IGNORED

What scsi drives suitable for Atari ST/Mega use?

mons2b

Sorry but I did search the internet and I am still confused , I wanted to know what was the best to use with an ACSI to SCSI 19 pin to 2 pin converter, and you seem to know about these things that's why I posted, I am getting my hands on converter and a box with a SCSI 2 in connector on it, or a scsi hard drive with an adaptec pci card in my windows 7 PC. Thanks for your time. Russ

I dont have a lot of money. Where can I get a Host adapter so I can get some scsi's together and attempt to use them?

JW

Going the SCSI route is probably one of the more expensive ways to get mass storage on the ST series, unless you have the host adapter already.

Have you considered a Satandisk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear that you can take an adaptec PCI card in an old computer and put a sczi drive into it, and with a 19 to 25 pin adapter you can easily hook it up to your ATari st(E) , don't know what software to use hddriver comes to mind

Russ

Russ, like Adaptec PCI controller on the PC, you will also need a SCSI host adapter for your ST.

If you do get a host adapter for your ST, just source 50 pin SCSI 1 drives to keep things simple. You may need an external housing for the drive with a Centronics connection though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks vattari:

I already have an sh204 coming my way, and lot of compatible drives to choose from , my friend says he has lots of good mfm drives to choose from , also 19 pin to 25 pin adapters, more than likely compatible with the Atari ST , I will know tomorrow when I go to his place, all of his drives are enclose in a box of some sort. Russ

Yeah, there is SCSI , oh, I'm sorry sczi drive with 25 pin connector :twisted: The software you need is called: search Internet before writing something really st* here .

Really, bro? After all the undeserved abuse you've taken, you think it's cool to just shit on the guy? I've had your back. Don't make me regret it with this kind of hypocritical nonsense.

I already have an sh204 coming my way, and lot of compatible drives to choose from , my friend says he has lots of good mfm drives to choose from

The SH204 does indeed take an MFM hard disk inside, so you should be able to swap it out. Remember, the SH204 has a 19-pin ACSI DMA port in the rear, but you'll need a cable to connect it to the corresponding port on the Atari ST. Some drives have a cable extending from the enclosure that can plug straight in, but the SH204 is not one of them.

also 19 pin to 25 pin adapters, more than likely compatible with the Atari ST

There is no such thing as a passive 19 to 25 pin adapter that will make a device with a DB25 SCSI port work on the Atari's DB19 ACSI port. By passive adapter, I mean something that simply routes signals from one connector's pin configuration to another's. What is needed is an active device called a host adapter. There is a host adapter in the SH204 that actively translates the MFM protocol to and from Atari's ACSI protocol. ICD's Link II device is deceptive because of it's all-in-one design. It appears to just be a bulky passive adapter, but there is a real, active host adapter in that thing.

Really, bro? After all the undeserved abuse you've taken, you think it's cool to just shit on the guy? I've had your back. Don't make me regret it with this kind of hypocritical nonsense.

Uf. There is difference between 'abuse' because some just don't understand you + are even lazy to read whole threads, and 'shit' on someone - who repeatedly writes so wrong.

25 pin SCSI ? Where is such ? Or "anyone had bad luck by dropping thier ST" ?

So, by you we should not be ever sarcastic with people who just don't take care about what writes in some forum ? Computers are all about accuracy. Sorry that I'm professionally deformed. Or maybe I'm who is OK, and World is what became deformed. All that correctness, "be nice" leads where ? To some pseudo equality, where all we will be same, happy and so on. That's never gonna happen. Only that good and careful people will feel that their effort is not appreciated, and those who don't care for some level of their work, writings want same respect. No, respect should come for something done properly.

Look that floppy thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/286419-difference-between-sf314-and-industry-standard-720k-drives/

I gave detailed answer, with my WEBpage, what took time and effort to be made, including time for research, time to solve WP problem. And then what ? Following post: "The DS0 and DS1 jumpers, that's pretty much it."

Sure, if you are shallow and never tested it little more, and see how can screw whole floppy content because Atari will not detect floppy change. Same like MugUks article at AF, where he tested BigDOS partition with only small data on it. All was OK, because did not go over 32 MB 'line' * after it, data corruption started with that driver and partition type. I wrote there about it, and he never corrected or removed his text.

