IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

So NQ podcast communicates with their fans, which is the exact opposite of Retronauts.

Plus they do a podcast every week, instead of every few months like Retronauts. I like what Bob Mackey has done with it since he took over, but new episodes are sparse, and I totally skipped the last few. Still, it was the first "retro" video game podcast I found, so I'll probably never unsub. It led me to Retrocity and Twitch Asylum, so it can't be all bad. Right?
  • Like 2

Anyone else a bit underwhelmed by the latest Retrogaming Roundup?

-poor audio quality (personally unlistenable) MAGfest panel segment nearly an hour long (ok Scott, we get it, YOU LIKE MAGFEST, give it a MAG-rest!)

-Wreck-it Ralph interview played 3 months after its theater release? Should've been part of October show

-they did a similar pinball Top 10 not that long ago (I recall Xenon mentioned then too)

-seemingly "filler" songs here & there (KISS, Elastica, chip tunes)

I dunno, the show didn't really grab me until over halfway in, then AGAIN with SoCal's connection probs. while Scott & UK goof off their way thru the news, finally that godawful 20Qs segment I never bother with. I guess everyone needs a break now & then.

Edited by RJ

Anyone else a bit underwhelmed by the latest Retrogaming Roundup?

-poor audio quality (personally unlistenable) MAGfest panel segment nearly an hour long (ok Scott, we get it, YOU LIKE MAGFEST, give it a MAG-rest!)

-Wreck-it Ralph interview played 3 months after its theater release? Should've been part of October show

-they did a similar pinball Top 10 not that long ago (I recall Xenon mentioned then too)

-seemingly "filler" songs here & there (KISS, Elastica, chip tunes)

I dunno, the show didn't really grab me until over halfway in, then AGAIN with SoCal's connection probs. while Scott & UK goof off their way thru the news, finally that godawful 20Qs segment I never bother with. I guess everyone needs a break now & then.

I agree, the sound quality and overall quality were not up to the usual standards. I missed SoCal Mike not being there. I skipped over the MagFest segment as soon as I heard the sound. That was the only part I skipped though. The 20 questions seemed to go by quicker than usual, unless I tuned out. :) But ultimately, they are actually doing a podcast and I am not.

Hey sorry guys :) I had bought a new router to replace one that was about 7 years old and ever since the replacement came in things have been out of whack. I finally determined I also needed a new modem and bought one the morning we did live news. Bought one at Staples and brought it home and called COX to sync it up and they said my new modem was already registered to someone else and he couldn't do anything about it without the permission of whom it was registered too. So it appeared I bought one that was returned (but still activated, weird) so had to run back to staples and get another one. You can hear some of my cussing in the car in our outtakes audio. The good news is everything is back up and running as it should so at least for my audio issues, should all be fixed up for the Feb show.

Edited by Parrothead

I skipped over the MagFest segment as soon as I heard the sound.

Me too. Also because it was about MAGfest again. Scott gets excited for it a few shows prior to the actual event, & still goes on about it well after. That audio quality was less than I expected from this show.

& I skipped the Wreck-it Ralph talk, way past that being fresh/interesting. Heard all that hype before its release last year.

I miss SoCal's presence on the news too. He really needs to get back on there, yes I understand they like to have fun, & it's a really loose segment, & I dont skip it, but Scott & UK are a couple of giggly schoolgirls.

Edited by RJ

I miss SoCal's presence on the news too. He really needs to get back on there, yes I understand they like to have fun, & it's a really loose segment, & I dont skip it, but Scott & UK are a couple of giggly schoolgirls.

I sensed the same thing the last two months; I like all three, but when one is gone, no bueno! I guess the Great Interrupter is more greater than we thought. Hopefully SoCal's shit is sorted now.

Hey S1500, didnt you mention awhile back your next podcast would be on Gauntlet? I recall getting excited for that, still waiting on it. ;)

Yep, and I've really been lazy about it too! Heh. I'll try again this weekend. My last excuse: Thinkpad died.

• Like 1

Thumbs up to ImplantGamers for discussing Zool 2, an obscure under-the-radar Jaguar game, in a positive manner! How about a Jag game discussion every episode?

Implant games had some interesting comments on the Jaguar community. Heh.

I give kudos to No Quarter for daring to say what no other podcasts have dared to say: "download the ROM". Hardcore indeed. No need to skirt around the issue, everyone does it.

Funny I was JUST about to mention IMPLANTGAMERS. I enjoy them a lot myself, no cursing, screaming, gimmicky etc. AND THEY TALK ABOUT RETRO GAMES lol. They are not full of themselves and unlike some other podcasts I have given up on the focus on the subject matter at hand rather then themselves.

• Like 1

Sooooo...here's an update on what I'm subscribed to:

GAMING PODCASTS

Retro Game Squad (just releasd a new ep)

Retro League (still a favorite)

Player One Podcast

Gameroom Junkies (dead in the water?)

IMPLANT gamers

AllGen Gamers

Retronauts

Retrogaming Radio

Retrogaming Roundup

No Quarter

NONGAMING PODCASTS

Points of Articulation (on the chopping block, needs MORE LEGO talk & LESS Transformer talk)

You Dont Know Flack (topics vary enough to be considered nongaming)

Flashback Twin Cities (features past Twin Cities TV personalities, thanks S1500!)

The Retroist

Revenge of the 80s Radio

Stuck in the 80s podcast

Garage Logic (conservative afternoon talk radio)