I'm not very familiar with Bosconian, so I've decided I best put in some time to get a better understanding of how it plays. I cut the cord a few years back and use a Mac mini to drive my TV. Besides DVR software for broadcast TV, I've installed MAME, Stella, and OpenEMU on it. I also have a couple PS3 controllers that are paired via bluetooth. Works quite well.
The current game logic for Draconian was mostly written back in 2014 and, for the most part, I was able to drop it into the new CDF sprite/missile routines with minor revisions. While doing so I noticed some things I didn't do very efficiently, as well as some early assumptions that have proven incorrect with my initial playtesting.
As such, besides play testing Bosconian, I'm doing some behind-the-scenes reworking of Draconian to reduce the program size as well as fix the incorrect assumptions.
In this build I've moved the 6507 menu routines from bank 5 into bank 6, which allowed me to shift 1K of ROM space into the ARM/Graphics/Digital Sample pool. Additionally, Nathan had me revise how the stations open & close - they're rather slick.
- Nathan Strum likes this