IGNORED

ColecoVision Flashback System

Mr. Do was still being actively exploited... I've got a licensed Mr. Do cart for the Super Nintendo from 1995(ish) that plays nicely, and it was released in the Wii Virtual Console in Japan in 2010. It looks like the company is still around, see http://www.universal-777.com/en/.

While I do enjoy Mr. Do! on the ColecoVision, (as mentioned in my previous post) ColecoVision contains the best console port of Mr. Do's Castle to date. Mr. Do! has indeed seen many other ports, including the (very) close to arcade accurate SNES version; however, Mr. Do's Castle seems to have fallen through the cracks as the years rolled on. It would have been great to see that on the Flashback unit, even if Mr. Do! couldn't have been secured. However, it makes sense that it's likely either both or neither scenario...oh, well :(

Mr. Do was still being actively exploited... I've got a licensed Mr. Do cart for the Super Nintendo from 1995(ish) that plays nicely, and it was released in the Wii Virtual Console in Japan in 2010. It looks like the company is still around, see http://www.universal-777.com/en/.

That was nearly 20 years ago. Video game licenses change hands in less time. Also it is very likely the game properties may have been retained in Japan but sold elsewhere. Atari Flashback 2 had two Activision games on it. Flashback 2+ did not. There was about 2 years time span between them. If your wondering why it's because the properties changed hands. Also I believe there is a COD game for the Xbox 360 where they discovered 4 Atari games built in as an Easter Egg. Made by Activision of course...

Edited by stardust4ever

River Raid and Pitfall certainly didn't change hands. They're not there because Atari didn't license them again from Activision. It's as simple as that.

Neat Easter Egg though. Surprised I'm just learning about that for the first time since this is, after all, AtariAge.

Edited by Atariboy

It was announced on twitter that they're releasing the Coleco mini arcades after the flashback systems. They didn't say but I presume no Nintendo versions.

I'd love to know who Riverwest is getting to do the manufacturing, i.e., who they're licensing the original designs to. I'm not aware of a company that makes anything similar, so it will be quite interesting to see who has stepped up as a partner.

I'd love to know who Riverwest is getting to do the manufacturing, i.e., who they're licensing the original designs to. I'm not aware of a company that makes anything similar, so it will be quite interesting to see who has stepped up as a partner.

I actually designed Coleco tabletop versions of Venture and Gorf. It would be beyond cool if they were to do them as real tabletops. I'd be willing to share my designs for free with whoever is making these new tabletops just to see it happen. I would also help them make the tabletop vaporwares of Berzerk and Omega Race if I could! :D

Below are some screenshots of ColecoVision-based simulated versions of my Venture and Gorf tabletop creations. Venture's screen display is a little large horizontally so a plastic casing similar to the one used for the Zaxxon tabletop would probably be required. :)

post-7743-0-11156000-1407345617_thumb.png

• Like 5

I actually designed Coleco tabletop versions of Venture and Gorf. It would be beyond cool if they were to do them as real tabletops. I'd be willing to share my designs for free with whoever is making these new tabletops just to see it happen. I would also help them make the tabletop vaporwares of Berzerk and Omega Race if I could! :D

Below are some screenshots of ColecoVision-based simulated versions of my Venture and Gorf tabletop creations. Venture's screen display is a little large horizontally so a plastic casing similar to the one used for the Zaxxon tabletop would probably be required. :)

Don't bury the lead here... ;-) Are you saying that you have playable tabletop simulations on the ColecoVision? If so, are you planning an eventual compilation release?

Sorry if this is considered heresy, but wouldn't it be nice if there were a single mini arcade cabinet that could play multiple games, perhaps via SD card or multi-select menu? The originals were smaller than full cabinets, but were nonetheless pretty bulky as single-purpose machines.

I think this would be possible, though not in its original form, i.e., the same screen type, simply because you wouldn't be able to layer the screen elements for more than one game. I'm thinking something like a small LCD screen and simple Android emulation (simulation) that more or less properly replicated the experience might achieve what you're requesting. Of course, I suppose if you go to that step, why not just make a tabletop device with those internals that plays multiple systems? I do see your point, though.

Based on my discussions with those in the know for these types of things, retailers won't really dedicate shelf space to add-ons or accessories of any type, so you pretty much have to sell these things as one-offs, meaning it doesn't make sense to produce a unit capable of expansion via cartridge or some other means. You pretty much have to sell individual units as it applies to the tabletops.

