All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Captain Barrel. The latest Neo-Geo title from Neo Byte Force has been announced. Feel free to have a look on the Neo-Geo thread to view more regarding  it. :)

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/223548-the-official-neo-geo-thread/?do=findComment&comment=5463976

3. I've got Stock 64k PAL Xegs with 512k Rambo added (576k total) (Jurgens mod which is a delightful addition) No other memory add ons, just s-video out from Gtia through passive resistors Using SDdrive or A8Pico or SIo2Pc to launch games (xex or Atr files are easiest to trial) Let me know if you need any other info, Thanks Richard
  4. Man. I'm excited about this. I'm having a bit of trouble following the thread through. Are the gerbers in Speech_gerberv2 the latest ones for this board?
  5. Dragon Quest IV As a huge fan of DQII and DQIII, I had high hopes for this one. First impressions were good; it looks and plays like those classics, and the way that the story is split into chapters with different characters is fun. However, midway into the second chapter, I'm not 100% pleased with this one. The chapter system is good in theory. Each chapter is like a mini RPG, and while they all use the standard DQ engine, they vary quite a bit. However, think back on playing DQII or DQIII for the first time, and how frustrating the first couple of hours can be with your weak level 1 characters. DQIV is that, over and over. What makes it even worse is that the worlds in each chapter are absolutely tiny and completely linear, with boss battles gating your progress. The greatest thing about DQII and DQIII was how the game started you out in a small, linear area but after only a few hours the world was yours to explore, and there were very few bosses at all serving as level checks. In DQIV, because the chapters are so small and linear, you are just following the story from place to place... and soon after you start feeling comfortable with your party, the chapter is over and you're back to level 1 with some other character. Brief thoughts on each chapter so far: Chapter 1 You play this tiny chapter as Ryan, a kind of medieval cop sent out to find some missing children. This took me maybe two hours to complete, and it was fine. It sets up the story, and it's balanced fine with no need to grind at all. Chapter 2 You play as Alina, a badass princess, accompanied by a couple of retainers. I'm only a few hours in, but it's extremely linear; what's worse is that that second step of the quest is just a few minutes away from the starting castle, and yet you are forced to fight a pretty difficult boss battle to continue. You are lucky to get to level 2 naturally just walking to the fight, and level 2 is far, far too low to stand a chance. Even the standard enemies outside of the starting castle are quite difficult for your level 1 weaklings, so there's no choice but to grind some levels. This is quite disappointing, since DQIII requires no grinding at all (and DQII requires only a tiny bit at the very end of the game). Anyway, it didn't take too long to get to level 4 for my party, and at that point the boss battle was a bit frustrating but beatable. There was another massive difficulty spike right after that, but no bosses so it wasn't too bad. It's not a bad game, but it just doesn't feel like Dragon Quest so far due to the tiny linear worlds and focus on story over exploration. Hopefully future chapters will be a bit better.
  6. That should have been the initial approach along with a user-accessible menu via some kind of special switch+button combo. The amount of time being spent on an update which fixes a lot of issues suggests to me that the release was a bit rushed and probably should have come out this year. Certainly the testing wasn’t as extensive as it could have been. Obviously I don’t have details to indicate why this is, but lessons learned and all that I’m sure.
  7. That would be great if Atari started producing CX-80 Trakball controllers!
  8. Alright, but if you put a routine in the bankswitchable area of the cartridge, that routine has to appear in all banks (or at least the banks that can be active when the routine is called) otherwise you'll call garbage data if you call the routine in a bank where the routine is not present. How does your compiler deal with this?
  9. There was at least one poll here quite a few years ago that showed how many respondents used each dos. IIRC, at that time Dos 2.5 was still the most widely used, with versions of Sparta second (and it was a close second) and MyDos third. All the rest followed. BTW, I couldn't locate the poll, but it did exist.
  10. Ah, I stand corrected. I was sure it was 207.
  11. I'm trying to add support for these 3 special modes and I understand that they work slightly differently from the others in that they need 4-bits of data from ANTIC in order to determine the luminance or color. What's puzzling me is precisely that. As GTIA scans across generating color clocks, it has to "backfill" (for lack of a better word) the previous color clock when it has the second set of data from ANTIC. Meanwhile the PM graphics are placed as usual with the individual color clocks. Or do I have it wrong and in this special mode GTIA polls ANTIC twice within a single color clock to get the 2 packets of data to determine the color/luminance and then proceeds to fill in the second color clock? The timing is not clear to me and I've checked the Altirra reference docs. So what is actually happening under the hood? Thanks!
  12. This is not possible for SNES homebrew, 32 KHz for 1 minute would be almost 4 MiB of ROM... If you keep a CD, this solution would ultimately be possible. And even if you reduce the sample quality, CPU -> SPC700 transfers take too long. You lose many instruction cycles, which is problematic because the SNES CPU is not very fast. Currently I have developed my own sound driver which, on the contrary, allows music to be compressed. For my shmup I must have 10 songs for the game, they make a total of 29 KiB + 20 KiB of Sample. And it uses the SNES quite well. In addition, I did quite a lot of work on the SFX which are played at 8KHz.
  13. @Atari2600PAL Great game! And CIB I have a loose copy. I hope your other game shows up soon!
  14. Hi guys, Neo Byte Force shared their latest game to be available soon. Captain Barrel. Enjoy. Anthony..
  15. Let me tell you that joystick controller is very responsive! I remember playing Keystone Kapers on this console with really good gameplay!
  16. You can put both code and data inside a BANK. The only constraint is that BANK SELECT can only appear in the global bank 0 (the default after you set BANK ROM) There is an example included with CVBasic called bank.bas
  17. It is better to put your image as a 24-bit BMP file, and process it with TMSColor. It will generate the minimum number of tiles, using for example: tmscolor -t128 -b your_image.bmp your_image.bas your_image
  18. The correct value to end sprite processing is 208. However, CVBasic currently does sprite flicker by default (rearranging sprites on the screen), so you need to invoke SPRITE FLICKER OFF to use the 208 value.
  19. Yes of course! I'd be happy to.
  20. We just had like 6 coronal mass ejections from that sunspot AR3664. We're getting auroras for the important parts of America (and probably most of Europe). So, go outside tonight for a once in 170 year treat!
  21. I've never seen one of these before, very cool.
  22. Thank you very much! I've added you at the first post. I'll be sure to tell you where to send funds.
  23. Lucky You! Spy Hunter looks like a good one! Looking forward to seeing the pics!
  24. Probably Zero, the game does not push the NeoGeo or even the SNES. Its very good though.
  1. Load more activity