IGNORED

XF 551 - Troubleshooting

Patrik

Hi,

thanks for the advice. I will do the clean of the head and I will see how it goes. Btw I used the same booting disk for 1050 and XF 551 and when booting from 1050 it works fine, when booting from XF 551 it starts booting, but it stops after while resulting in Error 173.

Error 144 is displayed when testing sectors (reading) using SmarDos feature Test sectors.

Thanks,

Pat

SmartDOS 6.1d/6.3 error 173 is sector error on formating. If you weren't formatting when error 173 then that would be odd. I know some

drives won't read/write certain sectors. I had a Indus GT that consistently gave errors above sector 700, where did you you get

error 144 with the sector test?

Edited by russg

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

thanks a lot for all the advices, but I got it sorted. The issue was D503 FDD Mitsumi - the FDD was simple bad. Recently I was able to get two D503V FDD Mitsumi (refurbished) and it works fine (I also checked the controller and it was fine too). The RPMs also looks ok using SmartDos 4.2. 300 RPMs.

Given the fact that I do have one more spare D503V FDD I will looking for another controller :grin:

Rgs,

PAt

That's already been done by me. :)

And it works just fine, I did build a working prototype.

Both 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch drives can be used, with the modified Eprom. (by Bob Woolley)

PCB files attached.

The design file is also available on request.

FLOPPYA.zip

Edited by guus.assmann
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

Both 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch drives can be used, with the modified Eprom. (by Bob Woolley)

PCB files attached.

Hi

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I have a couple questions. I was looking over the schematic and I'm not sure how this board is powered. I guess I missed it but there doesn't seem to be a power jack or any power supply circuitry. Do you use completely remove the original XF551 motherboard or somehow connect this to it?

Thanks,

PCB files attached.

I hope someday another batch of this board will be made. :)

Robert

Hello Venom4728A,

It is not my intention to make this board.

But as has been quoted, I am willing to send the design files. So it's easy to have a PCB made.

The problem however is the floppy controller. It's not available as a new part anymore. (But it can be salvaged from some computer systems like the Atari ST)

BR/

Guus

Regarding another controller.... I have that wet dream of replicating an XF551 by reproducing its PCB, ... connect a generic 360 kB floppy to it and call it a day. What do you think?

I'd love to have an SIO2floppy controller board that lets me hook up a generic floppy drive. Actually, if someone would build the controller/power board I'd buy two or three of them. I already have some generic floppy drives laying around. What I don't have is a completly working xf551. Of my last two one is definitely fried, and the other refuses to do double density on the top head.

I was shown that board a few months ago, it is exactly what I want and am looking for, plus you can hook up to 4 drives to one controller. too bad its not possible to make it today.

Hooking up and using HD drives would be a very nice option. I have a few 1050/xf-551 cases with bad boards I am looking for a way to resurrect or upgrade them for use again.

Robert

I've been thinking about trying to redo the original XF551 board, making it smaller and better with a two layer board. Looks like GUUS.ASSMANN has beat me too it. ;-) The chips would be socketed, and probably user sourced. I have been able to find both the 8040 and the WD1772 chips on ebay. Sadly I have not been able to source the 8050, so you might only have that if it comes in the XF551 you alreay have.

I've also thought about maybe incorporating any changes necessary to upgrade to a 3 1/2" floppy and a jumper option to switch between the HyperXF/Bob's Mod/Original XF551 OS.

To those who want to extort the newer devices, I am well aware of them. This project is unlikely to be anything more than a exercise in summer dalliance. But I'd like to try.

I've been thinking about trying to redo the original XF551 board, making it smaller and better with a two layer board. Looks like GUUS.ASSMANN has beat me too it. ;-) The chips would be socketed, and probably user sourced. I have been able to find both the 8040 and the WD1772 chips on ebay. Sadly I have not been able to source the 8050, so you might only have that if it comes in the XF551 you alreay have.

I've also thought about maybe incorporating any changes necessary to upgrade to a 3 1/2" floppy and a jumper option to switch between the HyperXF/Bob's Mod/Original XF551 OS.

To those who want to extort the newer devices, I am well aware of them. This project is unlikely to be anything more than a exercise in summer dalliance. But I'd like to try.

I would be on board to buy up to 3, Is it possible it would work in a 1050 case too?

I do have hyper xf rom already.

Robert.

Hello Dropcheck

The XF551 can use either the 8040 or the 8050. AFAIK, one of them has extra options that aren't used in the XF551.

BTW if the PCB can be made smaller, there should be enough space for CSS's Dual Drive Upgrades (DDU) electronics. If Bob Puff doesn't allow you to use the code/schematics he used, maybe you could reserve some space for it. So you'ld only have to buy the DDU from CSS, and plug it into the new PCB.

Mathy

• Like 1

I would be on board to buy up to 3, Is it possible it would work in a 1050 case too?

Robert.

I have no idea what the cost of the board with everything thing on except the chips would be. It maybe so expensive I can't even afford the prototype because of the small run number. I've got a few days off coming up this week, hopefully I can put together the schematic in eagle and get an idea of the board size to get a quote. I'll know more later.

• Like 1

Hello Dropcheck

The XF551 can use either the 8040 or the 8050. AFAIK, one of them has extra options that aren't used in the XF551.

BTW if the PCB can be made smaller, there should be enough space for CSS's Dual Drive Upgrades (DDU) electronics. If Bob Puff doesn't allow you to use the code/schematics he used, maybe you could reserve some space for it. So you'ld only have to buy the DDU from CSS, and plug it into the new PCB.

Mathy

I had heard there was an upgrade that would allow both drives in one case. I certainly wouldn't mind planning for it, but I have no earthly idea what connections need to be made. Do you have any info on what the upgrade consisted of?

Hello Dropcheck

They don't fit in one case, they're just connected together electronically. And the power supply circuits of the XF551 can't reliably feed both drives, so you either need to use a second power supply that only feeds the second drive mech, or come up with an upgrade for the power supply circuits.

I've got the instructions for the DDU in PDF, if you send me a PN with your email address and a short reminder what we are talking about and I'll sent it to you.

Mathy

Robert.

I have no idea what the cost of the board with everything thing on except the chips would be. It maybe so expensive I can't even afford the prototype because of the small run number. I've got a few days off coming up this week, hopefully I can put together the schematic in eagle and get an idea of the board size to get a quote. I'll know more later.

Awesome, If there is any way i can help, let me know.

Robert

Hallo All,

Here's the design files.

It's been made with Ultiboard and Ulticap.

The name of these programs is now Multisim if I'm correct.

As the board is quite small, it will not be very expensive. I would estimate about 15 Dollars in a series of 10 pieces.

Most board houses should be able to use the .DDF files.

There's two design files. Unfortunatelly I don't know right now, what's the correct one, but I think that Floppy is the correct one.

On the PDF files: A and B are the top side A is "normal" and B is "refelected". (Component side) C and D are the bottom.

On the top, there's a text written with traces. (Floppy XF) and on the bottom only GA with the A inside the G.

Changes to the design are relatively simple.

So if it can be agreed what should change, I can make it.

But I don't have the possibillity to get boards made.

I have made one working prototype of the board some time ago.

BR/

Guus

FLOPPY1.zip

FLOPPYA.zip

Edited by guus.assmann

Why not also put a version of the Speedy XF in there? Didn't somebody have a look at why the Speedy XF upgrade works/worked with some drives but not with all of them?

The Speedy XF is an unstable/picky upgrade by design. Several have looked at the design, no one found an easy fix (or something must been changed this year)