Sorry if this is considered heresy, but wouldn't it be nice if there were a single mini arcade cabinet that could play multiple games, perhaps via SD card or multi-select menu? The originals were smaller than full cabinets, but were nonetheless pretty bulky as single-purpose machines.

There was, the iCade!

There was, the iCade!

True enough! And it will be hard to top that IMHO. By the way, there's a music store selling icade Core sets (just a stand and a controller, no bulky cabinet) for less than $16 shipped, brand new. I got one of these and they're great with Gridlee/MAME as well as Vectrex, the Activision set, the Atari set, etc.

True enough! And it will be hard to top that IMHO. By the way, there's a music store selling icade Core sets (just a stand and a controller, no bulky cabinet) for less than $16 shipped, brand new. I got one of these and they're great with Gridlee/MAME as well as Vectrex, the Activision set, the Atari set, etc.

They are great controllers, I had one briefly, but the Core will not work with anything except iOS.

Don't bury the lead here... ;-) Are you saying that you have playable tabletop simulations on the ColecoVision? If so, are you planning an eventual compilation release?

No, so far I just designed the graphics, and the general mechanics that go along with them. Sorry to get your hopes up. :P

Yep, now there's an iPhone/iPad app that AtGames could do: Coleco tabletop simulators! It would indeed be cool to play this on the iCade! :D

• Like 1

....still hoping the controllers are good!

Bill, have you confirmed that they won't work on an original system? Sorry cant remember if you answered that or not...I could have sworn you said they would not

I just don't know until I get my hands on them, and I can't trust my executive contacts to be able to get to the bottom of it. Based on the technical findings with the Intellivision Flashback, I'm not hopeful. Also based on those technical findings, it's quite possible a simple adapter might also fix any issues. I'll have very specific dates I'll get my units and then very specific dates when I can release the "reviews," but I'll try to remember to post my findings regarding the controllers as soon as I can test them. Again, we should all be working under the assumption that like with the Intellivision Flashback that there was an internal miscommunication and the controllers will not be directly compatible.

I just don't know until I get my hands on them, and I can't trust my executive contacts to be able to get to the bottom of it. Based on the technical findings with the Intellivision Flashback, I'm not hopeful. Also based on those technical findings, it's quite possible a simple adapter might also fix any issues. I'll have very specific dates I'll get my units and then very specific dates when I can release the "reviews," but I'll try to remember to post my findings regarding the controllers as soon as I can test them. Again, we should all be working under the assumption that like with the Intellivision Flashback that there was an internal miscommunication and the controllers will not be directly compatible.

Thanks, it would be nice but if not then at least I'm hoping they are good enough to control tight games like Miner 2049er etc. Also hoping the cords are longer than normal.

Yep, now there's an iPhone/iPad app that AtGames could do: Coleco tabletop simulators! It would indeed be cool to play this on the iCade! :D

Well, the good news is that as previously stated they are indeed working on a full suite of mobile and PC-based emulators. The "bad" news is that none of that involves simulating LCD stuff. I wonder myself if there is a suitable market for such a thing. That's probably a niche of a niche at this point, and, as cool as they are and it is to simulate, the games are necessarily very simple. It's a tough thing to put development dollars towards.

• Like 1

Well, the good news is that as previously stated they are indeed working on a full suite of mobile and PC-based emulators. The "bad" news is that none of that involves simulating LCD stuff. I wonder myself if there is a suitable market for such a thing. That's probably a niche of a niche at this point, and, as cool as they are and it is to simulate, the games are necessarily very simple. It's a tough thing to put development dollars towards.

Have you ever played these tabletops before, when you were a kid? The rationale for doing tabletop simulators on the iPhone or iPad is the same as for the Flashback consoles: It's an impulse purchase based on nostalgia, or sheer curiosity about primitive games from the early 1980s.

As for the games being "necessarily very simple", I don't understand your point. The Galaxian tabletop has three different game modes and is tons of fun, Pac-Man also has two or three modes of play, Frogger only has one game mode IIRC, but it's still quite entertaining. They're the kind of little games you could buy for 99 cents, play in spurts, and get more than your money's worth.

But the licensing issues would probably be prohibitive for all three games, and Donkey Kong's not even worth talking about. :ponder: