IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

The city council had to approve the dumping what ever it was from Atari.

Why? I seem to recall something saying that the landfill was operated by BFI, not the city. If the land was owned by BFI (private company, private property, etc.), unless some regulation required approval of local authorities before accepting out-of-area waste, there may not be any city council minutes referring to the incident. I may have to go back and re-read some of this thread, maybe there was some mention already of the city council being involved.

Why? I seem to recall something saying that the landfill was operated by BFI, not the city. If the land was owned by BFI (private company, private property, etc.), unless some regulation required approval of local authorities before accepting out-of-area waste, there may not be any city council minutes referring to the incident. I may have to go back and re-read some of this thread, maybe there was some mention already of the city council being involved.

But there were ordinances passed afterwards as a backlash. That would be in the city council meetings.

Some great ideas floating around here. I think that the biggest hinderance is the fact that the site where the cartridges are supposedly buried is now a park. Sure, you could get that ultrasound technology thing going, but all that might confirm is that there is a layer of concrete down there -- hardly unusual for a city dump. And I doubt that the city would let you strip-mine it for a treasure hunt.

The second-biggest hinderance is location. The Mythbusters go on the road on occasion, but usually only in the near-vicinity. Their New York trip was the only notable exception that I know of -- and hey, that was a party weekend in New York, not the middle of the desert.

On the plus side, Jamie and whats-his-face are likely gamers (or at least used to be) and were probably around in Atari's hey-day. This topic would more than likely interest them on that level, if the idea ever got past the producers and into their hands.

I think that if anyone approaches Mythbusters, the request should touch on several key things:

- Based on the numbers we have heard (number of trucks, amount of cement, etc.) is the "myth" possible?

- Scientifically, could relic carts bulldozed, buried, and cemented for 25 years survive in a workable format?

- Could ultrasound be performed to find a large amount of cement that matched the numbers mentioned above?

- If so, could a "selective dig" be performed to drill in a localized area, either a core sample or a narrow well-like hole, that would do little to disturb the surrounding area but might find some helpful clues?

The fact that Atari's 30th is coming up next year might tweak their interest as well. And even if not everyone has heard the myth, everyone has heard of Atari.

You could also add in a dash of "how long will modern technology last" before it physically breaks down. I remember when CDs came out, nobody was really sure how long the discs would last before they deteriorated. Some said 20 years, some said never. Here's an example of a test for the physical lifespan of plastic and silicon.

Ideally, it would be great for them to find the buried cache, recover some carts, and try them out on an actual system (have to be a Heavy Sixer though...!). It would be the best game of E.T. that anyone has ever played...

~G

But they would have been minors, probably, so the records won't be available.

Only if those minors requested their records be closed. Otherwise, they should still be public record.

So, that maximum possible size of the concrete slab is 70x70 feet, and likely much smaller. Good to know.

I still think a campaign contribution will get you a nice archaeological digging permit...especially if done with university students. I'd bet some professor could make a very legitimate project out of this for his students.

-Rob

Well, I'm not going to read that whole thing, but the word Bribe only came up twice in that argument and was not relevant to this discussion.

With that said, every politician gets funded for campaigns by campaign contributions from those that feel like giving them money. Sure, there's certain restrictions on amounts you may offer and such, but they don't get their free millions by sitting around and waiting for it to fall from the sky.

Potahto.

-Rob

But there were ordinances passed afterwards as a backlash. That would be in the city council meetings.

The first Article from the Alamogordo newspaper the ME Quiddy article on Sep 23 1983 said it was the City landfill not BFI.

As to the ordinances afterward yes they would have been discussed and there may be some reference to what happened.

I really wish I was an independently wealthy, eccentric that could devote more time to this. I don't know why I find this so fascinating.... I guess I have the eccentric part down pretty well.

BTW I was sad to see that Stingrays E.T's tomb in the desert synopsis site had been shut down...(EDITED to add: I would be happy to host/mirror it so that it stays available.)

Edited by grimbasement

NEW HAPPENINGS !

Patience is a virtue.

I finally got a call today from a reporter at the local paper.

I will be receiving a copy of the original articles later today by fax.

I will post them tomorrow.

The exciting news...

He will be writing a new story about the urban legend aspect of the story and

try to explain once and for all how the story is absolutely true.

He also confirmed that there is now a highway running directly over the old landfill.

When I told him how much a real and proven E.T. landfill cart might fetch on Ebay, he (jokingly?) said he was going to grab a shovel and head over.

He also mentioned that the town was not too thrilled with him writing the story because they are afraid of crazy atari nuts running all over the place with shovels.

