IGNORED

5200 diagnostic cartridge

y-bot

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one from Best. Here's a pic:

http://www.hevanet.com/ccorner/ggggg938.jpg

It looks exactly the same as the one pictured on this site. Is that the only one there is? Is Best making copies of one that was obtained from an Atari employee? Are they all old and manufactured in the 80's? Someone must know. Where are my 5200 experts?

Thanks, y-bot

Edited by y-bot

Yep, repro for sure. The pricks even went as far as to get the Atari Logo and "'82" put on the new board. Thats pathetic.

So you think even the circuit board is a reproduction. Best Electronics has 1000s of old Atari parts. I've been meaning to make a post about reproductions in general and what kind of parts are used. Do you usually use old EPROMs? These are marked AMD 1980. Is there such a thing as new EPROMs that people use to reproduce old games? So for instance say some has some rare game or prototype that used an EPROM and it was damaged and someone reprogrammed it can you tell? Or if someone programmed a rare game on it how could you tell besides the cart label? I had some more questions but I can't think of them right now and I should probably get back to work.

Thanks, y-bot

Yep, repro for sure. The pricks even went as far as to get the Atari Logo and "'82" put on the new board. Thats pathetic.

So you think even the circuit board is a reproduction.

The boards are authentic, they probably still have thousands of those. In regards to EPROM's, no you couldn't tell and there really isn't anyone who makes the kind of EPROM's that were used on that board. I think people stopped manufacturing those around 1990.

BTW, the label is also a repro.

The boards are authentic, they probably still have thousands of those. In regards to EPROM's, no you couldn't tell and there really isn't anyone who makes the kind of EPROM's that were used on that board. I think people stopped manufacturing those around 1990.

Well I must retort my comments on the PCB as at least the board is real. :roll:

Those short pins on the edge connector aren't the kind of things that people usually do when they make knock-off boards. And it's got plated pins and a beveled edge. So it's probably a real Atari board.

But why does the board say "CAD18280"? I know there was apparently some confusion at Atari as to CA0 vs CAO (zero vs oh) on their part numbers, but CAD?

And what would be under that brown blob?

Another question is what is the date code on the EPROM chips under the stickers?

Those short pins on the edge connector aren't the kind of things that people usually do when they make knock-off boards. And it's got plated pins and a beveled edge. So it's probably a real Atari board.

But why does the board say "CAD18280"? I know there was apparently some confusion at Atari as to CA0 vs CAO (zero vs oh) on their part numbers, but CAD?

And what would be under that brown blob?

Another question is what is the date code on the EPROM chips under the stickers?

I already put it back together and I had to remove a sticker covering the screw. I don't want to destroy the sticker.

y-bot

Why do you have to besmirch the character of Best Electronics? Why are there so many cynical people on this site lately?

Why do you have to besmirch the character of Best Electronics? Why are there so many cynical people on this site lately?

Heh? What are you talking about? :?

This is somewhat of a bone of contention with the prototype community, and it goes way far back even before AA existed. In the 90's Best electronics sold many "prototypes" that were without cases and had no covers on the EPROMs. Our best guess (no pun intended) is that Best found a stash of EPROM boards (very likely considering they bought up most of Atari's inventory), found a few prototype games (also likely considering), and decided to burn new copies of these games onto eproms, slap them onto the boards, and call them prototypes.

Now here's where the real issue comes in. Are they really prototypes? Physically they're identical to real prototypes (although most real prototypes have eprom labels, but not all). However since they didn't come out of Atari's labs and were never burned for the purpose of testing, I say they're not. Now some people say it's all just semantics, but to hard core proto collectors, there is a difference.

There's also the rumor that Best was behind all those Quadrun lab loaners with the fake labels that are floating around out there. I've never been able to prove that, but if they were that would be a major issue to me.

Best does great things for the Atari community, and their service is top notch. I have nothing against them in any way shape or form (I buy from them regularly), but the prototype issue is somewhat of a sore subject with me.

Tempest

This is somewhat of a bone of contention with the prototype community, and it goes way far back even before AA existed. In the 90's Best electronics sold many "prototypes" that were without cases and had no covers on the EPROMs. Our best guess (no pun intended) is that Best found a stash of EPROM boards (very likely considering they bought up most of Atari's inventory), found a few prototype games (also likely considering), and decided to burn new copies of these games onto eproms, slap them onto the boards, and call them prototypes.

Now here's where the real issue comes in. Are they really prototypes? Physically they're identical to real prototypes (although most real prototypes have eprom labels, but not all). However since they didn't come out of Atari's labs and were never burned for the purpose of testing, I say they're not. Now some people say it's all just semantics, but to hard core proto collectors, there is a difference.

There's also the rumor that Best was behind all those Quadrun lab loaners with the fake labels that are floating around out there. I've never been able to prove that, but if they were that would be a major issue to me.

Best does great things for the Atari community, and their service is top notch. I have nothing against them in any way shape or form (I buy from them regularly), but the prototype issue is somewhat of a sore subject with me.

Tempest

Where does Dukes Of Hazzard fit in to this? I have one that I bought from them a World of Atari '98. This has nothing to do with Best but has to do with my general question before about EPROMs. So maybe this doesn't exist but what if there was a cart that was common PAL but rare NTSC, had identical labels and was made with an EPROM. What's stopping someone with the knowledge and equipment from burning an NTSC file onto the original PAL EPROM?

y-bot

Where does Dukes Of Hazzard fit in to this? I have one that I bought from them a World of Atari '98. This has nothing to do with Best but has to do with my general question before about EPROMs. So maybe this doesn't exist but what if there was a cart that was common PAL but rare NTSC, had identical labels and was made with an EPROM. What's stopping someone with the knowledge and equipment from burning an NTSC file onto the original PAL EPROM?

y-bot

Dukes is on a ROM.

y-bot

Dukes of Hazzard is a special case. Apperently Atari made a whole bunch of ROMs for the game (not EPROMs) in order to release it, but decided against it at the last minute. So in this case DoH is basically an unreleased production game. Unless it has a lab loaner label on it, you should never see a DoH with EPROMs.

Tempest