Thank you for your great help ... Maybe one day I will see some test done too ....

Uf. There is difference between 'abuse' because some just don't understand you + are even lazy to read whole threads, and 'shit' on someone - who repeatedly writes so wrong.

25 pin SCSI ? Where is such ? Or "anyone had bad luck by dropping thier ST" ?

So, by you we should not be ever sarcastic with people who just don't take care about what writes in some forum ? Computers are all about accuracy. Sorry that I'm professionally deformed. Or maybe I'm who is OK, and World is what became deformed. All that correctness, "be nice" leads where ? To some pseudo equality, where all we will be same, happy and so on. That's never gonna happen. Only that good and careful people will feel that their effort is not appreciated, and those who don't care for some level of their work, writings want same respect. No, respect should come for something done properly.

Look that floppy thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/286419-difference-between-sf314-and-industry-standard-720k-drives/

I gave detailed answer, with my WEBpage, what took time and effort to be made, including time for research, time to solve WP problem. And then what ? Following post: "The DS0 and DS1 jumpers, that's pretty much it."

Sure, if you are shallow and never tested it little more, and see how can screw whole floppy content because Atari will not detect floppy change. Same like MugUks article at AF, where he tested BigDOS partition with only small data on it. All was OK, because did not go over 32 MB 'line' * after it, data corruption started with that driver and partition type. I wrote there about it, and he never corrected or removed his text.

Thank you for your great help ... Maybe one day I will see some test done too ....

Accurate for 720k drives. Can't speak to shoe-horning in a 1.44 as detailed, quite nicely, on the webpage.

Cheers

WP line is same on 1.44 drives too. I mean those PC compatible ones. On Atari compatible drives it is solved differently, as everyone can read on that page. I made tests about how whole floppy change detection works with TOS and Ataris floppy controller solution. It's same on Mega STE, TT, Falcon - which can work with 1.44 drives.

And we have again case of blatant shallowness (yes, sue me, hate me for this words) - https://www.dreamhardware.com/floppy-drive-3-5-1-44mb-fg-357-japan-21480.html

25 pin SCSI ? Where is such ?

The Atari TT, for example, has an external DB25 SCSI port, no? Some old Macs had them, too.

Or "anyone had bad luck by dropping thier ST" ?

The "Universal 4" Drop" fix has been going around for as long as I've been into the ST. Here's a link. See item 3.6 http://www.atari.org/hosted/quickfaq/stfaq_3.htm#6

So, by you we should not be ever sarcastic with people who just don't take care about what writes in some forum ?

The problem is your assumption that others "just don't take care about" what they write in these forums. For my part, I often post questions here that might otherwise be answered by enormous amounts of other research. I like to believe, however, that the community is made up of generous people who are happy to engage in these kinds of conversations. You, on the other hand, seem to be inconvenienced by the questions asked here and, instead of ignoring them, insist on insulting the askers. Please see the parallels between the way others have mistreated you in your discussion threads and your comparable behavior here.

Computers are all about accuracy.

No. Computers are all about people. Accuracy is a benefit that those people often enjoy in the application of computers to human problems. But make no mistake, it is only the people that matter, not the computers.

Sorry that I'm professionally deformed.

I think professionally, you may be among the best of us. It is on the personal level that I think you have some rather profound misconceptions. I would guess that your life has been filled with people who motivated you by withholding appreciation and lashing out with disapproval. And in a high-stakes, life-or-death situation, that kind of harsh programming can be productive; even necessary. Atari computers, however, are now in the realm of hobby and relaxation. We congregate here to appreciate the computers, the people, and participate in the discussions that fuel good feelings of nostalgia. To anyone for whom this is not the case, I invite them to consider leaving the community. They make neither themselves, nor the people here, any happier.

Or maybe I'm who is OK, and World is what became deformed.

This is the question asked by all mentally ill people of themselves at some point. I know you ask it rhetorically...for the most part.

All that correctness, "be nice" leads where ? To some pseudo equality, where all we will be same, happy and so on.

