IGNORED

VecFlash USB

Will this new SD card cart expand the 1k of memory the Vectrex has?

Yes. It has 64K of SRAM. It can be used in the existing way, in that a 32K portion can be code and RAM. (e.g. AnimAction - 8K code 2K RAM)

'RAM bank-switching' should also be possible to allow the other 32K to come into play.

Are there any plans to make more of the speech adapters for the Vectrex?

Yes, the AtariVox 2 supports both the VecVoice and VecVox modes (as well as AtariVox). It's being built by Glenn Saunders and will be back in the AA store soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I've finished testing the cart with every normal game, 64K bank-switched game, and games with extra RAM and they all work fine.

Also, the menu entries can now be up to 13 chars in length.

Sounds great. Looking forward to buying one.

Also if anyone can help our group secure a Vectrex we would love to hear from you!.

Most likely it would have to come from the UK and by surface mail to .AU to keep things affordable and compatible with our power here.

There seems to be a lot of them on eBay lately in the UK.

~Ken - vk4akp. Sj of the RCC. http://shazam.zapto.org

.-.-.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a vectrex recently and was looking into the vecflash but I waited too long and now see its sold out. How long before you release your vecflash sd? Are you going to be putting out the usb version again or are you replacing it with the sd version?

Also, could the sd version save high scores?

Both versions sound great though I'm a bit hesitant to spend that much on a vectrex item despite being a great value. I'm not much of a collector and usually use emulators but the vectrex was too unique and cool to pass up. I ordered my protector/yasi cart already and I'm sure will get one of your multicarts at some point.

How long before you release your vecflash sd?

I was close to releasing it when a friend tried it on his console and it wouldn't work :(

I've now sent the cart (aka VecMulti) to a friend with 12 consoles and am waiting the outcome of the testing.

Are you going to be putting out the usb version again

I have a few PCB's left, so I might put some more for sale if the new cart is going to take a long time.

Also, could the sd version save high scores?

It should be possible.

• 1 month later...
Ah, did you get any feedback from him yet?

He did a quick test on 2 of his consoles and it worked fine. So I'm thinking rare glitch.

I'm building up 50 at the moment, and a friend is doing me a nice label.

Outstanding!

I managed to dig up a 64meg micro SD for the VecMulti, and will order as soon as it's available.

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!

:lust:

• 2 months later...

Wow, Nice!

Are you hand soldering all those surface mount IC's? OMG your keen!

Hey out of interest, was there ever a way to network Vectrex's together to play multi player games at all?

Could the next design for the VecMulti perhaps have a NIC (RJ45 Ethernet) connector added?

Networking could open up all sorts of fun stuff for the Vectrex.

It's become a very common thing these days for other retro machines.

SD card, & NIC seem to be the two big things needed to expand any nice old retro console or computer.

.-.-.

Ah, did you get any feedback from him yet?

He did a quick test on 2 of his consoles and it worked fine. So I'm thinking rare glitch.

I'm building up 50 at the moment, and a friend is doing me a nice label.

Are you hand soldering all those surface mount IC's?

Yes

Those are easy compared to the 48-pin TSOP on the FlashBoy cart.

was there ever a way to network Vectrex's together to play multi player games at all?

Yes, you just need a lead connecting the 2nd controller ports of both machines. There's a wiring diagram and some demo code around somewhere.

Could the next design for the VecMulti perhaps have a NIC (RJ45 Ethernet) connector added?

I wouldn't know where to start

There's more info somewhere, but this from the inventor Alex Herbert.

Alex disapeared a while back, I don't know what happened to him. I do know he was having some health problems at the time. It's a real shame because the guy was a genius at coding / electronics.

His last activity here was "Sep 8 2007 2:37 AM" and it seems his site has not been updated in years...

Protector is my favorite game for the system.

Oh Wow, Thanks. Now to find how to make the adapter.

And yes it's a terrible shame so many wonderful things, information, and people lost to time.

I hope we see Alex conquer his health issues and return for many many more enjoyable years in the scene.

As far as where to start re adding Ethernet to the VecMulti have a look here for some idea's.

Ethernet / WiFi options.

This is just a bit of a starting point to give an idea on just how much stuff is out there now to build with.

Quiet amazing. There is even a self contained RJ45 connector that has the complete CCT offering Ethernet and even WiFi embedded into the connector. This is made by Digi but might be a bit cost restrictive for the VecMulti+.

However I am told by friends in the know that there are several very cheap Pic Micro IC's now that offer Ethernet connectivity.

Perhaps a keyboard and mouse connector compatible with standard PC bits would also be a good idea?

