All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I'm waiting for my boards to come in, they are currently in Savannah, 80 miles from me, but DHL has a hold for some reason. I believe it's weather related though.
  3. I don't use my AVG Cart in that mode so I am unfamiliar with the partitioning operation, however if Windows Disk Manager will not partition the free space on the SD Card then perhaps a third party application may work. There are many free disk partitoners available now from AOMEI and EaseUS for instance.
  4. Since I was talking about the XL bus, I thought I'd mention this too... I got the 50 wire cable yesterday, and when I cut it with my sheer for 40 wire cable the result was less the satisfying. So I got the idea of using our 81/2" x 11" paper cutter. It worked great! DavidMil2
  5. It's from a reputable brand, so it's unlikely to cause problems. And Digikey is a major electronics distributor, so they probably have a return policy.
  6. I might create a timeline/capability/family tree on all the atari 8 bit DOS’s so I can figure out what’s what. I ‘ll post for comments/corrections.
  7. Updated INTV for me lately. 1. Yars Revenge 2. BurgerTime 3. Super Cobra 4. Centipede (very underrated game for the system) NES vs. Baseball (still my favorite baseball game ever) Popeye
  8. 1) We already have a command switch disable infos, So extending this seem logical. "-s: Use the -s switch to activate the so-called 'Silent mode', where no messages will be displayed, only errors (ERROR) and warnings (WARNING)." 2) A good system for disabling warnings would assign IDs to them and support selectively suppressing them. Generally, suppressing all warnings is not what you want. Reference: https://learn.microsoft.com/de-de/cpp/preprocessor/warning?view=msvc-170
  9. I just got hold of a Vtech Precomputer 1000 just so I could see what the Basic Programming Language was like. It's not good and no way to save programs, it's not either retained in memory. In the box was a leaflet of all the Vtech toys/"computers" including the I.Q Unlimited Computer. I am now embarking on a lifetime mission to obtain one and all the other electronic edutainment. Someone is flogging one on Ebay for nearby 200 bucks at the moment. Vintage 1991 VTech IQ Unlimited Computer Complete In Box | eBay Think I will wait until I have "unlimited money" before I purchase though!
  10. The board looks pretty clean and there is nothing obviously amiss. If ceramic capacitors go faulty the 5V line would short circuit and nothing would work. However they tend to physically break and go open circuit if anything. M511000A Fast Page DRAM is still readily available in various speeds, yours being 100nS, but faster ones usually work. I hope that you are good with a de-soldering iron? As DRAM Bank 0 is working and DRAM Bank 1 is missing as you have noted, it is unlikely to be a faulty MCU causing the missing 2MB Bank. DRAM Bank 1 has it's own signals called RAS2, CAS2H, CAS2L. As well as the Bank 0 equivalents, these signals originate from U30 STMCU and go to U59 74LS244 which buffer the signals. This is a common point to look at, although again, it is shared by DRAM Bank 0. U59 then feeds buffer resistors R71, R72, R74 respectively. An oscilloscope will help with diagnostics. Do you have access to one and what other diagnostic tools do you have available? Depending on how the DRAM has failed, one non-invasive test you could do, initially with a cold and powered off machine, is to place a drop of isopropanol onto each of the Bank 1 DRAM chips, which would be the two columns of eight DRAM chips U60 to U67 and U68 to U75, and observing their rate of evaporation on applying power. Faulty DRAM can get hotter and cause quicker evaporation (but not always). If you don't already own one, I can recommend the SidecarT. It will allow you to run many online cartridge images including the Atari ST Diagnostics, without dedicating an actual cartridge to the job. It can also run a floppy disk emulator and has also evolved to emulate a hard drive in a beta firmware. https://sidecartridge.com/
  11. I took apart two 7800 controllers to clean and repair them. While the repair was successful, I'm can not recall how to reassemble the controller. The only part I'm stuck on is with where the 7 wires at the base of the PCB should go. Clearly it can't go where the joystick mechanism is or so I thought. I tried moving the colored wires to the left or right but it doesn't quote have enough room. I should've taken some pictures while taking them apart but this is the first time I've been stumped on controller reassembly. And I've taken apart a lot of controllers from different systems but the 7800 joystick is weird. Thank you for your help
  12. For generic Saroo https://github.com/martinx72/SAROO_Firmware/ nowhere there it mentions a PC. Make sure you can validate the fpga and mcu versions as suggested. The actual link to the prepared files is https://github.com/martinx72/SAROO_Firmware/releases Or you can always just unpack the files you have been given into the sd card on your Mac … I assume you know how to do that and I expect they would follow the generic layout explained above. You surely do not like to do any legwork yourself and you seem to just ask for help even before trying … I literally just googled “how to flash a saroo” and clicked on the first link which is to a Reddit post with the links to the above. Here is another one: I assume you know how to format your sd card fat32 or exfat with your Mac (card should be formatted already), that you know how to uncompressed the files and then copy them over on your Mac.
