IGNORED

Cuttle Cart 3 an Intellivision Must Have

GrizzLee

I downloaded it just to see if it would run (as I'm running OS 10.3.9 and it says it requires 10.4) and surprisingly, it did. I got the same error (couldn't load gamelist.txt). Also, the window defaults to larger than my monitor! So I can't resize it unless I up my resolution. I have it set to 1024x768.

EDIT: Disregard the window size thing. Didn't try the window zoom button in the menu bar. That fixed it. Yeah, I'm still running on only one cup of coffee this morning :)

Hey Emehr,

So it does work with 3.9? Great! Is this a command line program for the Mac? It's not an icon that you can click on so I wasn't sure how to run it.

Allan

If you change the extension from .ppc to .app you can then double-click it to launch. I tried that for grins and it worked. Otherwise, you can launch Terminal, drag the program to the Terminal window (as opposed to typing the file path), and hit return to launch. The missing gamelist.txt error is still a head-scratcher though...

Ok,

To get it to run and find the gamelist.txt file you need to run it from the shell with the current directory set as the directory containing gamelist.txt.

So open a shell, navigate to the directory contain cc3editor and gamelist.txt and then run the command "./cc3editor.ppc" (Or whatever the intel extension is if you're running that.) The ./ tells it the current directory is the one you're in, so it will look for the gamelist.txt file there. Apparently Macs don't make the current directory the one containing the program by default.

Chad

Sweet! That worked.

To wit...

In Terminal, type "cd " (to change directory, don't forget the space), then what I did was drag the CC3Editor folder into the Terminal window (or type out the path) and hit return to set the directory. Then, as Chad wrote, type "./cc3editor.ppc" (or drag the program file to the Terminal window). Voila.

Thanks Chad! Now I just need to save my pennies to order a CC3.

Ok,

My friend with the Mac did some retooling and I've posted new Mac packages that should work when clicked rather than having to be run from the command line. The gamelist.txt and cfg files are now stored in the .app folder along with the binary in what is hopefully a more traditional Mac OS-X bundle.

If someone could give it a try and let me know how it goes I would appreciate it.

http://www.schells.com/cc3.shtml

Thanks,

Chad

Thanks Chad for the update OS X app.

Only issue I have now - and hopefully someone here can help me - is that I cannot get the MircoSD card to be recognized by my card reader (on a Mac or PC)!?

It is a Kingston 512MB MicroSD. Package mentioned for use with cell phones. I'm guessing it may need reformatting (but I doubt it). Any ideas would be appreciated.

I wonder if I need another special card reader! :( I had this same darn problem with the Cuttle Cart 2 and the MMC card for that. Had to buy a Sandisk 12-1 card reader to get the card to be seem by my computer - even though my old card reader worked with other memory cards. It is as if some card are not compatible with some card readers.

So: Kingston MicroSD currently not working with my Sandisk© card reader.

This is getting annoying.... (nothing against the CC2 or CC3 - I'm just sick of card and readers that won't work with each other).

One frustrated CC3 owner (for the moment)... :sad:

Edited by ozyr

Only issue I have now - and hopefully someone here can help me - is that I cannot get the MircoSD card to be recognized by my card reader (on a Mac or PC)!?

I'm assuming you're using the SD Card adapter that came with the MicroSD card. I have an older SanDisk MicroSD card that came with a really cheap adapter. The only way I can get it to work is to hold the MicroSD card hard into the adapter with my thumb the entire time it's inserted. If the MicroSD card is loose in the adapter that may be your problem. Having to hold it for any lengthy transfer is of course a pain.

The newer SanDisk one I purchased has a much better adapter with a really snug fit between adapter and MicroSD card.

If you do want to format it, either Fat16 or Fat32 should work fine. But if you bought the MicroSD card new is it very likely formatted to one of those already.

Good luck,

Chad

Thanks for the advise Chad, but it was a no go (at first). :(

However, just for the heck of - as you mentioned, the Micro Card uses an adaptor to fit the card reader (which is a 2 week old SanDisk) - I pulled out my old MMC card reader that didn't like MMC cards (back when I had problem loading it for the older CC2).

Well, I put the MicroSD w/adaptor into the MMC card reader, and the darn thing brought up the card! :!: I ran the updated Mac CC3 app, and I now have a 100% functional Cuttle Cart III! :D

Couldn't be happier now - thanks for advice, updating the program (w/help from your Mac buddy), and even just making these carts Chad!

It is odd though:

MMC card reader that will read MicroSD, not MMC.

