IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

I know the TRU pictures aren't final, but has anyone noticed that it doesn't look like you could use an overlay with the controllers? Maybe it's just angle or something, but doesn't look like you could slide an overlay over the numbers.

I need your car, it is only half a tank of gas for me :)

I did play burgertime a lot on intellivision. I think I like the colecovision one better just because it had more levels to play.

So now the question is, will Data East's Burgertime by Coleco be on AtGames' Colecovision Flashback?

Despite my disappointment in no Turbo, I'll definitely be buying it along with their Intellivision Flashback and Atari Flashback 5 at Dollar General!

:cool:

No Burgertime on either one and the included overlays will work with the included controllers and originals, and vice-versa.

I always found the ColecoVision version to have nicer visuals and more variety than the Intellivision version, but the Intellivision version didn't flicker and I think I liked it just a bit more overall. Both versions were made by the same French studio.

• Like 1

No Burgertime on either one and the included overlays will work with the included controllers and originals, and vice-versa.

Hey Bill, how about the Atari Flashback 5 game lineup, any info that can be leaked there?

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO

Are they going to release the final 60 games included and the extra one in the dollar store for both systems before the supposed october release at toys r us?

That is the key, if I don't care about the extra games that they are adding then I can just add myself to the preorder at toys r us.

Are they going to release the final 60 games included and the extra one in the dollar store for both systems before the supposed october release at toys r us?

That is the key, if I don't care about the extra games that they are adding then I can just add myself to the preorder at toys r us.

I'll ask again soon. They're not ready yet to reveal the lists in full. Let's wait a week or two and if there's no firm date when the full lists will be revealed, I'll ask about specifically revealing the bonus game.

I'll ask again soon. They're not ready yet to reveal the lists in full. Let's wait a week or two and if there's no firm date when the full lists will be revealed, I'll ask about specifically revealing the bonus game.

Thanks for the help on this again, Bill. As I said earlier, I'm anxious to find out what that 'bonus game' on the DG only unit is, so I know what to do with my pre-order with Toys R Us.

I thought we discussed this earlier (it could have been in the Intellivision Flashback thread), but don't read too much into the boxes that Toys R Us shows. Technically, they weren't even supposed to post anything yet, and, since none of the box art was/is officially signed off on, they've only been posting various stages of mock-ups. What's pictured on these is mostly true, but keep in mind that there were some changes to the game line-up and other things that should make the final boxes different (including the fact that the console itself doesn't look like the actual ColecoVision on the front of the box, only reminiscent of it).

For what it's worth, the games indicated on the front of the box all made the final cut.

Funny, I was browsing Toys R Us the other day. I would like to know which version of the Atari flashback 5 I'm getting: The version that includes Space Invaders, or Centipede? The "Space Invaders" version appears to have 8 extra games. I dunno, but if someone gets the Centipede version with fewer games, that could be a real deal breaker! ;)

The preview box shot image doesn't match the full resolution version! :P

post-33189-0-36794100-1404078708_thumb.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever

They're just experimenting with different art. Both those games (Centipede and Space Invaders) in one form or another will be on there. Since the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks both have bonus versions with one extra game, I suspect the Atari Flashback 5 will have something similar. If I'm told more, I'll share the info.

Since the Intellivision and ColecoVision Flashbacks both have bonus versions with one extra game,

This ploy by AtGames is very disappointing. Why don't they just do the consumer a favor already and make one release with ALL (60 + 1) the games on it? Oh yeah, because with a variation of the CVF that includes :-o ONE :-o extra game, they will have numerous people buying both versions.

If the extra game isn't the infamous "Masters of the Universe", I'll be very disappointed! :grin:

• Like 1

This ploy by AtGames is very disappointing. Why don't they just do the consumer a favor already and make one release with ALL (60 + 1) the games on it? Oh yeah, because with a variation of the CVF that includes :-o ONE :-o extra game, they will have numerous people buying both versions.

If the extra game isn't the infamous "Masters of the Universe", I'll be very disappointed! :grin:

The weird thing is Masters of the Universe will be on the colecovision but will not be included on the intellivision. ;)

• Like 3

While we can be frustrated individually that our particular favorite game or two is not on these, it's not like AtGames is doing it intentionally. If it were practical to license or work a deal out for certain games, they would have done it. As for the one bonus game editions, that's just good business. Some retailers prefer to pay extra (likely in volume) to have a small differentiator I guess. It would be silly not to take them up on it. As for a significant number of people buying both versions, I highly doubt that it makes any difference in sales. I suspect the only benefit is a bigger purchase order from the retailer with the exclusive. The number of completists out there who absolutely need both probably numbers in the dozens at the most optimistic estimate, especially since the casual consumer this is targeted to won't know the difference anyway.

• Like 1

Masters of the Universe Colecovision? Was that a homebrew?

It is a fully functioning game that never made it to production due to the crash.

The Intellivision Lives guys have it because they are the ones that originally created it and keep trying to get mattel to let them produce it. Most likely that will never happen and since they want to be able to make money off it they will never release it for free.

• Like 1

It is a fully functioning game that never made it to production due to the crash.

The Intellivision Lives guys have it because they are the ones that originally created it and keep trying to get mattel to let them produce it. Most likely that will never happen and since they want to be able to make money off it they will never release it for free.

I remember seeing that in the old EG magazine and always wished for it. Just like Tunnels & Trolls in the Coleco catalog. :P

• Like 1

I don't mind the bonus game, I just wish they wouldn't hold back a great game for it. It's not like Dollar General is going to know the difference between holding Millipede back from the general release or Hang-Man on a Atari Flashback.

Instead, they're picking one of the top games each time to keep exclusive. When these things, after a cursory look by the buyer, probably only have perhaps a dozen games that hold the customer's attention that they'll be returning for, it's a rather unfortunate situation.

But at least Dollar General is common around here. I've never seen a store for the chain that had the Atari Flashback exclusive with Millipede.

Ugh, no BurgerTime? It's one of the best games on both systems.

Same with Bump 'n' Jump (Which also has a wonderful 2600 version owned by Intellivision Productions that would be perfect on the Atari Flashback 5).

Not going after these 1st party Intellivision/Colecovision Data East ports is disappointing. Particularly since licensing opportunities are available and the owner of this IP specializes in licensing classic gaming properties and bought it specifically for that purpose. Heck, even that Colecovision Kickstarter that failed already had one of these secured for the project.

Hopefully AtGames commissions another round in the future and finds a way to make this work out within their budget. Especially since they could potentially kill 3 birds with 1 stone with the right deal here since these properties appeared on all three consoles that they're releasing products based on (with the ports that were developed and published back then owned by IP holders that they're already involved with today like Intellivision Productions).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Can't tell the tone of your second comment about the Intellivoice, but several of the voice games are definitely on the Intellivision Flashback...

Tone? There was nothing special in terms of tone, I just haven't kept up with the Intellivision Flashback, so the Intellivoice thing was actually news to me. :)