IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

There is an INTERESTING WEBSITE that has all kinds of photos of the TI, P-Box and other stuff in various states of disassembly.

If you are a newbie that's never done more than slap a card into the P-Box, check this site out. You'll see the the TI is not so scary opened up. Who knows, you might finally tackle replacing that loud fan someday. :)

IMG_2620.jpg

• Like 1

There is an INTERESTING WEBSITE that has all kinds of photos of the TI, P-Box and other stuff in various states of disassembly.

If you are a newbie that's never done more than slap a card into the P-Box, check this site out. You'll see the the TI is not so scary opened up. Who knows, you might finally tackle replacing that loud fan someday. :)

IMG_2620.jpg

What fan did you put in yours? Will any pc fan work?

That's funny... when I run across blue diodes I replace them with amber ;)

I just replaced the LED in my frequently-used console with a nice, Blue diffused LED which is an odd move for me as I'm not into this whole Blue LED fad. I had the thing open to clean the cartridge slot and edge connector, saw the Blue LED sitting at the top of my parts-bin and had a brain-fart.

It looks good just now but I can see myself replacing it again at some point in the future.

My PEB is one of the earlier 4 models with a push on/off switch. Is there anything I need to look out for, or are they as reliable as the 4/a ones with the flick-switch power?

Any other differences?

A few as you can see from this first image, the metal part of the card guides goes clear to the top, this was deemed not good as it damaged some cards. If you use a P-Box with the metal guides going to the top, use some electrical tape to protect the card.

PEBbutton.JPG

This style of box USUALLY had a fuse holder on the back (which is a very good thing).

n0118401.jpg

The later rocker switch type, looks better, and they have the 'improved' card slot, but instead of a fuse holder, they have a fuseable link builit into the transformer as a cost-saving measure.

box_top.jpg

box_back.jpg

BTW, if you look at the little square plate next to the power cable on the newer PEBs, you will find out something interesting if you actually open it up--it is also the fuse holder. . .so there is an external fuse in addition to that fusible link in the middle of the transformer. Its normal function is to change the input voltage, but it is also the fuse.

Ohm's picture made me wonder, there are some big electrolytics on the TI mainboard. They're very old. :) Has anyone seen a board where they are starting to fail yet?

Good question! I'm wondering if I should replace the capacitors in my backup box for the eventual day when the PEB in use finally fails.

Anyone have a list or a link to a list of the SPECIFIC ones to order? I'd really rather not have to open it up just to find out.

Hopefully those of us who decide to do this can get just the parts we need without having to order 100 of each from China. :roll:

If not, maybe a replacement kit could be put together and sold by someone. I'd be interested in a package deal that would allow me to replace all the caps on all the original cards as well as the PEB.

Unicorn Electronics is your friend when it comes to small-volume orders. They have a low minimum order size ($25 before shipping) and a very wide selection of parts at more-or-less reasonable prices. I only say more-or-less due to the fact that the prices are higher for low-volume stuff--their quantity prices are usually pretty good.