IGNORED

Ultimate1MB - new preorder

candle

lets just say Marius has 15 machines with u1mb installed in them

I have over 100 Atari 8bit machines. I have a large stock of brand-new in box 130XE computers. A giant stock of (almost) new 65XE/800XE. A rather interesting collection of 800XL and 600XL machines, a few Atari 800 computers, a 1200XL, 5 or 6 XEGS....

Most of this stock is 'spare' to be sure I have till I die enough Atari equipment to enjoy....

But in use is this:

1x Atari 800XE, with replaced GTIA, and with MyIDE bios. Just 64KB machine... to run my BBS on ( telnet://bbs.inspiration-soft.com )

1x Atari 800XL with Ultimate 1MB

1x Atari 65XE, with replaced GTIA, 128KB and with MyIDE bios.

1x Atari 600XL, with 576KB (Hiassoft upgrade) and with dual OS, MyIDE and rev. 2 XL/XE OS

The other stack of Ultimate 1MB is patiently waiting to be installed (again) and/or used.

I just typed on my own BBS that I'm a very happy Atari user... I love all this fabulous stuff. It's amazing how cool this all is.

lets just say Marius has 15 machines with u1mb installed in them

I have over 100 Atari 8bit machines. I have a large stock of brand-new in box 130XE computers. A giant stock of (almost) new 65XE/800XE. A rather interesting collection of 800XL and 600XL machines, a few Atari 800 computers, a 1200XL, 5 or 6 XEGS....

Most of this stock is 'spare' to be sure I have till I die enough Atari equipment to enjoy....

But in use is this:

1x Atari 800XE, with replaced GTIA, and with MyIDE bios. Just 64KB machine... to run my BBS on ( telnet://bbs.inspiration-soft.com )

1x Atari 800XL with Ultimate 1MB

1x Atari 65XE, with replaced GTIA, 128KB and with MyIDE bios.

1x Atari 600XL, with 576KB (Hiassoft upgrade) and with dual OS, MyIDE and rev. 2 XL/XE OS

The other stack of Ultimate 1MB is patiently waiting to be installed (again) and/or used.

I just typed on my own BBS that I'm a very happy Atari user... I love all this fabulous stuff. It's amazing how cool this all is.

Good Lord!!, I think calling you an ATARI MAN is the understatement of the year :-D.

I should give your BBS a call as soon as I have some time. Is it in English or Dutch (or both)?

Just called and registered, man it's been ages since i called an Atari BBS, reminded me the 300bps days. I also used to run a BBS myself back in the 80's, I believe it was called Downtown Atari Club (can't even be 100% sure about the name now), but I remember one of my first hardware projects back then was to build an auto-answer device basically made of a simple relay connected to the phone line and to the modem. I believe my first modem was a 1030 which didn't have auto-answer feature. Then I upgraded to a XM301, a US Robotics 1200, another US Robotics 2400 and then finally to a Hayes 9600.

Edited by atari8warez

seems fine

can you do the same with u1mb installed?

Robert (rdemming) put a pull-up resistor on A13 line to get his one working reliable, but then he got another one and put it into another 800xl and it was fine - what i've asked him to do, was to swap OS ROM cables and see if unit working fine will develop something like he was seeing on the other machine prior to his fix

I believe it was A14 or A15. I will check later (and make a picture of it).

I did not yet try the old unit with the new cables as I have to desolder the resistor then. But I will test it later as I want to be sure which combinations of cables/boards/800XL work.

Atari8warez said that the problem seems only with 800XLs. In my case it was, the U1MB board that had problems in my 800XL did work correctly in a 130XE.

A giant stock of (almost) new 65XE/800XE.

You must have bought the complete stock of your local InterToys store when they were dumping 800XE machines for very cheap after Atari's demise :P

I got a three of them too but because of the bad GTIA chip in them I used them to get the 14MHz crystal needed for my VBXE boards :D

Robert

A giant stock of (almost) new 65XE/800XE.

You must have bought the complete stock of your local InterToys store when they were dumping 800XE machines for very cheap after Atari's demise :P

I can confirm he did not got the complete stock :-)

damn both of you ;)

with very little hope - any of you got a spare 520st (or st+) i could use for a case?

was thinking about making a post in auction central subforum, bu i heistate

anyways, i would love to have the case, but i wouldn't want to kill perfectly good machine in the process

, but i don't know why not doing it with precision sockets instead - they aren't that much more expensive, but will last forever

Hi,

For the uninformed, what are precision sockets? Obviously, they're "better," but how many varieties of sockets are there? Precision isn't a brand name, is it? When ordering sockets, how might one be sure to get precision ones? Thanks.

no, its not brand name, its just how they are made

standard socket is a piece of metal sheet cut and bend so it would make a connection

precision sockets have pins made of elements you could make on very fine lathe and with small pieces of gold coated springs pushed into them

28_PIN_DIP.jpg

379234740_966.jpg

Edited by candle
  • Like 1

For the uninformed, what are precision sockets? Obviously, they're "better," but how many varieties of sockets are there? Precision isn't a brand name, is it? When ordering sockets, how might one be sure to get precision ones? Thanks.