No, it leads to tolerance, and some room made by the brilliant for those of us who are not quite as intelligent or capable. I understand your concern. In critically important areas of science, academy, research, and productivity, nothing may be tolerated that will delay or dilute the outcome. Atari computers are not a critically important endeavor. They are a hobby. An amusement. A pretext for finding commonality between like-minded people and giving them opportunities to enjoy community. You are such an unparalleled mind and resource to this community that I would hate to lose you, but if you do not understand these forums and our discussions as being about the people, then you are missing the point entirely. The enormous positive impact you could have is often muted by the repulsive content and character of your words.

That's never gonna happen.

It is going to happen, whether you like it or not. If you don't learn to be civil, over time, you will have fewer and fewer advocates. Fewer and fewer moderators will turn a blind eye when you come back to forums from which you were previously banned. Soon, all of your second chances to be part of this community, which values pleasant human interaction more than technical perfection, will be gone. You will go away and you will blame the world for not understanding you or living up to your code of excellence. Or, you will come to understand that if you want to actually have an audience for your technical genius and a community to appreciate and use your excellent work, you had better learn how to address them in a manner that does not constantly belittle, dismiss, and offend.

...respect should come for something done properly.

Wrong. Respect should be offered by default; demonstrating the dignity of the one who gives it and in acknowledgement of the dignity of the one receiving it. "Something done properly" may add to respect, things like acknowledgement, authority, appreciation. But we are all people here, adults, home-owners, bread winners, raisers of family, caregivers. That someone has believed themselves knowledgeable about Atari computers, but been wrong concerning the subject, does not, in any way, make them less eligible for, or deserving of, respect.

Look that floppy thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/286419-difference-between-sf314-and-industry-standard-720k-drives/. I gave detailed answer, with my WEBpage, what took time and effort to be made, including time for research, time to solve WP problem. And then what ? Following post: "The DS0 and DS1 jumpers, that's pretty much it." Sure, if you are shallow and never tested it little more, and see how can screw whole floppy content because Atari will not detect floppy change. Same like MugUks article at AF, where he tested BigDOS partition with only small data on it. All was OK, because did not go over 32 MB 'line' * after it, data corruption started with that driver and partition type. I wrote there about it, and he never corrected or removed his text.

The more you push my attention to situations where you demonstrated superior technical knowledge, but celebrated that superiority by demeaning and degrading the other participants in the discussion, the more you make it clear that you have missed the point of this endeavor entirely. Do you want to be a teacher or a tyrant? A servant or a dictator. You're smart. Great. You have done fantastic work and been generous in its distribution and support. Fabulous. But the net result of your impact on this community is, as far as I can see, even. You have given quite a bit, you have taken away in equal amounts. Don't you get tired of working so hard, doing such great work, and somehow being despised anyway? Did you see the movie "Hancock". That's you. 100%. Learn from that movie.

I would love to spend more time testing your brilliant game adaptations. Unfortunately, I am posting 10,000 words per week defending your cause and trying to offer you some example of diplomacy and dignified debate. Help me help you by offering words of perspective and assistance with charity and generosity, instead of superiority and ridicule.

• Like 1

It is not about superiority. It is about damn simple thing: take care what you talk, what you write, how you do it. What the heck is "anyone had bad luck by dropping thier ST" . As I know anyone is not plural. But even if is, that's their. I would not say a word if man who wrote it did not make errors all time. Maybe his problem was that his teachers were too tolerant. Mine were not, and that's good, even if I did not like that on those situations.

To cut the crap: what I should do in discussion when someone does not see the obvious ? Be nice and talk with him like he is in right ? That it is 1.44 MB floppy drive was visible even om that my page. Was no need to add external link. But I did it. I doublechecked my claims. The problem here is that many do not even single check.

All this new age PR blah is just making things worse.

"No. Computers are all about people. Accuracy is a benefit that those people often enjoy in the application of computers to human problems. But make no mistake, it is only the people that matter, not the computers."

You completely missed the point, and talk here like you know everything best (well, that's usual phrase in situation like this) . Computers are not about people. Computers are tools which can be used in right, in wrong, and even in destructive way. Like kitchen knife. Only that learning proper usage of computer takes 'little' more time. Accuracy is not benefit - accuracy is what will prevent you that cut your finger instead carrot.

