IGNORED

Looking for a tabletop pinball suggestion or two.

Some lucky Americans have the chance to pick these two machines up! One is the best home pinball machine you can get, the second generation Zizzle Marvel Superheroes pinball and it's going for a great price! http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FMARVEL-ACTION-HEROES-PINBALL-MARCHINE-%2F200909969821

There's also a much cheaper game, not as complex but still a fun pinball machine to have at home. I personally own the same machine but with a Batman theme, however this Hulk one has the same layout and sounds so plays just the same. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FIncredible-Hulk-Marvel-2003-Electronic-Pinball-Pin-Ball-Machine-%2F130877407222

Both of these machines are larger than the previous ones I found on eBay, with the Zizzle being the larger of the two.

• Like 2

Some lucky Americans have the chance to pick these two machines up! One is the best home pinball machine you can get, the second generation Zizzle Marvel Superheroes pinball and it's going for a great price! http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FMARVEL-ACTION-HEROES-PINBALL-MARCHINE-%2F200909969821

You mean some lucky American who can get to New Jersey to pick that up ;)

Thanks for pointing those out!

The 2007 Star Wars toy pinball arrived today. The flashing lights in the backboard and Star Wars samples are initially entertaining and lend to the experience of a real machine, but there's no volume control so the audio is a "love it or hate it" kind of thing. The ramp is cute and adds a little to the play, but it's not interactive with scoring. Bumpers are passive, and with the standard incline the action is pretty slow -- but after placing a 2x4 under the rear legs, the increased speed made it much more entertaining. It has nice artwork, and after propping it is much more playable.. The construction is the minimum necessary with a very thin acrylic top and plastic bottom cover, so I'm not sure how well it would hold up with kids.

I'm not sure I would recommend it to others, mainly because the passive bumpers keep it from feeling like a real machine. Even so, It's still fun and I expect to play it quite a bit.

• Like 1

I forgot to include a photo, which doesn't show the cool flashing lights in the backboard. I've been playing this off and on all day, and it's definitely fun. I still wish the bumpers were active, though.

You can just see the line where the folding backboard rubs against the playfield cover. If you buy one, insist that something like bubble wrap be placed between the backboard and the playfield acrylic top.

post-20305-0-41802400-1364864739_thumb.jpg

Edited by akator
  • Like 1

Hey akator, that's pretty neat, I'm glad you're enjoying your pins. I'm really curious about the sound effects, the Star Wars pin I own is different to yours and only has generic sounds. Always keep an eye out for better ones, because it seems even these toy ones never go down in value too much and you can usually sell them for what you paid when it's time to make room for something bigger. I'm not sure of the name of the company who originally made the design for your Darth Vader pin, but they also made a larger scale machine with more features on the playfield (although I have never seen a larger Star Wars or Darth Vader themed one in this style).

For example, this machine and the playfield is the same as yours except for the artwork and backboard (and possibly sound effects):

StarGalaxySmall.jpg

And this is the larger model. It has a spinning bumper which smashes the ball into the spring bumpers and around the playfield, adding a bit more action to the game, inlanes and outlanes, a better ramp system with a skill shot and more targets to hit. My Batman pinball is the same as this machine:

StarGalaxyMedium.jpg

Although I haven't played the smaller version, and I'd probably still get the Darth Vader one because I'm a big Star Wars fan, it doesn't really look like much fun to play in comparison with the slightly larger machines. I have had some smaller, simpler pins in the past and once I got the larger ones, those smaller ones barely got played by anyone again.

• Like 1

Because of this thread, I ordered a Tomy Atomic Pinball. I received it in the mail today, and MAN this thing is bigger than I thought it would be. The non-powered flippers actually work a lot better than I thought they would, too.

The problem is--my unit doesn't work. One of the battery terminals snapped off, so it can't get power. The ironic part is my dumb-ass hit the "Buy It Now" button before reading the description, where it actually stated it was being sold as non-working or for parts. Ugh.. I need to get better about reading before buying.

Anyway, here it is:

post-24675-0-11207300-1365148895_thumb.jpg

I hope to eventually get an American Pinball, or one of the Astro ones (same thing basically). They look like they have more to shoot for and will hold my interest longer. Still, the Atomic Pinball at least has the left and right lanes to shoot for, so it's not just about throwing the ball into the pop bumpers endlessly. At least not directly anyway. :lol:

• Like 2

I ended up with the Hulk toy pinball Cammy pointed out earlier. It's definitely fun to play and the spinner makes things perkier than the smaller Darth Vader model. My only disappointment is there are only 6 lights in the middle of the playfield that flash on and off but otherwise mean nothing for score or bonus. No lit ramp, bumpers, backboard, or anything else. I like it, but I really expected more lights instead of fewer than the Darth Vader. Gimme more lights, dammit :D

• Like 1

Well, I picked up my Pirates Zizzle! It's actually bigger than I thought it would be, and I can actually play it standing up without getting cramped too badly, haha.

It looks like it's the 2006 model (bummer!), but it's still pretty fun. The shots are tough to make, but with practice I can see being consistent with this thing. Well, as consistent as it lets you, anyway. The flipper buttons are extremely cheap and have a "click"-like feel (and not in a good "arcade microswitch" kind of way). It's definitely hard to adjust to after playing real pinball, and sometimes the buttons do not register correctly.

I'm not sure if my unit is working correctly though. I noticed the slingshots sometimes go back and forth on their own. I don't know if that's a sign of a faulty game, or if that's a part of the game. Also, I don't think the tilt works (at least, it advertises it can tilt). I'm not complaining too much with that though--this game drains a lot (huge center drain, and the ball constantly bounces out the left and right outlanes), so with little to no tilt functionality, I'm able to death-save it 95% of the time when it goes out the right lane, and I never have center drains because of how far I can move the machine, hehe. The left drain can still be problematic though.

Lastly, when I first plugged it in it wouldn't power on. I fiddled with the A/C cable and the jack on the back of the unit, and it seems that is finicky. I have to put some upwards force on the cord in order for it to register there being power (right now I have the A/C brick hanging up and over the backbox so it works constantly).

Here's a picture of it. The total price? A whopping $40! I think it was worth it--there's actually stuff to do on this game, and some real pinball techniques work (drop catching, post transfering, etc), which make it a lot more interesting than I expected it to be. I just wish there were more lights on this thing.. I wonder if there's a way to jerry-rig some up? Haha. I have some spare LEDs from my Rolling Stones pinball light upgrade kit.. Hmmm.. :P

post-24675-0-46058900-1365790978_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I did something different than usual and did a gameplay video of the Zizzle pinball. I try to explain the game to the best of my ability.

http://youtu.be/SROP6zuexlY

The thing I dislike the most about it is how easily it is to go off-balance. Part of this is due to the legs caving in when I move it around. But when it is balanced, it plays pretty well (for instance, the right ramp I had a problem shooting in the video, I can nail with ease when it's balanced).

• Like 1