Often they're called "turned" sockets, because they're turned on a machine - not stamped out of a sheet of tin, like machine sockets. Precision or turned sockets (be careful not to confuse turned sockets with those with legs bent at a right angle, however) have rows of machine turned pins, which don't deform when you push chip legs into them:

post-21964-0-35881100-1342699833_thumb.jpg

They're a little more expensive than machine sockets, but if you order them from Hong Kong you'll hardly notice the difference. There's really no excuse for using anything less unless you think precious Atari upgrades aren't worth spending a couple of extra pounds / dollars on to ensure they work.

• Like 2

The only problem with these precision sockets is that some upgrades do use pin-headers with rather 'fat' pins. They won't fit in these.

That is not the fault of those sockets, but the fault of the people who use too big pens on their upgrades/adapters.

I bought a PLCC -> DIP adapter for flash eproms. Those darn things came with too big pens, so I could not use them in precision sockets :S

Often they're called "turned" sockets, because they're turned on a machine - not stamped out of a sheet of tin, like machine sockets. Precision or turned sockets (be careful not to confuse turned sockets with those with legs bent at a right angle, however) have rows of machine turned pins, which don't deform when you push chip legs into them:

post-21964-0-35881100-1342699833_thumb.jpg

They're a little more expensive than machine sockets, but if you order them from Hong Kong you'll hardly notice the difference. There's really no excuse for using anything less unless you think precious Atari upgrades aren't worth spending a couple of extra pounds / dollars on to ensure they work.

With far east purchases it usually isn't the dollars but is the shipping time and in my case it wasn't because i was counting pennies but because I really wanted to get this U1MB up and running after I waited for a long time to receive it and didn't have the patience to wait for another 3-4 weeks. (No Candle didn't ship them late, I was just waiting impatiently so I can start writing code for SDX....just in case somebody jumps on me again thinking I am bashing him ;)) Sure I could have ordered them from US or Canada but I hate paying shipping that costs several times the price of the actual good, and I really hate shopping from The Source (former Radio Shack). Anyway I had some spare regular sockets, which by the way always served me well, and that's why I used them. And FJC my U1MB problems are not due to sockets and never remember having any problems because i didn't use precision sockets (I've socketed several machines for RAM and they worked just fine and they still do)

Edited by atari8warez

The only problem with these precision sockets is that some upgrades do use pin-headers with rather 'fat' pins. They won't fit in these.

That is not the fault of those sockets, but the fault of the people who use too big pens on their upgrades/adapters.

I bought a PLCC -> DIP adapter for flash eproms. Those darn things came with too big pens, so I could not use them in precision sockets :S

There you go, another potential reason for using regular sockets...

No; seriously not. I agree with candle that those precision sockets are (much) better. Especially when you are replacing the IC's IN the sockets now and then... IMO the precision sockets are the 'regular' ones. I only use these, and I call the non-precision ones the 'el cheapo' ones.

I have always been using precision sockets with big pleasure, until I wanted to test an eeprom in plcc package inside my atari. I found out that the adapter did not fit...

But let's get back to the topic: do you have the u1mb working now?

• Like 1

pins Marius

pins

these adapters are ment for programmers, when you have ZIF socket that will easly accomodate that extra thickness

and they last longer - turned pins like this costs $2 for 40 pins and are easy to break

Speaking of these turned pins... I need a pin header with those tiny pins on both sides. Could you tell me how to find these... I don't know what keyword(s) too look for. Thanks!

No; seriously not. I agree with candle that those precision sockets are (much) better. Especially when you are replacing the IC's IN the sockets now and then... IMO the precision sockets are the 'regular' ones. I only use these, and I call the non-precision ones the 'el cheapo' ones.

I have always been using precision sockets with big pleasure, until I wanted to test an eeprom in plcc package inside my atari. I found out that the adapter did not fit...

But let's get back to the topic: do you have the u1mb working now?

Oh I agree with him too, they are obviously better... I just prefer to be el cheepo if the cheap ones will serve me reasonably good ;)

And nope it's still same, it's sort of working but not without screen corruption and IO problems. I am currently busy assembling my last 3 SIO2PC orders and I am waiting for Robert's photos of his solution.

My latest test were done with the computer's cover/keyboard off and the screen doesn't get corrupted as badly as it did with the cover ON for some reason (and that's with or without the extension cable I made for it). So it still keeps puzzling me.... I am almost inclined to say that dirty word "PHI2" :P

post-15627-0-10774700-1342717052_thumb.jpg

Edited by atari8warez

I have said it in other places on AA, but...

http://www.bgmicro.com/machinepin.aspx

altho in smaller sizes they are pricey, but in DIP40, they are only marginally more then ordering from china, and because they are in the US, shipping is much faster...

lately tho, i have gone over to machine pin strips for anything but DIP40...

sloopy.