And I will stop here with this. Try to use something, what we used to say here, in poor translation to English "Healthy country-folk logic" (Zdravoseljachka logika) , or in other my native lang. "Sober country-folk sense" (Józan paraszti ész) - instead all that newage crap circulating around, just because some very reach people think that they know things better just because became rich (usually with very dirty methods) . Ah, and they want to spread all it on whole Planet. With devastating results already.

It is not about superiority. It is about damn simple thing: take care what you talk, what you write, how you do it.

Ok, but who made you the accuracy police? Who are you to assume some authority over the quality of the content people post?

What the heck is "anyone had bad luck by dropping thier ST" . As I know anyone is not plural. But even if is, that's their. I would not say a word if man who wrote it did not make errors all time.

I should be very careful, if I were you, about shining a bright light on anyone else's use of English grammar and vocabulary. You have a number of enviable skills; English composition is not among them. It is obvious that the poster meant "their" instead of "thier". Whether it was a typographical error, or a legitimate misspelling, everyone knew what was meant; including you.

Maybe his problem was that his teachers were too tolerant. Mine were not, and that's good, even if I did not like that on those situations.

Maybe your problem is that your teachers weren't nearly tolerant enough. I went back and read a bit of what this person has posted. However superior your education may or may not have been, it did not win for you any superior skill for word-craft.

To cut the crap: what I should do in discussion when someone does not see the obvious ?

First, "obvious" is a subjective thing. What is obvious to you may not be obvious to another; no matter how strongly you think it should be. Allowing that someone else may have a different understanding of a thing than you do is the way that thoughtful people benefit from collaborating with each other.

Be nice and talk with him like he is in right ?

Be nice, yes. Talk with him, like he is right? No, not if he is wrong. But there is a middle-ground between agreeing with someone who is misinformed and being uncivil to them as part of demonstration it. In my experience, being right is so much sweeter when the evidence is delivered with equal measures of elegance and magnanimity.

That it is 1.44 MB floppy drive was visible even om that my page. Was no need to add external link. But I did it. I doublechecked my claims. The problem here is that many do not even single check.

I can see that it is a "pet peeve" of yours when people take the "lazy way out" and, instead of doing their own research - even to the extent that links to the information have been offered to them - they "burden" you with the questions. Have you ever considered the possibility that after being insulted by you a few times, some people simply ignore your posts? Do you realize that a great deal of what you write may actually never be read because of your reputation for delivering information with insult?

All this new age PR blah is just making things worse.

I assume by "PR" you mean "PC", as in "political correctness". I used to agree with you completely, I used to DESPISE political correctness. To me, it was a kind insincerity; a form of cowardice by which people didn't really say what they meant because others were too weak to deal with the truth. I don't feel that way anymore, however. And the thing that changed my mind on the matter was the realization that when idealism is prioritized over humanism - when concepts become more important than people - terrible things can happen. Human evolution is now social; finding practical and productive ways to improve communication and collaboration is how humanity will move into the next phase of our being. It starts with suppressing our more base, survival-motivated instincts - namely the instinct to punish weakness so as to strengthen or kill it. Instead, we now find ways to nurture and include; not in acceptance of dangerous weaknesses that may jeopardize our survival, but as a way to realize the mystical rewards of human love; whereby 1+1 can equal 100.

You completely missed the point, and talk here like you know everything best (well, that's usual phrase in situation like this).

Admittedly, I suffer from no lack of conviction. And I do not mean to overwhelm your arguments by how I present mine. I simply disagree with you, quite vehemently in this case. I assure you that if I was not interested in your points of view, I would simply ignore you as a fool and move on. But I know you are an intelligent and passionate person, and I challenge you to debate these matters, respectfully.

Computers are not about people. Computers are tools which can be used in right, in wrong, and even in destructive way. Like kitchen knife. Only that learning proper usage of computer takes 'little' more time. Accuracy is not benefit - accuracy is what will prevent you that cut your finger instead carrot.

Right and Wrong are human concepts. What is "destructive" that is not injurious to the person? Do you not think that accuracy is a benefit if it prevents you from cutting your finger? And what has the finger? The person. I think your every example here has made it clear that without the interest of the person, and the person's uses for it, the computer simply ceases to matter at all. That is why I say, when you prioritize technical accuracy over human decency - as I am afraid your words so often do - you have missed the point entirely.

