IGNORED

Lynx to VGA

candle

For people who don't want to open their Lynxes themselves I am sure some chaps from the community will offer their service for shipping costs and a few bucks. :)

That sounds great on the surface there,but how few bucks in these unsure and tight times in the world?My precise point with Atari dealers or Atari enthusiasts.Also,shipping for most things in my country are a killer issue,FAR WORSE if you're dealing with overseas shipping in my country and the customs issues that come with it. ;) I've heard the stories from those that have had to do it and pass the cost on for a customer.Not pretty in these times of business.If you're in business like me and others I know out there,you know about it. ;) I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything on this,just giving facts that we're going to probably be dealing with on this. Edited by chris_lynx1989

Well, the board has to be shipped to you from overseas once; that can't be helped.

As for doing the upgrade, I am sure there are US Lynx fans willing to help out. Shipping within the US can't be that expensive...

And what's the point wondering about all that now? We will see a price when it's done, even if some players find it too expensive I believe there are enough Lynx enthusiasts in Europe alone to sell well. It can't be cheaper, as candle said the stripped down version would just be a few dollars cheaper and it's not worth the effort of having that manufactured.

There are always people who cannot afford something for some reason; I know that, I worked for 4 years earning only about 1,50 dollars an hour. Those may get another chance later on. .)

• Like 2

Well, the board has to be shipped to you from overseas once; that can't be helped.

As for doing the upgrade, I am sure there are US Lynx fans willing to help out. Shipping within the US can't be that expensive...

And what's the point wondering about all that now? We will see a price when it's done, even if some players find it too expensive I believe there are enough Lynx enthusiasts in Europe alone to sell well. It can't be cheaper, as candle said the stripped down version would just be a few dollars cheaper and it's not worth the effort of having that manufactured.

There are always people who cannot afford something for some reason; I know that, I worked for 4 years earning only about 1,50 dollars an hour. Those may get another chance later on. .)

I agree now that it is sort of a moot point and all,I was just raised to make plans for any contingency on most things to avoid problems and disappointment in the future."Poor planning provides poor performance" and all,you know?Maybe that's silly to some that live by the seat of their pants out there that I see in my country and are losing their ass now in this economy on a daily basis. ;) Just the truth. :) That doesn't speak for everyone though. Edited by chris_lynx1989

Really??

Wow.LOL

Yes. What is your point with all of this talk of how most Lynx owners are incapable of doing this upgrade? If you're trying to offer your services to perform this upgrade then just say so. Or start another thread. Otherwise, what's the point? What are you getting at?

I think enough of us here have expressed interest in this project to make this worth candle's time and efforts to follow it through. So far, nobody has bemoaned the fact that this upgrade requires disassembling the Lynx and performing some minor surgery. You're making an issue out of nothing.

• Like 4

I can also help with the upgrade. The cost would include return shipping plus a few dollars for my time to install the board and test it. A little more extra if you need me to cut a hole for external video port. But it is still early, the prototypes haven't been shipped yet and there may be a need to fix bugs that wasn't discovered yet plus the matter of wrong sized mounting holes.

Is this an insult?

In no such way,my good man.I just see it all around me in my hometown and country on a daily basis.And most don't seem to understand why they are going bankrupt or losing their car or house now.I'm 49 now and still afloat like a few others I know.Why?By being careful. ;) Contingency planning for the future. :)

toolset required to fit this upgrade is:

1) screwdriver

end of list

okay, i'm a bit streching here

truth is, you need two screwdrivers - philips size 2 and philips size 1...

You forgot one more. If you have short finger nails (or by bad luck all of the fingers are bandaged), you'd need a thin flat screwdriver to pop the ribbon cable fastener open to remove the LCD cable. A guitar pick would work here.

I whipped up the disassembly guide for future reference: http://atariage.com/...assembly-guide/

Thank you.

I'm sure that will help others that haven't asked about it here before,like so many that did last year.Still taking a Lynx unit apart for stuff can be a pain,you just have to be patient and careful with all the screws at times. ;)

Speaking as someone who has purchased a couple of Sebastian's creations for the Atari 8-bit computer over the years, his work is top notch, prices are reasonable (maybe too low for the effort he puts in?!?), shipping is reasonable and he always delivers on pre-orders. You may have to be patient, that is the only caution I would throw out there for those who aren't familiar with the way these pre-order projects work.

It sounds like this upgrade is really going to be plug and play too, which is an added bonus.

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious to see how this will affect battery life. I always run my Lynx from either a wall adapter or the D-cell pack. The last time my Lynx saw AAs was in 1991. If this LCD upgrade helps boost battery life that would be fantastic. I may even start using AAs again!

There are some power usage figures in the Lynx FAQ:

Harry Dodgson (hdodgson@ford.com) shows Classic using 343 mA, versus 296 mA for the Lynx II. Also, about two-thirds of the Lynx power use is for the backlight screen alone, as using the Lynx II with the backlight off used only 97 mA.

So even figuring very conservatively a doubling of battery run times should be realistic.

LED draw 20mA @ 20V at full brightness

we have 5V to start with, so making 20mA 20V means we need to draw 100mA from 5V supply, add to this effeciency of converter so this is not so effective all in all

the only advangtage you get when you put the brightness wheel a bit down

currently, lynx with module runs at the same current as with original screen

Hell, I wouldn't care if it drew slightly more current than original and shaved an hour off battery life. I just want to play my lynx games on a more modern LCD ;-) The original screen was fun for a little nostalgia but wow.... my eyes are not as forgiving as they were when I was 8.

Can't wait to see these go up for sale. I would rather have a Lynx with a decent LCD than a Nintendo DS any day. People whined about the Lynx library but there really was quite a few good games.... Lemmings, Rampart, Warbirds, Xenophobe, etc.

Hell, I wouldn't care if it drew slightly more current than original and shaved an hour off battery life.

Why don´t you mod a NAKI powerpack? It´s still available on ebay, and NiCads are incredibly cheap nowadays. I get roughly 7 hours out of my modded 2400 mAh pack.

Frankly I don´t care about the power draw - I always have an ac adaptor as a backup lying around.

Edited by woolfman

Why don´t you mod a NAKI powerpack? It´s still available on ebay, and NiCads are incredibly cheap nowadays. I get roughly 7 hours out of my modded 2400 mAh pack.

Not a bad idea.... I actually thought about building an internal rechargable LiPo pack as the cells are pretty cheap now and stuffing it in the battery compartment with a jack for a charger. I have an adjustable regulator on a small PCB laying around to drop voltage from 3 LiPo cells down to 9V.

Frankly I don´t care about the power draw - I always have an ac adaptor as a backup lying around.

I don't have an original AC adapter but I grabbed a universal adapter from Radio Shack with an appropriate connector. Lighter and less scary than the original.

The 9V *AC* adapters are an exception for me, replacements are tougher to find but modern DC power supplies usually don't take your equipment out when they fail.

Now we are way off-topic so I'll stop here ;-)

Edited by kogden

I got a Playstation power pak by Hip Gear, it was originally designed for PSOne but with a cable adapter it can be used to run most other things. The battery pack uses a very heavy SLA (sealed lead acid) battery compared to the more common ni-cad of the day.

Or try the newest batteries, the lipo (lithium polymer) it's being used in many of the modern devices and has a lot of watt-hours for the size compared to older rechargeable batteries.