IGNORED

Ultimate1MB - new preorder

candle

You can:

LDA $027F80 ;a 24-bit address

LDA $027F80,X ;indexed 24-bit address

LDA ($30),Y ;indirect, indexed using a 24-bit address in $30-$32

and, others... with STA equivalents.

All under the stock OS - no tricks. I assume you mean 6502 mode? Yes. Works great!

Bob

I don't think a ramdisk is significantly faster than just a CF card on the PBI. You not only have virtually unlimited space with a CF card, but also no need for a driver, per se. Or a DOS, for that matter.

The fact is, RAMdisks are usually significantly slower than a CF card on the PBI. RAMdisks can't usually do burst mode (because the destination buffer for a sector read may be in the same location as the banking window), so the I/O needs to be buffered. So that, plus all the other HDD advantages you mention. ;)

For a few weeks I'm running my BBS now on a 64KB Atari 8bit. In the past I *REALLY* needed a ramdisk for the memory-swapping the BBS is doing during a user call. In the 'worst scenario' the BBS swaps around 19KB to (ram)disk and back to memory. When using a harddrive on my blackbox, this is really a slow thing, but now with the newest MyBIOS this is incredible fast. I get (almost) the same performance as with a ramdisk. With the speed-check-tool (rwtest or something?) I found out that the ramdisk is still faster than MyIDE but the difference is hardly noticeable.

So now my BBS runs rather fast on a plain 64KB atari 800XE. I'm really impressed by this speed.

• Like 1

I found out that the ramdisk is still faster than MyIDE but the difference is hardly noticeable.

I tend to base my assertions on SDX in conjunction with one of the (several) HDD interfaces which manage 64KB/s or more using quad density partitions. Such a setup will run considerably faster than a RAMdisk. :)

• Like 2

Today I got my first shipment at the post office, so 50% is received, Thanks candle.

Two questions:

1) I thought I read somewhere that the fix with the resistors was done now on the PCB, but I see resistors packed with the shipping. Does this mean I still have to modify motherboard of atari or did I miss something?

2) How can I see what cable is for 600XL?

Thanks candle, it is great to have all this here on my table. I'm very happy with it!

Greetz

M.

1) I thought I read somewhere that the fix with the resistors was done now on the PCB, but I see resistors packed with the shipping. Does this mean I still have to modify motherboard of atari or did I miss something?

I thought the same but apparently we were wrong

It was clearly stated in the first post that these units are using the same PCB as the first batch so the resistor fix would still be required.

"board wasn't altered so there is still a need of adding 2 resistors to RD4 and RD5 signal lines (please see spiflash.org, or previous preorder thread for details)"

I thought the same but apparently we were wrong

It was clearly stated in the first post that these units are using the same PCB as the first batch so the resistor fix would still be required.

"board wasn't altered so there is still a need of adding 2 resistors to RD4 and RD5 signal lines (please see spiflash.org, or previous preorder thread for details)"

Sometimes something clear to someone may not be so clear to others for various reasons (like lack of attention), apparently we both missed that particular line

Edited by atari8warez

Candle already replied that hours before you. But thanks for pointing it out another time, so now it is clear :D

1) no, i've clearly stated this is the same board that was in first run, so resistors or dropecheck's adapter is required

2) yoiu'll know when you receive second parcell - all 5 units for 600xl are there

Ah thanks. Yes. I did miss that line, but I really thought I read something about those resistors somewhere, I must have read something somewhere, and made my own conclusion. It's no problem, I love to solder, the more the better :D