And I will stop here with this. Try to use something, what we used to say here, in poor translation to English "Healthy country-folk logic" (Zdravoseljachka logika) , or in other my native lang. "Sober country-folk sense" (Józan paraszti ész)

In America, we refer to the thing you are talking about as "common sense". It refers to the wisdom and understanding that can be reasonably assumed to be held in agreement by common people. Do my words seem to you to be those of a person who lacks "common sense"? Do I seem to you to be willfully ignorant or especially narrow-minded? Do you habitually assume that when a person does not agree with you that the person lacks "common sense". Let me offer you a bit of common sense. "Do to others as you would have them do to you". You will respond to this by saying that you have followed this rule by never allowing a person who does not understand a technical thing to continue uneducated. And I will tell you that it is not in educating them that you have failed the rule, but in delivering the education with more interest in shaming them for not knowing than in humble generosity.

- instead all that newage crap circulating around, just because some very reach people think that they know things better just because became rich (usually with very dirty methods) . Ah, and they want to spread all it on whole Planet. With devastating results already.

Do you honestly believe that rich people, as a rule, get their wealth by nefarious means? Do you believe that it is their agenda to erode integrity and excellence across the entire planet by promoting the belief in, and adoption of, "newage crap"? And by "newage crap", I assume you refer to "political correctness", defined as being respectful to people who have demonstrated misunderstanding or are unwilling to work for the information given them. Is that right?

"Ok, but who made you the accuracy police? Who are you to assume some authority over the quality of the content people post?"

And I can ask you the same question ? Who are you to tell me how to behave ? You act here like judge, like witness, explaining why people don't like me at AF forums.

I always behave nice if other side behave normally, fair. It was never me who acted first badly. And I'm not Englishman, not 'American' - is that continent or country ? You want to teach us how to behave. Behave self first decently.

I did not break forum rules, but some clearly did. Some even broke law (false accusions, and even threats (at AF). And that was OK . But it is not OK to say to someone simply that 'take care before writing something really stupid" ?

To someone who e-mailed me after that my 'so insulting post here' - and I will now commit serious bad act: quote it here:

"HI: I need something that will support 19 pin acsi to 25 pin scsi adapters on theST(E) and STFM, I have my 10 euros ready don't have a hard drive until after Xmas ,but I have a Gotek with HXC and a 32 GiG UB stick. Do you have anything that will support multiple hard drives on the Gotek? I know about HXCmount I have been workingon that one but have to wait until I get my 4 meg STE back online, Russ"

And my reply:

" Hi, I will reply you in atariage forum, because what have to say may be useful for others too. Actually, it will be not reply in forum self, just new thread. But you will recognize it for sure ...Only to say: no driver from me for Gotek - to make it acting 'like hard disk' with partitions (not "multiple hard drives" ) - because it is too slow to even call it hard drive. I have driver SW for UltraSatan, IDEadapters, ICD adapters + SCSI disks + some my adapter designs. Regards, Peter"

There is one mistake in my reply - "will be not reply in forum self' - that should be rather "... in thread self" .

Just to add that it is irrelevant what SCSI connector is on TT. He wants to use SCSI disk and not TT with his ST - do I really need to explain so trivial things over and over again ? I'm too good, that's my problem.

So me, the hated bad guy of Atari community spent another 20 minutes writing another educational thread.

Was it ignored by majority because they hate me, or just because they don't like to waste time with such things ?

If you look better what all is asked here , you know the answer. I wrote couple times to some : " use search - will get answer faster that way".

There was even thread where some guy asked some trivial and well known things at start. I replied couple times, and then he started to ask more, even more trivial things.

I just did the 'proper' thing - ignored it (so I behaved as many suggested - just ignore ...). And then came new post, angry post like - what kind of forum is this ? (really don't remember accurate text) . Why I stopped with answering him. :-D

It's here , Search for, if you don't believe me.

And yes, people who asks FAQ, trivial things break forum rules.

And I'm done with this stupid and totally unnecessary discussion. We don't need discussion about is Moon round or dark.