All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Final standings: UnRedeemed - 1,673 +11 RB5200 - 799 +10 mikey50 - 406 +9 Congratulations to UnRedeemed on the win. Wow, not much love for Super Breakout this time around. Hope y’all like Donkey Kong better… it’s coming up next.
  3. This has been nagging at the back of my mind since I made the original post ... I casually delved into the code for both Atari800MacX and Altirra, with a view to porting one of them to iOS/iPad OS before getting distracted. From that, it is superficially apparent to me that a) it would take me MUCH less time to port Atari800MacX to iOS/iPad OS than it would Altirra (makes sense, as Altirra is a Windows application), and b) it'd be an easier (or more reliable) job with a bit more 8-bit hardware currency under my belt (it's been 40+ years since I wrote real, significant, code on/for Atari 8-bit machines). Then I stopped to think about what I would want from an Atari 8-bit emulator on either my phone or tablet ... Without a proper controller, I'm not going to play Atari 8-bit joystick or paddle games on them. I've never gotten on with on-screen/tilt controls for classic games. And that means a less-than-ideal mobile experience (I have a small Bluetooth game controller, but I'd probably just take my Switch, or one of my various open retro-platform/Analog Pocket units along before I carried that). But what I would love to be able to do is be able to use my iPad to CODE for the Atari 8-bit platforms while I am traveling (I do a LOT of that). This ideally really crystallized with the announcement of the new M4-based iPad Pros (my M2 Pro version is ridiculously powerful as it is ... and I code on it a lot when I am traveling light though doing so in a meaningful way mostly requires things like GitHub CodeSpaces and repl.it) - my plan is as follows: First, I'm going to do an 8-bit Atari "port" or, more properly, a "reinterpretation" of "The Oregon Trail". That'll get me back up to speed with the nuances of Atari programming and hardware behavior (see my DevLog, on my Atari Age blog if you're interested). THEN, if no one else has done a solid port of Atari800MacX (or Altirra, but that seems less likely - even if it might be better from a development perspective), I'll start work on a combined "emulator port" and a development environment for the iPad.
  4. I missed it again, but I will continue to join the wait list. One day I will hopefully get one.
  5. What he said, but you know, you could supply a picture of what you have (preferably inside and out) and maybe it would give some idea.
  6. Yes, that is correct, but as a whole, most software will run on the 800.
  7. The clone is 99% likely the problem, not you and not your board. Those special new boards if I remember have their own mapper scheme and setup, so perhaps, the crap clone is just too dense to read it right. Wait on the real hardware, then test.
  8. Edit: My computer said 10:59 when I hit submit! Hahaha. Anyway, I remember not knowing what the heck was going on when we last played this, but I seemed to be doing just fine this time. I was really digging it too, punching apes and poachers in the face. I'm sure a manual read would do me some good tho. Tarzan skill 2 - 44,750
  9. Took too long to play this week and am down to the wire! Here's my game in progress before the deadline... Tarzan - 30,000
  10. TrekMD

Movie Cart

Well, for $5, I can't say it is a bad deal. Thank you for the offer, though.
  11. @199211 Well...how complete is this copy? You're already good at $50, I said what I did about the price, the $150 point would be if the CIB is also complete + Captain Commando ad poster and in stunningly like new style shape, nitpick for the flaw level of nice. Game is worth like $10-15 Manual is another $10 Box add another $50 It's weird, but parted out it's worth less, so there's the convenience factor, but it's not largely so with patience $75+ for a complete copy is right, so you still beat the low average by 1/3. It's super hard, fair, but super hard, and aside from it visually lacking due to Micronics sucking wang who Capcom shopped it out to, it plays solidly and is true to the arcade. I speak this from memory of another era like circa 1990 when I could manhandle the arcade game and NES cart all the same.
  12. Hi guys does anyone know where the code of Pitfall 2 is, I have been looking for it but I have not found it
  13. How do you figure? An 800 without Incognito is limited to 48KB of standard RAM. That's going to leave a lot of 64KB software out -- not to mention 64KB+ software.
  14. A 3D printed case is nice, but don't you think and old Pac-Man, Combat, or E.T. cart would be a good donor instead of spending extra money? If you need a donor I would be happy to supply you with one as I have many.
  15. You can go incognito, but honestly, a fujinet and a multicart covers everything without modding at all. Also, almost all the carts have been dumped, so unless you are doing something heavy duty, may only need the fujinet and play the carts via binaries
  16. Outrun, Space Harrier and Quartet on the Sega Master System. Mappy and Super Rally X at the Arcade.
  17. If you are doing this just for yourself, it should not be a big deal to attach 5V to pin 8, provided it is N/C in your system. If you are doing it for a wider range of users, then a lot of us would have no problems with doing the same. Not as convenient as a single, all-in-one module, for sure, but still worth the effort for some.
  18. Now that my ColecoVision game is almost complete (like, it's really, really close to that point), I thought I'd share it on the homebrew section of this forum. It's free (digitally), so feel free to download it from this Itch.IO page below: https://arugulaz.itch.io/whack-em-smack-em-byrons By all means, give it a spin, kick the tires, smack some Byrons. The game's really easy to play... just point your direction where you see a naughty bear, and give him a smack with the fire button. If you have any thoughts about the gameplay, please share them so I can polish this game to a shine. I'm also working on an SG-1000 version, which is easy since CV Basic supports both systems. Who owns an SG-1000, anyway? Old Japanese gamers, mostly, but also anyone who owns a Dina 2-in-1. Who owns a Dina 2-in-1? Some lucky SOBs with the foresight to buy it before they started selling them for four figures. Geez, it's just a rebranded ColecoVision sold by Telegames! You'd think it was the Klotman diamond or something.
  19. TrekMD