MicroSD card reader that will read MMC, not MicroSD.

Now that is just plain weird!!??

But, I'm just glad I got it going. Thanks again for your help (and the Mac .app)!

Edited by ozyr

Here's an ebay link to a guy selling the 16mb microSD card that the Intellicart 3 uses. I just ordered 4 cards from him for a total with shipping of under $7.00. He has about 30 left. I'm not affiliated with him in any way but I thought the price was right and worth telling everyone about.

16mb MicroSD on Ebay

When they arrive I'll confirm on this message thread that I got them.

Hopefully my CC3 will arrive soon. I can't wait to play with it.

Bill

$2.59 shipped for 16MB is steep on a per MB level, but its the cheapest price I have seen for a microSD card. I picked up the $9.99 for 1GB unit from Frys. It came with free shipping, but I had to pay taxes.

I paid $6.50 for four 16MB microSDs which comes to $1.62 each. Granted, that's not a great price per MB, but all the ROMs and menus and everything for the CC3 don't even come close to filling up 4MB (let alone 16MB) so I figured everything above that would just be wasted, anyway. So the comparison is really $1.62 vs $9.99 to serve the exact same function.

Bill

Edited by Merrick Bill

I paid $6.50 for four 16MB microSDs which comes to $1.62 each. Granted, that's not a great price per MB, but all the ROMs and menus and everything for the CC3 don't even come close to filling up 4MB (let alone 16MB) so I figured everything above that would just be wasted, anyway. So the comparison is really $1.62 vs $9.99 to serve the exact same function.

Just a heads up to anybody who decided/is considering to go this route. These cards come formatted FAT12, which the CC3 does not support. And, annoyingly enough Windows seems content to format them to FAT12 by default as well (despite the MS white paper that says they never use FAT12 for anything except ancient tiny floppies.)

Anyway, if you pick one up, here's the windows command to force them format to FAT16.

format [drive letter]: /fs:fat /a:512

Replace [drive letter] with the drive letter for your SD card. (Be careful, formatting the wrong drive will destroy all data on that drive.)

Yes, it has to be done from the command prompt. The GUI will format it to FAT12.

This is only for the 16MB cards.

Chad

That is insanely cool; I am going to paint mine white as well.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know how to reformat MMC/flash cards on the Mac? I used my PC for the CC2 and will do the same for CC3, but was just wondering if there was an easy way to do it on a Mac. Nothing from Google helped.

What carts were white?

The ones you paint. The white goes great with the blue label.

Allan

Welp, I tried this and I goofed up and I think I reformatted my PCMCIA 5in1 card adapter instead of the actual SD card. Now my machine won't even recognize the adapter. Agh. It's a totally generic one and I think I paid like 5 bucks for it, but I can't find any info on how to reformat the actual adapter back so that I can use it. Any suggestions?

I should have just used the PC.

Open Disk Utility and try formatting it as an MS-DOS volume. Hopefully it will format the card as FAT16.

Welp, I tried this and I goofed up and I think I reformatted my PCMCIA 5in1 card adapter instead of the actual SD card.

You can't 'format' the adapter, its a piece of reader hardware not a storage device in itself. Your SD card's format may not be recognized anymore, and therefore MacOS probably isn't mounting the device to show you.

Hmmmm...I have tried to read 3 cards in it (the MMC from my phone, the MMC from my CC2, and the new SD card). It won't recognize any of them. So I do think i borked the adapter somehow. I wish I had drivers or something--or even a manufacturer name on the card.

Welp, I tried this and I goofed up and I think I reformatted my PCMCIA 5in1 card adapter instead of the actual SD card.

You can't 'format' the adapter, its a piece of reader hardware not a storage device in itself. Your SD card's format may not be recognized anymore, and therefore MacOS probably isn't mounting the device to show you.

(sigh) /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app

Man, I am an idiot. Thanks so much, Bruce.

For the record my CC3 is up and working well now. It's awesome to have a favorites menu with Bump 'n' Jump right at the top! That's the last time I will bump this thread with only tangentially related troubles--I swear, it wasn't a ploy to to get people interested in the CC3, even though I do highly recommend one. Thanks, Chad!

(sigh) /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app

Edited by phaxda

• 1 month later...

If you have a CC3, you know the time it takes to load the ROMs and set it up. To make your life easier, I have prepared a package so all you need to do is insert a microSD card. It gets NO easier than this!!

Please visit:

http://www.beeslife.com/intvgames/cc3/cc3.php

for more information.

P.S. If you do NOT have a CC3, this is the reason to buy one!