IGNORED

Is 2600 Superman the best Superman game?

tcv

Granted I am asking this in a 2600 - forum....

With the recent lackluster performance of Superman for 360/PS2 and the previous N64 bomb, it led me to wonder if the 2600 Superman was the only decent Superman video game?

If so, how come? You'd think Supes would lend himself so well to better graphics and bigger worlds.

Maybe I just don't know of other games, but is the 2600 Superman the best of the bunch?

I agree also when I got it it was for the time a deep game for the VCS Wish I never threw out the box that had "Special Edition" on it

I played most of the Superman games after that and seems like they are all the same seems fighting type games after that are the same ol tired thing just re done with different graphics and superman had his image in quite a few that just didnt do it for me

but I still pop in VCS Superman for a fun quick round.

Love to see a Sequel for the 2600 VCS

The first time I played this game was in a Sears store display. I couldn't get the thing to work, so natch, I didn't have a high opinion of it. Older and wiser, I realize I was probably fighting a broken joystick, since I just got the game last year and have no problem with it :P

Not bad at all. :cool:

While Superman-2600 is technically interesting, and beat Adventure to market even though WR started on Adventure first (he handed his early WIP off to someone else, since he had no interest in the Superman project), I don't particularly like it. To my mind, the Adventure map makes sense. While the rooms do not form a planar map, all of the connections that can be reached through normal play are locally consistent and logical. By contrast, the Superman map seems to be random. I've seen pictures of the map, but couldn't see any real logic to it. Has anyone found any rhyme or reason to the arrangement of building graphics in the map?

Well, I don't know if you'll quite find rhyme or reason. After all, to get to some of the areas, you literally flew through the street. How does that happen?

By the way, why did Superman care about the bridge to begin with?

And does the Lois Lane in the game qualify as the ugliest? ;)

I forget who, but someone has a map of Metropolis, and there is a perfectly logical sequence to the city. Learning it is the only way to beat the game with any real time.

Supes for the NES was miserable. Miserable. I would say VCS Supes is the best Supes game I have played, and that ain't sayin' much.

I forget who, but someone has a map of Metropolis, and there is a perfectly logical sequence to the city.

I've seen the map, but I don't see the logic. The city graphics and colors seem to have been selected entirely at random. In Adventure, the rooms below the Black Castle have a clearly-visible hallway running up through the center. Aside from the phone-booth room being adjacent to the bridge, is there anything about any room that suggests what other rooms should connect? Is there any logic to were the subways exit?

If the exits from the pink subway were all pink screens, the exits from the blue subway were blue screen, etc. that would make sense. This sensibility could be further enhanced if there were three styles of buildings used on subway exit screens, one for south exits, one for east exits, and one for west exits.

Is there some hidden logic to the buildings and colors, that I'm missing, or could they have been produced just as well by throwing some dice?