IGNORED

[AQUARIUS] Mattel Aquarius owners - Roll call!

Rev

Sammamish-Redmond-Issaquah area.

Sweet! Love that area, especially Issaquah. Gilman village and the little learning zoo at the top of the hill there are always "must see" stops anytime we go over the mountains. :D

Nice, between the three of us we are like a bermuda triangle of underappreciated vintage computing. Morgan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just a CIB Aquarius. Now I really need at least a mini-expander, and would be nice to have RAM and a cassette player. Then of course the upcoming multicart! :) If anyone has a reasonably priced mini-expander (doesn't need to be boxed, just working), let me know! :) Neat little computer!

I have the Radofin version, just the computer w/a hardwired power supply. I don't have any software or accessories for it.

John,

That is a very interesting system. The text "Aquarius" is outlined to the right, near the power-on light.

Useally the text "Aquarius" on Radofin computers is on the left near the keyboard.

aquarius-by-mattel.png vs. aquarius-by-radofin.png

What is the serial number on this system?

Regs,

Martin

The rarest items in my collection are: ...

Quick Disk Drive

VideoText modems (several)

Aquarius Modem (x6)

The Aquarius had a disk drive and MODEMS? Now I'm getting interested!! :)

Any term programs exist for the Aquarius?

John,

That is a very interesting system. The text "Aquarius" is outlined to the right, near the power-on light.

Useally the text "Aquarius" on Radofin computers is on the left near the keyboard.

What is the serial number on this system?

Regs,

Martin

Its in my brother's storage unit (I think) so I don't have access to it at the moment. I took that pic about four years ago when I picked it up at a local goodwill store.

The rarest items in my collection are: ...

Quick Disk Drive

VideoText modems (several)

Aquarius Modem (x6)

The Aquarius had a disk drive and MODEMS? Now I'm getting interested!! :)

Any term programs exist for the Aquarius?

Yes, the Aquarius had an official modem that was designed under Mattel. The Videotext modems came later, after Radofin took over.

The Mattel modem came with a very simple terminal program on cassette. I have a video of me using it with the StaryTTY.com portal, here:

Original promotional information can be found at the Blue Sky Ranger's website: http://www.intellivisiongames.com/bluesky/media/aquarius.html#modem

Although Mattel had a couple disk drives shown as "coming soon," they never saw the light of day. The Quick Disk Drive was developed and released under Radofin. Apparently, not many were made or sold. I have a prototype board that allows me to used a C64 disk drive, and that is pretty cool.

However, the vast majority of Aquarius users are stuck with the common data cassette recorder, which was released by Mattel. Hopefully, Jay or someone else with the skills will give us a true flash drive for the Aquarius.

Score! I just got a Mini-Expander and 4k cart for a really good price. Now I just need the tape player and this multicart :) :thumbsup: I will have a Nightstalker cart to play with until then.

Don't forget that most of the cassette games are in Virtual Aquarius and you can convert them to a .wav. and load them into the Aquarius using the headphone / speaker jack on your computer.

edit: wait, I guess you would need the cassette cable to do that anyway, duh!

Edited by Chuck D. Head

Score! I just got a Mini-Expander and 4k cart for a really good price. Now I just need the tape player and this multicart :) :thumbsup: I will have a Nightstalker cart to play with until then.

Don't forget that most of the cassette games are in Virtual Aquarius and you can convert them to a .wav. and load them into the Aquarius using the headphone / speaker jack on your computer.

edit: wait, I guess you would need the cassette cable to do that anyway, duh!

I want to save my own awesome creations. And it looks good next to the computer. EDIT: Yeah, and I would need the cable anyway, may as well get the whole deal.

I actually just typed in some of the demo programs. That keyboard is the worst! Until I realized I could type at least twice as fast by just 2-finger pecking.

Yes, the Aquarius had an official modem that was designed under Mattel. The Videotext modems came later, after Radofin took over.

The Mattel modem came with a very simple terminal program on cassette. I have a video of me using it with the StaryTTY.com portal, here:

Original promotional information can be found at the Blue Sky Ranger's website: http://www.intellivisiongames.com/bluesky/media/aquarius.html#modem

Although Mattel had a couple disk drives shown as "coming soon," they never saw the light of day. The Quick Disk Drive was developed and released under Radofin. Apparently, not many were made or sold. I have a prototype board that allows me to used a C64 disk drive, and that is pretty cool.

However, the vast majority of Aquarius users are stuck with the common data cassette recorder, which was released by Mattel. Hopefully, Jay or someone else with the skills will give us a true flash drive for the Aquarius.

Here is a portion of the order form that came with my Aquarius. Look at those prices! Pretty ambitious!

Note the disc drive, 32k ram cart, modem. Was the Extended BASIC ever released?

post-16769-129737685607_thumb.jpg

Here is a portion of the order form that came with my Aquarius. Look at those prices! Pretty ambitious!

Now you know why so few of those Radofin-only items are so rare. ;-) Yes, Extended Basic was released, as I have a boxed copy, and some other collectors do, as well. Extended Basic also came built into the Aquarius II.

Oh wow! I have not seen that document before... Could you post a high res scan or hi res photos of it? It would be cool to put up on Geek Vintage.