Movie Cart

Mine arrived while I was in New Orleans. I'm going to get a 3D printed cart case for it but I'm going to have to make a hole on the one side for the micro SD card so I can change the movie files. I would otherwise have to damage the label to open and close it.
  20. Thanks for sharing that. I am trying to replicate the work of @puppetmark and create a simple s-video/luma to RGB adapter, using an LM1881, so I get some more use out of my Atari SC1224 monitor. I got a first version done, but I wanted to improve it by using an 8-pin din connector that works for both Atari 8-bits and Commodore 64/Plus4 machines. If the Commodore has +5V on pin 8 then it wont need an external +5V which would be convenient. I checked one of my C64s though and no +5V on pin 8
  21. Today
  22. Picked this one up at local retro game store the other day.
  23. I recently went through a bit of a VR phase. I mentioned Alyx earlier in the thread, and I tried out 6-8 other VR games that I already had in my Steam library from various bundles acquired in the past. I played two of those games enough to say I "beat" them or at least finished a common scenario to get to the credits. Slinger VR - I think this game is well known among VR gamers, but it is still a bit obscure. It has been sitting in my Steam library for years. It has no achievements or trading cards to be earned, and I don't think it has ever received any updates. Well, none of that matters because the gameplay is unique, challenging to master, and takes excellent advantage of VR. There is no story. You are simply thrust into an outer space playground of floating platforms that you must navigate by "slinging" out wires? beams? webs? from two devices that vaguely resemble VR hand controllers. The challenges ramp up fairly slowly as the game introduces new enemies that you must swing around and defeat using various weapons scattered around the disconnected islands floating in the void. You CAN die by falling or swinging away from the platforms and islands, but it is pretty rare that you can't save yourself from a fall. When you do die, it is usually because of a faraway laser or a type of floating enemy who can vacuum you up if you aren't secured directly to a surface. The game gives you a very real sense of 3d space in VR. You're standing on platforms suspended on nothing, so the sense of height is very real, and I felt a feeling of actual danger many times while playing. If you have any phobia of heights, I would absolutely avoid this game, but I found it very fun to sort of play around and safely experiment with the feeling of getting in and out of danger while swinging and falling. This feeling alone was good enough to keep me playing Slinger through all of its 20 stages, but the gentle ramp up in difficulty also helped keep me interested. The second to last level was a bit clumsy in that they went with the "Let's throw a ton of enemies at the player" strategy, but it (along with the final boss) proved to be a fun challenge to overcome on medium difficulty. Slinger VR wouldn't even be a game without VR. There's no point really comparing it to Spiderman or some other game where you swing on 3d platforms. It is a VR darling and deserves to be, but it doesn't quite bump up to something that I would recommend to just anyone. I give Slinger VR a 4 out of 5. Battlezone Gold Edition (aka Battlezone VR) - A 2017 entry into the list of games now part of the Battlezone franchise. I first played this game on PlayStation VR, and it gave me some slight VR sickness. I finally came back to it because I knew it had promise, and I ended up really enjoying it. You pilot a futuristic tank from inside a VR cockpit. The immersive setting is very cool and gives you a great feeling of rockin a bad ass space tank. The graphics are very stylized and serve the game well. What's it styled like? I'm glad you asked. The game includes a version of the coin op Battlezone from 1980, and while the main game doesn't use exactly the same style, it adds color and builds on it quite well. Unfortunately, the classic version in this release seemed a bit different than the original arcade game, so I quickly left it behind and returned to the modern adaptation. VR is not required for this game or the extra game that mimics the original. However, everything was designed for VR, so that will be your best experience. I probably wouldn't bother without it. The game has almost no story. Mission setup is done on a gameboard where you move one hexagon at a time. Each space gives you something to do. Most of the time that something is go shoot a bunch of enemy tanks, but sometimes there are narrative style choices about whatever planet you are on and whatever conflict you are fighting in. It doesn't matter because the main attraction here is piloting the tank, defeating enemies, upgrading the tank, and finally defeating the enemy AI core. You can set up the board to be S,M,L and set the difficulty as you choose. I managed to defeat the AI core on a medium sized board while playing on medium difficulty, and it was the right level of challenge. The combat wasn't anything particularly special, but I found it to be quite fun. The negatives are things like the fact that the missions end up being quite repetitive and the total length of a run against the AI core tends to be pretty long. That means you see a lot of repeat maps and missions even within a single medium playthrough. Thankfully those things aren't enough to keep you from coming back for another run. The game does feature coop play, but I didn't get to experience that part. Overall, I was very pleased with this version of Battlezone. I give it a 4 out of 5.
  1. Load more activity