IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

I'm happy to report that if you call the Prison Board BBS at telnet://rdfig.net or 972-329-0781 the entire 2015 Atari BBS list has been added for quick access.

Simply call the BBS, at the first prompt select "A" for the Mystic BBS. Get to the Main Menu. Select X for Internet, then A for Atari.

This was a service started in 2007 primarily set for Lantronix users who only have IP addresses to work with can access the basically stable IP address of the Prison Board at IP 108.204.186.225. Of course it is also good for users that want to call a BBS with a modem and then telnet out to all the other BBS's from there.

Either way it opens up the entire Atari BBS world with just one stop. :D

post-4709-0-35329600-1420525234_thumb.jpg

Edited by doctorclu

• 2 weeks later...

Due to lack of activity/interest, I am taking The Electric Cafe' down. I will pull the plug at the end of the week.

Thank you all who have supported the BBS. We gave it an honest try and left the BBS up for quite some time but for whatever reason it just did not catch on.

Hey Doc...sorry to hear that. I thought your BBS was doing okay - I know I called occasionaly and

while it didn't seem like people were beating the door down to get in, so to speak, I did think it was

fairly active.

Hoping you'll change your mind! :)

If there is ever a BBS program, which is important to thousands of us, it is:

SIMPLEREL.ACT

for Action!

If anyone of you BBS guys has this file and can post it here or via pm, you are my hero of 2015!

Yes, we have Jan...

Thank you so much in advance, you are very welcome.

-----------------------------------------

ACTION OBJECT CODE RELOCATION PROGRAM

The program SIMPLREL.ACT on this BBS
may be used to cause an ACTION!
program to load and run at a
different address than that address
at which it was compiled. The same
program will also work for assembly
language object files, providing you
also follow the given instructions.

The program takes two object files as
input and produces a third file which
will load and run at a desired
address. The relocating program
prompts the user for the two input
files, which must have been compiled
one page (256 bytes) apart. It then
prompts for an output file name (the
relocated file), the page number of
the starting address of the first
file, and the page number of the
desired destination address. Both
page numbers must be decimal values.
For example, specifying 32 as the
destination page will cause the
output file to load at address 32*256
($2000), not $3200.

See part V, "The ACTION! Compiler",
chapter 2, page 144, for information
on compiling programs to a specified
address (Used to compile the two
object files one page apart).

In order to use the relocating
program, download SIMPLEREL.ACT and
read the instructions therein.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to lack of activity/interest, I am taking The Electric Cafe' down. I will pull the plug at the end of the week.

Thank you all who have supported the BBS. We gave it an honest try and left the BBS up for quite some time but for whatever reason it just did not catch on.

Ohhh no! Sorry to hear this. I enjoyed calling. Thanks for the time you had it live!

/|\TARI RULZ

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to change the port #23 to a different port # on YYZ BBS. It sustains too many bot scans each day and gets hung fairly often. This is the reason you can't connect to YYZ BBS sometimes. I have to keep an eye on it and make sure it's connected ready and not hung.

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

Telnet: yyzbbs.no-ip.org

I think I'm going to change the port #23 to a different port # on YYZ BBS. It sustains too many bot scans each day and gets hung fairly often. This is the reason you can't connect to YYZ BBS sometimes. I have to keep an eye on it and make sure it's connected ready and not hung.

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

Telnet: yyzbbs.no-ip.org

Yeah, those suck. Might have to do that myself. I was getting as many as 70 a day last year... down to about 30 now... but still considering that it runs the mailer, then possibly having to time out at the login screen each time can take a few minutes - and that assumes that it doesn't occasionally crash it. Before that though I'm going to try logging it to see where they come from.

The only reason I can be sure of mine is that when someone calls, RatSoft runs BinkleyTerm (the fido mailer) first, which does the famous "press escape to enter"... Binkley keeps track of all call attempts, so if a call lasts longer than the escape timeout, it logs it as a "BBS" call and returns to RatSoft (which usually by that time detects there is no connection and just resets). Sometimes the connection doesn't hang up and on those occasions, rarely, it might have a problem. The only reason I know how often it happens if I'm not watching it is looking at the number of "BBS" calls.... As of right now, 2:46pm today, I have about 30+ calls to the BBS. .... .... .... I didn't get 30+ calls today.

I used to run BT back in the 90's but BT was already running and answered the phone, not the BBS.

What is Ratsoft?

The BBS Software I'm running......

As to Bink, you can run it that way, or you can run it in a batch mode. It makes it easier on the event scheduler for RatSoft if I run it that way.

Edited by Tillek

Ratsoft was pretty popular at one time. Wasn't it about the last commerical BBS

software release for the ST?

I actually bought a copy and tried it out once. Couldn't quite get into it though. I

had already sunk a lot of time and effort into DarkForce using BBS Express and

was quite comfortable with it so I finally sold my copy of Ratsoft.

I used BT for all my event scheduling (when I was running BT). I also ran Seadog, Opus, Frontdoor and Intermail as mailers.

Are you still in Fidonet? I was NC264 for a few years.

I assume you were running a PC then? I'm not sure how different the Binks got between the ST and PC versions....

Yes, still in it. Even got the same node number back. 1:2215/1701.... Actually, I was part of the group that helped split from Cleveland's 157 to bring 2215 to Akron... those were the good old days.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let it be known, having a few hard drive issues right now on the BBS. Looks more like corruption more than a physical issue, but when I tried running the fix on it... well, you know how it can be with lost clusters... just makes everything worse.

Fortunately, I backed everything up before messing with it, but it is going to take me some time to get it all straightened out and I'm in the middle of midterms and midterm projects so I have to work on a few school things first.

So expect SFHQ is going to be offline for a few days. If I get really productive with schoolwork I could have it up by the end of the weekend, but I had so much overhauling I wanted to do to it anyway, I may just start working on that. I've been wanting to re-do the hard drive partitions and rearrange a few things anyway, like re-doing the Fido setup... may as well do it now. I think you'll like some of what I have planned.

Just an update... Got SFHQ back up this morning. Decided not to keep it down until everything was re-done (got some stuff on order, want to experiment with some things). Fixed the main problem with the partitions (luckily, no bad sectors/clusters... not bad for a hard drive that is older than many of my fellow students at school!)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I apologize if this is the wrong thread. Feel free to tell me where to go, if I should post elsewhere.

I want to resurrect my BBS. Many years ago (in the 90s) I ran The Bates Motel BBS on my 130XE/MIO w/ BBS Express Pro. I took it down and am getting back into the 8bit. I have been looking at solutions and I really like the Lantronix solution. I understand the MSS-100 is now discontinued, but the DS-10 will work. What else would I need?

I need to find a new/used copy of BBS Express Pro as I sold/lost my copy two decades ago.

Thanks for your help

Well, the Lantronix will replace the modem, so other than that, what you need is what you had to run the BBS - what you still have.... Assuming you still have all your drives, cables, etc. you probably just need the software. Here is some information and files....

http://software.bbsdocumentary.com/ATARI/EIGHTBIT/BBSEXPRESSPRO/

I'm sure some others here can give you more specific help on that software.

Once you get your Lantronix I'm sure we can help you get it set up. After that, it's all about setting up the BBS software, which you already probably know how to do (it is just like falling off a bike, you never forget how).

The link above is for the original BBS:Express software... not PRO.

Steve Carden still sells a newer version of PRO.

Lance (I forget his last name) also sells an older one.

Who is the owner? Your guess is as good as mine.