  13. guppy

Movie Cart

Mine was just delivered! I'm going to have to find a game to sacrifice to put it into a shell, but I'm looking forward to playing with this thing as soon as I do that! Thank you! @rbairos and everyone who helped with testing!
  14. Here's the poll. I made one mistake when I created it: DOS XL and DOS XE were accidentally combined as a single item. SpartaDOS X slightly edges out DOS 2.5 and MyDOS at this point. They are clearly the top 3 DOS varieties used by people (on real hardware, at least), and nearly equally favored. Which DOS do you use on real hardware (Poll)?
  15. SAMS burn-in passes on this, so I will be using it going forward. Tested on one pico and one TI.
  16. There's a V3, which allows 8 MB SAMS memory. It was "unverified" at the time of the post. I don't know if anyone has built one yet. See here for more information:
  17. I was at Replay around this time last year. It's one of the more reasonably priced arcades in the country. I think it was $16 for all day play? Hell of a deal. Also, I was there during First Friday which is this amazing street festival right outside. What a great day that was. Pinball and crazy amounts of food.
  18. Intellivision - Astrosmash Centipede Demon Attack Commando Chip Shot: Super Pro Golf Atari - Defender Space Invaders Star Ship Night Driver Breakout Coleco - HERO Pitfall II Defender Galaxian River Raid The list is subject to fluctuation, of course, but at the moment these, game come to mind. 🙂
  19. Big improvement for Bumper Bash 1 ball Challenge. @Vocelli was right! I found a way to hit the E of ACE very often (and rest of it of course). So I managed to activate the "kickback" which helps alot! And finally hit the multiplier for more than 5x and the screen goes crazy blinking. What a ride: Bumper bash: 434505
  20. Because Atari is dead. If your neighbor dies and you buy all of his stuff, move into his home, and change your name to his you haven't become him. He's still dead and you're a weird, macabre imitation.
  21. This one resulted in an interesting classroom discussion while I was teaching English at the University of Kaiserslautern about 30 years ago. One of the students wanted to know what Rapsöl was in English. Canola wasn't a thing yet, so the direct translation at the time was Rape Seed Oil. I wrote that on the blackboard and underlined the word rape, explaining to the class that this was the only positive use of that word in the English language. One of the more quiet students spoke up to ask what the non-positive use was. I looked across the room and calmly told her the word would be Vergewaltigung in German. She was a bit shocked--but then the whole class realized that I carefully explained the meaning of one of the more not-nice words in English, at which point I had to explain the meanings of half a dozen other not-nice phrases and words that the students had run across but couldn't find in their dictionaries.
  22. holy...! that 192 vertical, thats why master system games are so friggin squashed looking with the huge bars on the top and bottom!
  23. Today
  24. @tf_hh can you help with this please? Mono - I think it just the XEGs aspect that a problematic - what ever is unique with this over 65XE or 130Xe and maybe not the ram expansion. as Alttira XEGS emularuon seems to dislike compy/u1mb and native imdb regardless of ram module.
  1. Load more activity