IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

In case you don't have enough to read through, I just ran across an article which contains the source code for MacPaint and QuickDraw.

Yep - Mr Fish sent them to me a couple of weeks back (I couldn't get the downloads to work for some reason). Thanks anyway! icon_smile.gif

Edited by flashjazzcat

Nice work! I'm feeling like I felt as a kid when I first saw Diamond GOS cartridges and dreamt of a mini-ST with a mouse and user friendly cartridge.

Believe me, when I play with the GUI demo on real hardware, I want to write a cheque and order it from ICD... but then I wake up again and remember there's another six months or so of coding to do before an even remotely usable beta exists! icon_ponder.gif

Believe me, when I play with the GUI demo on real hardware, I want to write a cheque and order it from ICD... but then I wake up again and remember there's another six months or so of coding to do before an even remotely usable beta exists! icon_ponder.gif

Still pretty awesome! Keep up the great work!

In case you don't have enough to read through, I just ran across an article which contains the source code for MacPaint and QuickDraw.

Yep - Mr Fish sent them to me a couple of weeks back (I couldn't get the downloads to work for some reason). Thanks anyway! icon_smile.gif

For anyone who happens to care, I've attached them to this post.

102658076_macpaint_acc.zip

102658076_quickdraw_acc.zip

• Like 1

Well, when I first saw that link, I did read the article, then checked out the Pascal code. I was expecting to see very beautifully formatted, perfect code, after reading about all of the author's code revisions & optimizations... what I saw, in the source, was a messy bunch of Pascal that any CS teacher would give a grade of "C" to. Perhaps this was not the final code submission. If it was, Apple's code submission standards sucked. MacPaint was a good application, in it's executable form, so maybe that's all that they cared about, or they were running on a very tight deadline, and figured that no one would actually see the source code. The article did say that Apple had stopped asking him for Reports about his progress... perhaps they shouldn't have, ha.

Aside from the author not bothering to take 20-30 minutes to pretty-print, line things up, break up functional sections, and provide minimal Procedure & Function commenting, the most annoying thing about the Pascal source code is that the author only used descriptive variable names once in a while. Sooo... don't expect to learn too much from it, without an Extensive period of study... & at that point, you would probably ask yourself, "Is this really worth it?"... Personally, my answer would be, "Probably not.".

Interesting find, though!

The most revealing thing to me about MacPaint sources is the application's resource file. This, and the Apple API documentation, have influenced my thinking on the design of the resource system. The sources also offer a useful insight into how menu selection was handled on the Mac, and the general structure of a real application. The QuickDraw sources would present algorithmic ideas for efficient drawing routines if only I understood 68000 assembler.

Beyond that, extensive line-by-line study would be counter productive, since the approach taken with the GUI is to reverse engineer documented features.

A welcome and hardly surprising side-effect of the GUI project taking shape is that exisiting "Desktops" for the A8 are subject to scrutiny and - where appropriate - revision and improvement. I wouldn't be surprised if the mooted version 3 of Diamond miraculously made an appearance this year. I'm not keeping count of the number of demos and updates I release, however. I sort of promised one a fortnight ago and it never materialized because the programming necessary to get there was much more complex than I'd envisaged and took twice as long as expected. It will be done when it's done, and it will be done right. :) The 6,000 lines of code I've produced so far perhaps represent 30 per cent of the finished code base, excluding the file manager and any apps. We're definitely in this for the long-haul...

As per your request:

Scrollbar handle scaling still to do, then the window sizer.

Ghosted out, XOR scroll handles looked bad when I tested them, so I think I'll stuck with "live" dragging. Note that the mouse doesn't have to remain inside the scroll bar when you're dragging the handle; this emulates Windows' behaviour, although I may make the scroll handle "snap" back to the original position if the mouse wanders outside of a specified range.

Interesting to note that the entire scroll bar gets redrawn every time an update is needed. It's fast enough to make the animation appear pretty seamless.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Looks Splendid! If you're not too over-worked, can you post another video, with the GUI employing the conventional Atari blue & white colors? I'm kinda curious to see what it would look like, in motion.

Yeah - some of the alternative colour schemes look good when the colour cycling kicks in. I'll make it configurable (grey text on black will probably look pretty mean). I've also been asked to make a video of the development environment (using WUDSN, etc), so I'll prepare these things this week.

That's pretty neat... It looks a lot like Windows 3.1. icon_thumbsup.gif

Mac OS surely?

We lean towards Mac OS here...

It is its own icon_smile.gif

what are you gonna name thing thing anyhow? AtOS? GU8? GR8GUI? JazzOS? FujiGUI?

...but yes: it is its own at the end of the day.

Ah - the name. Mr Fish and I still like Mach OS, but I guess we're open to suggestions, and yours have been the first. ATOS is taken. How about FlashOS? :)

Time to knock off for tonight, but I seem to have made more progress today than in the past two or three weeks. Things are moving fast... Window is now moveable, and another thirty minutes' coding will make it sizable too.

Edited by flashjazzcat

That's pretty neat... It looks a lot like Windows 3.1. :thumbsup:

Heresy!

Windows 3.1 was garbage, in part because MS was still tied up in litigation with Apple. It wasn't until Win95 (after the courts got tired of Apple and booted them from court) that MS started to implement a decent interface, and in fact improved on it in some ways.

Thanks for the compliment though... but we're definitely modeling this after the early Macs for obvious reasons.

Edited by MrFish