IGNORED

Space Harrier Released

Sheddy

I've not bothered to keep the development site up anymore, so this thread is about the only place to download the game from now. :( (Have emailed and put it in atarimania forum, but no entry yet. Not in fandal's either. Maybe they worry about Sega?)

I guess you are referring to Atari's recent battles with the emulation/classic gaming market/community...there again i don't think sega are anywhere near as stupid as Atari made themselves out to be (i.e i can't see them going after a homebrew programmer just because they did a conversion of one of their oldie coin op games)

After all i have'nt heard tecmo (or at least i think it was tecmo) hitting tezz or vega etc with legal action over Bomb Jack (bomb jake)

Are you thinking of hacking out SH2 for the A8 then Sheddy

Cool! Thanks Bunsen - Somehow I didn't actually know about those ABBUC Awards :)

Carmel, yeah, that was the kind of thing that crossed my mind. But it's probably just that Atarimania and Fandal have better things to do. :)

A definite no to SH2 - Just a pale imitation of the original IMO. :P

Edited by Sheddy

Cool! Thanks Bunsen - Somehow I didn't actually know about those ABBUC Awards :)

Carmel, yeah, that was the kind of thing that crossed my mind. But it's probably just that Atarimania and Fandal have better things to do. :)

A definite no to SH2 - Just a pale imitation of the original IMO. :P

Ah, that's a shame, but any other projects you're doing or are in the oven sheddy, let us know

I've not bothered to keep the development site up anymore, so this thread is about the only place to download the game from now. :( (Have emailed and put it in atarimania forum, but no entry yet. Not in fandal's either. Maybe they worry about Sega?)

I guess you are referring to Atari's recent battles with the emulation/classic gaming market/community...there again i don't think sega are anywhere near as stupid as Atari made themselves out to be (i.e i can't see them going after a homebrew programmer just because they did a conversion of one of their oldie coin op games)

After all i have'nt heard tecmo (or at least i think it was tecmo) hitting tezz or vega etc with legal action over Bomb Jack (bomb jake)

It's Tehkan

It's Tehkan

You're both right, Tekhan became Tecmo. :)

-Thom

Only if it could be a bit less streaky and also fully animated like the existing one

How many frames are there in the animation? I guess it would involve working out which scanlines are modified and changing the on-screen data and the DLI data on the fly. This would probably be more feasible than RastaConverting each and every frame.

Would there be enough space left to do this? (to fit on a cartridge).

Well, the different objects in the title screen all have separate animation loops with different timing, so something fairly similar to the original would still need quite a lot of frames. Yeah, maybe the frame differences could mostly work... the scaling in animation of the spinning logo would probably need quite different RastaConverter solutions for each frame though.

If the high score save feature is removed there's 64K (plus a few K left scattered around here and there). So maybe not enough.

Maybe some people disagree, but I kinda like the title screen the way it is, and the game is... err, well...released and finished. :P It's a pretty good calibration test that your TV or monitor is set up OK to play the game without major eye strain! The flickering is most noticeable on the title screen, so adjust brightness and contrast until it is bearable, and so the light blue shading is whiter rather than bluer.

Edited by Sheddy

Maybe some people disagree, but I kinda like the title screen the way it is, and the game is... err, well...released and finished. :P I

You shouldn't feel pressured in any way to re-do the screen, this is your creation and so is your choice how to implement it.

If however you do wish to re-do it with some RastaConverter kind of thing, maybe you could just either sync the animations (come on, lets be honest, apart from you and your brother, who else is going to notice them not being 100% faithful?) or you could just animate the man waving on his own? Or alternatively, no animation at all.

• Like 1

Sorry about the screenshots, I just couldn't get anything decent.

I'll gladly replace them if somebody is willing to send better ones (about three or four per level for the first three stages would be great, plus the intro screen which is missing as well).

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Many thanks Atari Frog! It's very difficult to make decent screenshots of it without the newer versions of Altirra or Atari800WinPlus to blend them for you. I tried to get some similar shots to the existing ones:

post-1211-0-17334800-1346542345_thumb.png

post-1211-0-26794600-1346542358_thumb.png

post-1211-0-01525300-1346542386_thumb.png

post-1211-0-04303300-1346542409_thumb.png

post-1211-0-37486600-1346542505_thumb.png

post-1211-0-24869000-1346542522_thumb.png

post-1211-0-92016000-1346542534_thumb.png

post-1211-0-00919200-1346542546_thumb.png

post-1211-0-52876000-1346542568_thumb.png

post-1211-0-04332200-1346542598_thumb.png

post-1211-0-92157800-1346542614_thumb.png

post-1211-0-03368300-1346542627_thumb.png

Maybe some people disagree, but I kinda like the title screen the way it is, and the game is... err, well...released and finished. :P I

You shouldn't feel pressured in any way to re-do the screen, this is your creation and so is your choice how to implement it.

If however you do wish to re-do it with some RastaConverter kind of thing, maybe you could just either sync the animations (come on, lets be honest, apart from you and your brother, who else is going to notice them not being 100% faithful?) or you could just animate the man waving on his own? Or alternatively, no animation at all.

To be honest, it'd have to be a big improvement for me to want to go there. I'll probably try some more static RastaConverter experiments to see what's realistic though.

Edited by Sheddy

Many thanks Atari Frog! It's very difficult to make decent screenshots of it without the newer versions of Altirra or Atari800WinPlus to blend them for you. I tried to get some similar shots to the existing ones:

Yeah, it's like trying to make YouTube videos of 2600 games. Many of them used some kind of flicker and the videos make them look unplayable.

• Like 1

If anyone's interested, I've added screenshots and audio clips from this version of Space Harrier to my website. Everything was captured while playing the game on an Atari 130XE, and then the screenshots got a bit of polish using GIMP. Normally when there is flicker I create animate GIFs to give a better idea of what a system is doing to create its graphics. I decided in this case that would be way too much work and would distract from just how awesome this game really looks, so everything is still frames, except for the title shot.

Right now I have bits for only one other version of the game, but it's the Commodore 64 version, so you can still make some comparisons. Of course, really there is none.

Click here for the goods.

Sheddy, thanks for an awesome game!

• Like 1