All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. That's right - and appears to use PM objects for the vertical supports either side of the gongs. It's using Antic 6 (aka Gr. 1 ) which is only 1 colour per character cell vs 4 of 5 in Antic 4. But has the advantage of less DMA which allows the kernal to do that much, also badlines don't totally halt the CPU so there's also sufficient time to do the colour changes there as well.
  3. Hi guys, Great article regarding Gladmort for the Neo-Geo from Time Extension. Chipsonsteroids gave us the heads up yesterday. Time Extension @timeextension64 PixelHeart Teases News On Its Ghosts n' Goblins-Esque Neo Geo Game 'Gladmort' https://timeextension.com/news/2024/04/pixelheart-teases-news-on-its-ghosts-n-goblins-esque-neo-geo-game-gladmort… #Repost #News #NeoGeo #Homebrews From timeextension.com 7:20 PM · Apr 25, 2024 PixelHeart Teases News On Its Ghosts n' Goblins-Esque Neo Geo Game 'Gladmort' More information to come in the next few days by Jack Yarwood Yesterday, 11:30am https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024/04/pixelheart-teases-news-on-its-ghosts-n-goblins-esque-neo-geo-game-gladmort The publisher PixelHeart seems to be gearing up to make an announcement about its upcoming Ghost 'n Goblins-esque title Gladmort, putting out a video today asking for the community's help to take the Neo Geo game even further and promising more news shortly. Gladmort, in case you've never heard of it, is a promising run 'n gunner that is scheduled to come to the Neo Geo MVS, Neo Geo AES, and Neo Geo-CD in 2024, and is being developed by Chips on Steroids — who previously made Neotris. It was originally announced back in May 2023 on Twitter and was later shown off at a couple of French gaming conventions, including Stunfest 2023 and Retro Gaming Play 2024, with some videos and images from the game surfacing at these events. PixelHeart itself hasn't shared much about the title on social media in terms of official screenshots or trailers, but that all seems to be about to change, with the company posting a video that seems to indicate some official news is finally on the way. The short message featured in the video reads: "Our bad guy needs your support in 2024. Help us take the game further. May 2024. Neo Geo." As you'll no doubt notice, Gladmort isn't explicitly named in the video — likely in an attempt to add a further bit of mystery to the announcement — but one of the characters that is displayed in the background seems to be a 1:1 match the protagonist as shown in some of the public demos. We're not entirely sure what this announcement will be, but judging from the reference to "support" and "help", we suspect it may have something to do with crowdfunding. Anthony...
  4. For a joystick, yes, but if we're talking about reading a mouse, a VBI is totally insufficient. The mouse is sampled at 1KHz (twenty times per frame using evenly spaced interrupts down the height of the screen) in order to ensure smooth motion.
  5. Getting off topic... Back on topic. Wonder if an aftermarket modern screen will come out for the Supervision like nearly every other old handheld. Probably not as so few sold
  6. I have added V0.95 to the first post, which shows the revised title screen. No other changes.
  7. One way to present a separate game system menu without replacing the existing GSP app, could write a secondary app you would launch like a game in the GSP menu that would have it's own separate menu system for other platforms (for someone like myself without the know-how to replace the GSP app or modify the firmware). Not something I would have the means or experience to attempt though currently. If I did have the proper linux dev experience, I could attempt to contribute more there.
  8. Ahh ok, that makes total sense, thanks. Figures D/R -- T+B would set that off all things considered even as a quote I guess. I didn't think I had a restriction since I keep away from that bs here, it's a huge reason I like this place as it is because you can't get into the weeds without chugging weed killer as a punishment which is deserved. Games and that don't belong on the same forum, it's an escape, not a horrific reminder.
  9. Yup. Correct. You have 16 dark and 16 bright colors you can combine. The contrast should be fine for all combinations. I like them all. I chose the blue one, because it is a bit less busy than the red one. And it some good vibes and rhythm. Yes, I noticed that too. Thought you might have a reason for it. I think they form some kind of anchor. Yes, the red one is also nice, but I am not sure if it work well as a title. Too many PADDLEFIELDs! Don't worry too much, I never saw an 'i' there. This would require way too much storage space. This would be a bit better, but still need much more resources than the static version. And I think it is best to present the player the current game selection (incl. its board design). So prefer to limit this to the title screen. This is IMO too busy. The other version has some rhythm, these just follow a strict pattern.