Anyway, when he writes this new story, I will be getting a copy and we can all read it together and (hopefully) finally put this topic to rest.

He also confirmed that there is now a highway running directly over the old landfill.

You mean to tell me that E.T. is extending his little neck, levitating and rising up to the top of the pile and then, having encountered the bottom-side of a highway, falls back down to the bottom?

Oh n0es!

The first Article from the Alamogordo newspaper the ME Quiddy article on Sep 23 1983 said it was the City landfill not BFI.
I couldn't find an article from September 23, 1983. Link?

The article from September 25 mentions Browning Ferris Industries as receiving $300 - $500 per truckload. (The Atari Landfill Revealed - part 3) BFI is mentioned again in the September 27 article. In the September 29 article it is again spelled out as Browning Ferris Industries, as "operating" the dump. I did not notice any mention of who actually owned the property, but I think if there is indeed a highway crossing the site today, it very likely belongs to the state of New Mexico now.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

You mean to tell me that E.T. is extending his little neck, levitating and rising up to the top of the pile and then, having encountered the bottom-side of a highway, falls back down to the bottom?

Oh n0es!

Quick! Someone make a hack that combines E.T. and Freeway!

Here is the article from the Alamogordo Times from 1983.

The reporter called me again last night and we had a long talk about the 'Urban Legend' that is the Atari Landfill site.

He is writing a new story as I stated before that should run this weekend in that paper.

I will get the exact date so we can all call and order a copy when it comes out.

He has proof from the city manager that it actually happened. He also knows where the carts are buried, but once again, they are now under a highway. I have the address of the location at home and will post it later.

The funny part is how he said that any official person he talked to about it, didn't want to talk about it. They actually told him that they were not happy he was running the story.

He is using this thread for a lot of the new story as well. Say hi everyone. :D

Anyway, I hope this photo is legible. This is a photo copy from microphish that he then faxed to me. Best I could do...

post-5270-1166207009_thumb.jpg

I f they buried all those carts,then why werent the carts from the "crash"buried?,they ended up on warehouse selves and are being sold today,yes sold to 3rd party sellers.,like the 7800 carts.I've heard the carts were buried under a park to a buidling to a highway,it changes all the time.Its like a murder,you cant convict without evidence,pics and speculation and gossip through the grape vine from reporters DONT PROVE A THING,if they were buried,go to the spot,dig up the evidence,bits of plastic circuit board,etc,then it will be proven,but it would take a media coverage of some sorts to publicize the findings,and quite frankley i dont think anyone other than atari buffs gives a rats ass about this whole issue anyway,and neither would MYTH BUSTERS,not the sort of thing they do.So,we'll never know the truth.SAD BUT TRUE daaaa da da,dadadadadada,daaaaa da da,dadadadaaaaaaaaaa,dadaaaaaaaaa

Edited by Rik

So they are saying that a highway, which is probably between 40 and 80 feet wide, just happens to run over the exact, relatively small bit of that massive landfill that the goods are buried under?

I find that very, very hard to believe, and also suspect. The fact that most officials do not want to talk about it reeks of something badly. I can not accept that merely at face value just because some official said "BECAUSE I SAID SO, AND THAT'S FINAL."

It could be as simple as they don't want folks nosing around and digging stuff up there because it's a legal liability if someone got hurt. Or, it could be as far fetched as a conspiracy...like Atari didn't bury as much as they said and paid some BFI and/or city officials off, heh heh. ;-D

-Rob

So they are saying that a highway, which is probably between 40 and 80 feet wide, just happens to run over the exact, relatively small bit of that massive landfill that the goods are buried under?

I find that very, very hard to believe, and also suspect. The fact that most officials do not want to talk about it reeks of something badly. I can not accept that merely at face value just because some official said "BECAUSE I SAID SO, AND THAT'S FINAL."

It could be as simple as they don't want folks nosing around and digging stuff up there because it's a legal liability if someone got hurt. Or, it could be as far fetched as a conspiracy...like Atari didn't bury as much as they said and paid some BFI and/or city officials off, heh heh. ;-D

-Rob

Yeah,probably something corrupt as usual happened with all this,wouldnt surprise me,probably buried a couple million litres of toxic waste along with the carts.

Edited by Rik

The level of detail in that report is greater than what we've seen before. I'm also intrigued by the way the guys says that after it's over you won't even know it happened, which is exactly true. They also said that it was mixed with garbage which is a new detail, and that it was packed each day, which implies that it's probably deeper than it is wide.

Edited by mos6507