IGNORED

7800 Development

kamakazi

There's a slightly later version of it on this page. I did not due a compare to see what changed however.
I'd say its a different document entirely ;).

The front matter is certainly different between the March 84 and the October 84 documents, but there's a lot of common stuff. However, I haven't looked hard enough to confirm that everything in the March 84 document is in the October 84 document.

Huh, it looks like there was a planned 68K bus version. For arcade games maybe?

• 2 months later...

Hi all....I apologize if this was mentioned somewhere, but I didn't see it. Does anyone else experience the inability to access any of the links posted by kamakazi that are pointing to pages on atari7800.net? I can't get to any of them.

Ahh, hang on, I just saw where kamakazi edited his post to mention the broken links and re-linked to 'Whimsey'.

Anyway, thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. I'm having a ball reading Mark Chasin's book!

I'm having a ball reading Mark Chasin's book!

I'm not familiar with that book but the A8 video and sprite system is nothing like the 7800s. Other than teaching you about 6502 assembler and POKEY (if it covers that) you might find it hard adapting any examples to the way the 7800 does things.

I'm having a ball reading Mark Chasin's book!

I'm not familiar with that book but the A8 video and sprite system is nothing like the 7800s. Other than teaching you about 6502 assembler and POKEY (if it covers that) you might find it hard adapting any examples to the way the 7800 does things.

I thought it would be a good place to learn assembly for the 7800.

I thought it would be a good place to learn assembly for the 7800.

The A8 emulators are much more developer friendly than the ones for the 7800. So learning the ropes on the A8 is probably a good way to go. You might also consider setting your own goals and mini projects too. Then you have more reasons to stick at it because you personally want something out of the learning experience.

Well, a "hello world" is a good place to start and if I could get that far I'd prolly be able to do something with the 78. but I come from the Apple world and the 78 is a loooooooooooot more complex.

Have you found the character/indirect mode and sprite demo by PacManPlus in the programmers forum?

Well, a "hello world" is a good place to start and if I could get that far I'd prolly be able to do something with the 78. but I come from the Apple world and the 78 is a loooooooooooot more complex.

Have you found the character/indirect mode and sprite demo by PacManPlus in the programmers forum?

You mean this - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/129192-ok-here-it-is-dl-dll-template/

?

You mean this - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/129192-ok-here-it-is-dl-dll-template/

?

If so examples like this are great - not too much code and assuming you can assemble and run it..well now you can try tweaking it to modify its behaviour. Great way to learn 7800 I hope :-)

Yep! That's it!

I might've. Not sure it was anything like I was trying to do though. :/

OK. How about starting a new thread and explaining what you need help with and what you've done so far.

I had one. I think I just drowned in the information because all the stuff out there assumes I'm using the system to make *games*, when I'm trying to turn the Maria into, more or less, a 6845... a 40x25 text display... and everything is more complicated.

I had one. I think I just drowned in the information because all the stuff out there assumes I'm using the system to make *games*, when I'm trying to turn the Maria into, more or less, a 6845... a 40x25 text display... and everything is more complicated.

OK. Post the code you've got so far and your font as a bitmap and we'll take it from there.

OK. Post the code you've got so far and your font as a bitmap and we'll take it from there.

I don't have any usable code because I got drowned in the details just trying to do hello world and get it to boot (flash the fuji). :<

I did paste the font in the other thread, though - it was this

ataromfnt.png

- I can try to create a raw bmp or something, I actually keep it stored in 6845 format which is the native format of my PC code.

• 3 years later...

Hi All,

It's been such a long time since I thought about developing for the 7800 due to life challenges I was facing when I made my original post. I have since been to college, graduated (although I still "owe" the for-profit institution I attended so no degree yet), and started learning assembly on the 2600. I realize that most of the links in my first post are dead. I will try to correct those links somehow, someday. I'm surprised to see this thread still pinned and that some members have been posting in it. Although it does seem that it has been a while since someone posted anything it is still here and intact.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

It's been such a long time since I thought about developing for the 7800 due to life challenges I was facing when I made my original post. I have since been to college, graduated (although I still "owe" the for-profit institution I attended so no degree yet), and started learning assembly on the 2600. I realize that most of the links in my first post are dead. I will try to correct those links somehow, someday. I'm surprised to see this thread still pinned and that some members have been posting in it. Although it does seem that it has been a while since someone posted anything it is still here and intact.

Hey, if you do update it, you'd be doing at least this guy a favor. I started doing that myself, unsure if it was ever going to be done, and just came here to see if there was interest. Programming is a hobby, but having never touched Assembly, I was looking forward to finally digging through all those links. Glad to know that someone more knowledgeable than I about this will be updating it. You have my gratitude!

• 4 weeks later...

So I've spent a few hours poking around with this, and I wrote a script up to a moving sprite similar to simple, and using adventurer as a reference I tried to make the sprite rotate, but it no longer compiles, and without a v7800b program, I can't seem to find the error myself. Can someone help me along?

metalgear.bas

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Are the documents in this thread still current? Looks like atari7800.net no longer exists and as such the links are broken. The link to the 7800 Software Guide is still intact. I have a couple of Atari/6502 programming books I obtained 10 years ago when I dabbled in Atari 2600 assembly. I just wanted to take a look into what's required to actually write a game for the 7800. (no promises, though ;-)

Are the documents in this thread still current? Looks like atari7800.net no longer exists and as such the links are broken. The link to the 7800 Software Guide is still intact. I have a couple of Atari/6502 programming books I obtained 10 years ago when I dabbled in Atari 2600 assembly. I just wanted to take a look into what's required to actually write a game for the 7800. (no promises, though ;-)

7800basic with Programming Guide:

This will assist and an excellent way to get started, if not completely accomplishing, developing a game. :)

Original Game Library Source Code:

There is source code to several commercial titles here.

Old Tech Docs:

Original tech docs found on atari7800.net here.

Updated Hardware Tech:

See this link for verified references and accurate details regarding the console.

7800 Software Guide Revised:

The current and more precise document is here.

• Like 4

• 3 years later...

Looks like this thread has been quite for a few years :)

Anyway just found my

Atari 7800 Development system with RAM Card
and Mega 4 that includes the EPROM BURNER
This unit was used to create the QB game if I remember
correctly.

Anyway if anyone is interested LET's talk. Pictures of
all the items along with the original documentation from
ATARI will be available soon, Just need to hook everything
back up and take some pictures. When put away it was working
perfectly but will need to re-test
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like to do a bowling type game using 7800 Basic. What would be the best angle to use that will fit the 7800 screen? Will it look good with a side view like the 2600 Bowling, or go with a top-down view. I am not sure how to do a 3D view, making the ball shrink and computing the screen positions. I have to keep it simple with something 2-Dimensional. I do not think that scrolling be good ideal, you need to see the bowler are pins throwing the ball down the lane. Anybody have any suggestion?