IGNORED

Potential new hardware

foft

Hi Foft!

At first I want to thank You for all great work that You do with this project! This is awesome!

Now I have one question :) I have the Altera DE2 board ( http://www.altera.com/education/univ/materials/boards/de2/unv-de2-board.html )

It is possible to "recompile" Your project to work with this board? I'm curious that I can use this hardware (DE2) or must buy the DE1 version or wait for the final product? :)

with greetings

Sebastian

@Sebastian: The DE2 is a suitable board and very similar to the DE1. It will need to be 'compiled' for the DE2. There are also some small hardware changes. I will need a DE2 to test. Would you lend me your one? Alternatively if you know some vhdl you can port it - if I send you the hdl.

I did tried to type exactly :

5 POKE 559,66

10 FOR I=0 TO 500

20 POKE 40000+I,128

30 NEXT I

40 GOTO 40

on Altirra emulator and it does not work, all I see is black screen output when I type "run".

Yes, I did enabled VBXE optional in Altirra and still not working.

Altirra doesn't (yet) emulate this hardware, and it has nothing to do with VBXE.

That would be neat! Anyone in Europe want to sell (or donate) me an Atari 800 then? :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Maybe a Multi Classic Computer port would be a better first step. No board design required.

There are already C64, Amiga, Spectrum, Atari 2600 and Apple II cores for it.

http://www.mcc-home.com/index.html

Maybe a Multi Classic Computer port would be a better first step. No board design required.

There are already C64, Amiga, Spectrum, Atari 2600 and Apple II cores for it.

http://www.mcc-home.com/index.html

Interesting. I hadn't come across that one! I've dropped them an email - will see if they are interested in porting or if they want to send me dev hardware/specs.

Only thing is my monitor doesn't have an s-video input!

Interesting. I hadn't come across that one! I've dropped them an email - will see if they are interested in porting or if they want to send me dev hardware/specs.

Only thing is my monitor doesn't have an s-video input!

They used to have a version with a VGA connector instead of S-Video but I don't see it listed at the moment.

They used to have a version with a VGA connector instead of S-Video but I don't see it listed at the moment.

I just looked at the store and they list 2 VGA models.

http://s318412817.e-shop.info/shop/category_8/MCC-216-VGA.html?sessid=hzkGVBaBADHaDBE8lNBjX4Rrw4Y9YLxhSNvUkxyufUPMuQwgTUcQDtlWYZi9WaD2&shop_param=cid%3D%26

An alternative to be able to use s-video is to get a device like the DVDO iScan Plus, eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2613172039251?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=261317203925&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER], which converts composite/s-video to VGA compatible. The iScan Pro is a slighly upscale model which replaces 1 s-video input with a component input, and also has adjustments for brightness/contrast/saturation/hue/sharpness.

Stay AWAY from the MCC-216. FAR away.

These guys have been taking core source codes without persmision (Minimig, FPGA64) and closed them.

There are no sources for the core it runs, and developers abandoned the board after being abused by the creators (just ask the original Apple II core developer..).

They sell it as Amiga-compatible, for example, but their Minimig illegal port (Minimig is GPL yet they haven't released the code of their port, even *going as far as to deny they were using Minimig sources* until we got them sorrounded in Amiga.org forums) only runs about 20% of the software after 3 years since they released the board and core.

Hadware is cheesy, too. I got one and my power button and power supply broke after a few days.

Or go on and port to that dreaded board.. but I gave you my word of warning.

I'd go for the FPGAARCADE instead. (But I know you're going for it anyway!)

Edited by vanfanel

Thanks for the MCC warning.

Regarding Replay... Mike seemed enthusiastic and told me he'd send me one next week. Almost 2 months ago. I have svn access but am making no commits until I get hardware. I think he is just swamped rather than being unhelpful. Still it's frustrating since I should have time to port in November.

I have the FPGA Arcade board since 2011, waiting for the new, stable firmware and those promised cores.

But I don't mind waiting in this case: Mike is always busy with paid work, yet he will eventually release the board and the cores. And it's an open development scheme, too. It will happen, I'm sure :)

He should start volume production, however. People are wanting these boards badly...

Edited by vanfanel

Could someone explain how to add the basic and OS ROM to the DE1? I was able to flash the sof file but don't see any way to flash the ROMs.

I couldn't get the DE1 ControlPanel to work so I used de1flash 1.1: ftp://ftp.zytor.com/pub/fpga/de1flash/

First upload the de1flash sof, either with the Quartus GUI, or from the command line:

quartus_pgm -m jtag -o "p;de1flash.sof"

Then flash the ROMs:

quartus_stp -t de1flash.tcl write atariroms3.bin@0x0000

so long,

Hias

Edited by HiassofT

Got it flashed but I only see a blank screen (black). One time I think I heard test tones while I was messing around pressing keys on the keyboard. I went back tried some of the earlier sof files 20130813 and 22 and I got a screen after pressing key2 many times. But the screen was full of garbage.

post-22122-0-40869200-1383611441_thumb.jpg

I ran out of time and couldn't edit the above post.

The pic in above post #172 is of the latest sof file. With switches sw9, 8, 4, and 1 up and pressing reset many time that is the pic of my screen.

Almost always a black screen or frozen w garbage.

Hi!

I ran out of time and couldn't edit the above post.
The pic in above post #172 is of the latest sof file. With switches sw9, 8, 4, and 1 up and pressing reset many time that is the pic of my screen.
Almost always a black screen or frozen w garbage.

Be sure to set sw7 to up, especially if you have a new DE1 board and enable Turbo Mode (sw9).

The newer boards use slower flash chips. Using 2 waitstates (sw7 down) worked on my board with turbo mode off, but if I enabled turbo mode I'd also get crashes, black screens and lockups unless I set sw7 up.

Try with a "safe" default setup: sw7 up, sw8/4 according to your desired video config, all other switches down.

so long,

Hias

Hi!

Be sure to set sw7 to up, especially if you have a new DE1 board and enable Turbo Mode (sw9).

The newer boards use slower flash chips. Using 2 waitstates (sw7 down) worked on my board with turbo mode off, but if I enabled turbo mode I'd also get crashes, black screens and lockups unless I set sw7 up.

Try with a "safe" default setup: sw7 up, sw8/4 according to your desired video config, all other switches down.

so long,

Hias

Thanks for the reply. It helped a little, now I can see something on the screen without doing so many resets. But it's still garbage, black, or green frozen screen.

post-22122-0-24586100-1383653652_thumb.jpg