide and narrow holes in the columns

- Random generator for the beam which appears on all three levels

The label picture (for manual and box, too) was already designed - and believe me: it's going to be a BIG surprise! :D

I'm looking forward to feedback.

Simon

14C_IProject_SQ.bin

• 4 months later...

Hi,

after finishing "4K4U" I returned to "I Project" and implemented the following things:

- memory optimizing

- increasing level difficulty

- ending

- logicial bug in object movement delay removed

Please find attached the current version.

It would be great if someone could test it on real hardware (Cuttle/Croco Cart) and let me know about it.

Next steps: the splashscreen may be changed/enhanced a bit and playtesting of all levels has to be done.

I will definately make a limited edition of this game again, but it will be a smaller amount of copies (about 30) as more people prefer getting a cart with manual instead of a complete boxed set.

I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Best regards,

Simon

019_igame_sq.bin

I just think it's pretty cool that a 14 year old has such an interest in a classic system as a 2600 amidst the uber graphics and sound capabilities of xboxes and playstations. :) Keep up the good work.

P.S. Oops wrong thread, this was meant for the kid doing the Vong game. Doh!!

Edited by NickelPlate

Hello,

the current status of this development (PAL):

- the difficulty levels were adjusted (speed, distance between objects, width of holes in columns)

- bonus lives after level 09 and 19 added

- bug removed: error sound at GameOver/TheEnd screen

A bug from an earlier test version (flickering of bar object on a real console) was removed.

gambler172 tested the new version on a real 7800 and found this bug removed.

A test pcb is currently made by Al.

Afterwards I'll finally test it on real hardware and hopefully... :)

Best regards,

Simon

Hello,

I'm not sure about creating an NTSC version right now. It depends on the people's interest in getting an NTSC cartridge from the AtariAge store. I already asked Al about the sales statistics of my last games... we'll see.

If people prefer playing the game on an emulator, a PAL version would be enough for everybody, because the emulators can handle that worldwide. And the interested collectors from NTSC area would fetch the game as PAL cartridge, too.

Instead of converting the game into an NTSC version, I would prefer working on a new game. We'll see about this topic soon.

Could you make the explosion much quicker? The downtime after running into something is very long!

No. It is thought this way, because the time may be needed to scroll all shown obstacles out of the screen. I.e. if you collide and there is still another object on the far right side of the screen, this is to be scrolled out of the screen first. During that time the volume of the explosion is decreasing to strengthen the feeling of a crashing helicopter.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Simon

I know that there is at least one homebrew where the developer used the BW/Color switch to change between NTSC and PAL. Is something like this not an option? It would be a real shame to see this new game limited to only one side of the big pond