IGNORED

Alternative to batari basic?

Gip-Gip

As the title says, i am looking for an alternative to batari basic, mainly because the compiler is unbelievably unstable. Preferably c or basic syntax, no assemblers please.

Are you using the latest version of bB:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#gettingstarted

Yes.

You can use the ASDK to write Abstract Assembly :)

You get a virtual world 10x the size of the screen, tile mapped sprites with off screen and on screen collision detection anywhere in the virtual world, a CAM object, a RAM doubler, vertical sprite flipping and other neat stuff - you can also use the bB compiler if you prefer it to abstract asm.

I can also teach you assembly right on the game grid in about 8 hours if you make coffee and take breaks to play Defender :)

Follow the links in my signature :)

• Like 3

Older versions of bB sometimes crash on newer OSes. The issues that caused this were tracked down and fixed in the version RT linked to in his post above.

If you discover a bug with that version, report it, and it will be fixed. That said, I don't think it's likely that you'll encounter any bugs with it.

Also, your replies to yesterday's respondents sounded quite sarcastic. You should take a moment to correct that impression.... surely someone asking for help from our community wouldn't be so rude to members providing factually correct responses.

• Like 4

Also, your replies to yesterday's respondents sounded quite sarcastic. You should take a moment to correct that impression.... surely someone asking for help from our community wouldn't be so rude to members providing factually correct responses.

RevEng,

the op received a one word response of "No"; that's brusque and and non-descriptive to a programmer looking for help. Back on topic, there are alternatives :)

ASDK

RevEng,

the op received a one word response of "No"; that's brusque and and non-descriptive to a programmer looking for help. Back on topic, there are alternatives :)

ASDK

When I clicked on your link, it seems like just about every post talks about using assembly language. He said "preferably c or BASIC syntax."

When I clicked on your link, it seems like just about every post talks about using assembly language. He said "preferably c or BASIC syntax."

RT,

the ASDK supports abstract Assembly which is high level, like Tiny BASIC:

There are objects like a Camera object and pixel coordinates for the virtual world and the sprites all x,y addressable.

In addition to the transparent graphics subsystems there are memory subsystems like the RAM doubler - and there are high level functions like the Typecasting function to cast/convert 8 bit variables to 4-bit variables; all the dreamy hallmark stuff of high level languages are present :)

Try it you might like it you will see; green eggs and ham, you can even use bB :)

post-30777-0-48166500-1410025120.jpg

RevEng,

That is a programmer response, maybe you aren't really a programmer. :P I had originally typed 0, but I figured a non-programmer wouldn't get it.

Visual is bBasic, it's the same damn thing and your ASDK is assembly, which is not what he is looking for. There is no alternative.

• Like 2

RevEng,

OP asked for alternatives to bB that don't involve assembly. Your framework needs one of those, so it's not an alternative. Visual bB uses bB, so it's not an alternative. Which alternative are you referring to?

CPUWIZ reply was brief and factual. atari2600land was less "brisque" and got the same treatment. Maybe you feel that CPUWIZ and atari2600land deserve sarcastic replies for helping with a brief factual answer, but in my book thats rude.

That is a programmer response, maybe you aren't really a programmer. :P I had originally typed 0, but I figured a non-programmer wouldn't get it.

Visual is bBasic, it's the same damn thing and your ASDK is assembly, which is not what he is looking for. There is no alternative.

CPUWIZ,

throwing personal insults and cursing, is not the way.

Visual BASIC is not BASIC; the difference is essentially various integrated RAD tools (potentially) speed development by abstracting and writing blocks of code you would otherwise do by hand.

And Abstract Assembly is high level development that speeds assembly development because it provides a Framework of high level objects and functions that you call with glue code - doesn't matter if you use complied bB or not; look at a bB assembly output and you'll see it's much the same, just abstract glue code calling framework objects and functions - same as the Assembly output for C or any compiled language.

The trouble with learning hardcore low level Assembly on the VCS is that it's like opening a physics book starting backward from the last page; with Abstract Assembly you start on the Game Grid with Tron, building games fast on your light cycle - from there the physics become easy and simple to understand.

Don't call names or pick on Gip-Gip; open your mind instead, and I'll teach you to write awesome Abstract Assembly games with Neo, Johnny and JCVD. It's more fun :)

post-30777-0-02390300-1410031714_thumb.jpg

Visual BASIC is not BASIC; the difference is essentially various integrated RAD tools (potentially) speed development by abstracting and writing blocks of code you would otherwise do by hand.

I think you guys might be getting your wires crossed on the Visual BASIC thing. I think you're talking about one product and CPUWIZ is talking about another product that happens to be an IDE for batari Basic called Visual batari Basic.

CPUWIZ,

throwing personal insults and cursing, is not the way.

Cursing? LMAO

Now I have to go bump your own personal thread (which was created by another mod) in the hidden moderator forum and remind them about you. :lol:

Keep it up! Winning.

I'll teach you to write...

That is one of the funniest things, I have read in ages, thanks for that. :rolling:

Now I have to go bump your own personal thread (which was created by another mod) in the hidden moderator forum and remind them about you. :lol:

Maybe Albert will make me a moderator for a day as a Christmas present this year so I can see the hidden thread about me. :D

• Like 2

Cursing? LMAO

Keep it up! Winning.

That is one of the funniest things, I have read in ages, thanks for that. :rolling:

With awesome development tools like batari BASIC, Visual bB and the ASDK everybody wins! :) They are all great options to explore!

Maybe Albert will make me a moderator for a day as a Christmas present this year so I can see the hidden thread about me. :D

Agree the secret room sounds really cool! :)

Adventure has one - every game should have one - that's awesome Atariage does! There should be a way for gamers to find it though; maybe get there through a secret wall in one of the chat rooms you can only find if you type in the right keywords :)

I've put secret rooms in some of my games, only a few of gamers have discovered them so far. Have you ever tried this? Subliminal programming is also tremendous fun on the Atari; you can control every line of every frame - the outer limits has nothing on the VCS! :)

As the title says, i am looking for an alternative to batari basic, mainly because the compiler is unbelievably unstable. Preferably c or basic syntax, no assemblers please.

Some of the terse responses are because bB really is the one solution for higher level language programming (on the 2600.) Please post in the batari BASIC section to describe your unbelievably unstable issues. Many times it's just a gotcha that you or I don't know about. Or, having an older version of bB installed.

• Like 2

Alright. I fixed it somehow...

First, I'll just say what basically happened; the compiler kept saying it had somewhere around 2828 bytes free every single time I compiled.

Then I changed the name of the directory bB was in and "reinstalled" bB and somehow that fixed it.

However thank everyone for responding to a topic that would be resolved in less than a day.