  10. You quoted a post that had the word "Trump" in it. There are a small number of words that, when used, sill automatically put a post into the moderation queue. Really just to alert mods that a discussion may have veered into politics. This post of mine will also be flagged because is that. ..Al
  11. When I get to around 30,000 points I can't figure out how to get past the "hot dogs". I will try again and try some new stuff.
  12. I think he said Coleco wanted it out by September for the Christmas holiday. I do not necessarily understand why it has to be that early for Christmas, but I guess 3 months prior was considered the standard. So an August release date may have meant that they were able to get some production elements done quicker than expected.
  13. My post is approved?? Since when do I need permission to post? What happened?
  14. This one (Master of Lamps) had always fascinated me because it shows 9 different colors on the lines where the gongs are + the Sprite for the player on top of them, and this is at a 160-width res. I always wondered how this trick was done since it's obviously not DLI'ss, and can't be using PM graphics to add colors (not enough). I think the CPU is counting cycles and swapping out the palette mid-scanline.
  15. I am working on a program - Tape Self-Extractor. This self-extractor is a binary load file that holds a collection of data blocks. After pressing START, all blocks will be written to tape. There is also a block table, for each block, it holds the following information: 1. Block buffer range (2 16-bit addresses) 2. Block flags byte - the bits indicate how long the IRG before the block is to be - 20s, 3s, or 250ms. To write a block, I would like to use the following code (SIOV) ;Now prepare the SIO call lda #$60 ;Cassette sta DDEVIC lda #0 sta DUNIT ;Zero unit sta DCOMND ;No command sta DUNUSE ;Zero unused byte sta DAUX1 ;Zero AUX1 byte lda #$80 ;Indicate Write sta DSTATS lda ZP_SIO_BUFRLO ;Set buffer address sta DBUFLO lda ZP_SIO_BUFRHI sta DBUFHI lda ZP_SIO_LENLO ;Set buffer length sta DBYTLO lda ZP_SIO_LENHI sta DBYTHI lda #$00 ;Short gaps between records sta DAUX2 jsr SIOV ;Call SIO I observed that: For DAUX2==$00, I will get 3 seconds IRG For DAUX2==$80, I will get 250 ms IRG Unfortunately, I have no idea, how to tell SIOV to generate 20 s IRG for a block. Is that even possible? Or will I have to copy/paste more OS ROM code to get 20s IRG? P.S, I cannot use CIO, it is inflexible for my needs.
  16. Does anyone have a working version of "Spare Change"?
  17. As I replied to the other comment, I did not know you could mix graphics modes on the fly. I thought you could only do this with colors within a chosen graphics mode. Interesting.
  18. I admit I had no idea the graphics modes were also changeable. I thought you could only change the palette during drawing .. not that you could change the resolution/ graphics mode!!
  19. Are you guys actually reading old VAXVMS tapes with your own equipment somehow? If so, How does that work?
  20. Above games and most Atari games run at 160x200 resolution like on C64. Not many games use 320x200 resolution because it is very limited on Atari (2.5 years older machines). There are other graphics modes and sometimes graphic modes are mixed (for example Bruce Lee, top line has a 320x200 resolution, remaining screen is 160x100, sprites have 160x200 resolution). Mixing graphics modes is not a trick, it's a feature, you only have to change the display list. Modifying display list you can easily extend default 192 pixels height to 240 pixels (full vertical PAL overscan). With Display list interrupts you can have many colors. It is not a trick too, it's mentioned in The Re Atari official manual, but it costs cycles. I don't know if Altirra shows graphics mode. But on Altirra you can save a screenshot. It is saved in 320x200 resolution. If you open it with a viewer (for example FastStone) you can check pixels size and ratio. You can count colors too.
  21. The A8's display list is a unique concept. Each scan line can be a different graphic or character mode. C64 doesn't have that. The A8's indirect color registers allow dynamic color changes from a wide palette without rewriting bitmaps. C64 doesn't have that.
  22. I was going through my mess of consoles and realized that I have a bunch of 2600s. I've got a heavy sixer, light sixer, 4-switch Woody, Vader, and Junior. Is there anyone who has all these plus the Sears consoles? Do you have one you use more than the others? I'm using the heavy sixer the most right now.
  23. Haven't you been around here long enough to realize that patience is required for all of these kinds of projects? Subscribe to the topic by clicking the box at the top and you'll be notified of any updates.
  24. Today
  25. While I don't know of any ready made converters, there are a few GG games that have been converted to the SMS. I've got a folder for my flash cart with quite a few of those conversions. So there are folks that have done it at least.
  26. Can I just say that this is a really out there choice for a homebrew? It's like you were making... game dot com games or something.
  1. Load more activity