Vector based web browsing anyone¿? LOL ;)

The sky's the limit these days really. If some of the original designers of these wonderful old machines could see all the amazing stuff retro buffs are doing with the gear these day's they'd probably poke a big hole through the lids of their coffins with a big stiffie!. ;)

.-.-.

There's more info somewhere, but this from the inventor Alex Herbert.

Alex disapeared a while back, I don't know what happened to him. I do know he was having some health problems at the time. It's a real shame because the guy was a genius at coding / electronics.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of adding 'modern' stuff like WiFi and Ethernet to an 80's console. When I made the Vec / Atarivox I searched for a long time for a speech chip with the right sounding voice for the era.

A guy did make a PS/2 interface for the Vec. Keyboards are a bit silly as it can't display much text without major screen wobble. But a mouse would be good for games like Patriots(missile command).

Got mine already!

It turned up a couple of days ago!. :)

It is truly a wonderful and amazing device!

And the quality of the surface mount soldering job, OMG.. Perfection! How does he do this so well by hand ?? :|

.slide_IMGP1587.JPG

.slide_IMGP1589.JPG

.slide_IMGP1617.JPG

You can see the original pictures and click on them to enlarge.

here: ShaZaM; Vectrex MultiCart Pics.

Sorry about the picture quality. Not enough lighting in the room for black items.

.-.-.

I can't wait for mine to arrive!

To be honest, I'm not a fan of adding 'modern' stuff like WiFi and Ethernet to an 80's console. When I made the Vec / Atarivox I searched for a long time for a speech chip with the right sounding voice for the era.

Yes this is a hard thing I guess.

Everyone has their own views on the subject of keeping things original.

For example me, well I can't stand when people put holes in cases to add reset or ROM change switches etc.

Yet others love to pimp their machines. They can't get enough switches, buttons, knobs, colour changes or overlays on their retro machine casing.

But for me I believe it's a piece of history and deserves to be kept original.

And I can appreciate your efforts in trying to keep the VoX side of things original sounding for the era.

But it's all really a matter of perspective.

SD cards for storage are way into the future for a Vectrex yet we are lucky and now have a way to use these.

I think it's a matter of looking at what it can offer the user as far as..

1. Helping to keep the platforms alive and enjoyed.

2. Enhancing the experience.

3. Costing, (addons need to be affordable).

A network interface would mean that Vectrex users could play games with each other across the globe.

Since we represent a very small niche group these days that's a big thing in favour of helping to keep the interest alive.

If we could get some 3D Imager headset kits on the go again too, that would be a killer combination.

Networked 3D Colour Vector games with speech anyone???!!! Yes please! :)

Ethernet options have been made now for the Commodore 64, Amiga, & Apple IIe. In each case it has been very positive and successful.

The two big things that seem to regenerate interest in retro computing and help keep these old platforms alive are storage & connectivity.

We have the storage sorted (SD cards) now it's only the connectivity left.

Maybe a simple way to address this could be just to make or use a serial to Ethernet module. And chain it on the second joystick port like with the VecVox?

My question there would be. Can devices co exist on this port? 2nd Joystick, VecVox, SLIP device?

And what sort of serial speed can be handled by the Vectrex on the 2nd joystick port?

As far as originality is concerned, we would only really be extending the original Idea someone had of networking Vectrex's via the 2nd joystick port anyhow.

.-.-.

Edited by vk4akp

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived! Yeay! Wow, that was fast from the U.K.!!

That is one beautiful cart...

Just a few questions:

Are there any known compatibility/sizing issues with Micro SD cards? I don't have one yet, so I'll be picking one up..

But I'd hate to get one and find out it was too big or ???

Also, are there any tricks to putting the games on the card?

Just place the *.bin files on the card?

(The only other similar cart I have is the CC2 for my 7800, and that needs certain versions of the roms and a certain text file updated...)

Also, I see some empty spots on the board for pins. I am assuming I could add a 4 PIN usb port on the 4 pins to the right of the SD slot? (Software?)

There other rows of pins on the top left I probably don't need?

I'm not sure I'd need the USB myself, unless I actually do get around to trying to develop something for the Vec..

I keep saying I might try at some point..

Again, this is an incredible looking cart!!!!

desiv

was there ever a way to network Vectrex's together to play multi player games at all?

Yes, you just need a lead connecting the 2nd controller ports of both machines. There's a wiring diagram and some demo code around somewhere.

Do you know where this demo code is located? I was a interested in doing this at one point and heard someone had accomplished this before. If you had a link, that would be helpful. Thanks.

--Selgus