IGNORED

Stuart's TI-99/4A - Internet Web Browser

Omega-TI

There is currently a lot of TI discussion going on at that site. You guys might want to check it out.

This explains all the unusual activity on my blog recently too!

Go back to mizapf's original message << HERE >> because it's a great post.

(Atari Age made a new page for this thread, but no one should miss that post.

• Like 1

I acquired a UDS-10 the other day and plugged it into my NanoPEB last night and got Stuart's browser working. Wow, it's amazing to see a TI be able to communicate over the Internet like that.

Anyway, I decided to try creating a compatible website using the 99ML tags. My first attempt is:

http://www.ti99.us/books/ (for TI only)

I took one of the public domain short stories from Project Gutenberg (Arthur Conan Doyle's "A Scandal in Bohemia" from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes) and tried to make an eBook for the TI.

It's not exactly a Kindle, and it won't set your world on Fire, but I thought it was worth a try to see what I could get out of Stuart's browser.

I wasn't sure how big the 99ml pages could be, so I figured about 200 lines maximum, each with about 41 characters of printable text, should be OK (that averaged a hair under 8 KB most of them, but sometimes up to about 9 KB).

Some observations:

#1 - If you don't put the end-slash on the URL, I get a HTTP 301 error. Not sure if the Browser or my Web Server. It's not a standard webserver--just a Java class file running on an original Microsoft Xbox hacked to run Linux:

http://www.bgfax.com/xbox/ (not for the TI, regular HTML)

#2 - Links don't seem to work right if they aren't on the "first" page. If you scroll down and go to a link on the bottom of the page (a few screens down), the link directs you to somewhere else. Example:

http://www.ti99.us/books/pg1661/ (for TI only)

there are two links for the Scandal in Bohemia--one visible on the first page, that works, and another, if scroll down (Z at least 3-4 times), that doesn't.

#3 - Scrolling with "Z" only goes down a few screen lines at a time. For eBooks, it doesn't feel right. Probably need to make Z scroll an entire screens-worth of data (or a screens-worth minus one line). Not sure how easy or not that would be. It takes forever to read just 200 lines on the screen this way.

#4 - Is there any way to exit the browser? FCTN-QUIT doesn't work. Not sure if turning off the power is the proper way to do it? Maybe this is just how EA3 programs behave?

#5 - Last night, I had some issues where it was having trouble resolving the domain name and it keep trying and trying. Hasn't happened today once, but it was annoying last night, as I couldn't make it stop without turning off the computer.

#6 - I'm not sure if my 99ML is right. Every line of text I start with p and /p in less than and greater than signs. Not sure if I should do that for every line? When I didn't do it, I would get, a "LF" character instead of space. Not sure if I can just remap the chr for LF to be empty to be a little more eye pleasing? Though it doesn't word wrap, so not sure if it matters. I assume word wrap might be too intensive for the browser? Or might that be a feature that comes in later?

Not trying to take away from the fantasticness of Stuart's browser. It's awesome. Just figured I'd report a few things and ask questions.

• Like 1

Yes! Now THIS is what I'm talking about! Great job! You did a great job on the formatting and everything else too.

gallery_35324_1027_154112.jpg

On your #5

I've encountered that a couple of times myself. I just remove the power from the UDS-10 for a second or two and plug it back in and every thing is fine again.

With everything NEW there is bound to be a glitch or two, but it looks like you are off to a great start and have things pretty muck licked.

Also, congratulations on having the FIRST 'non-author's' Webpage!

• Like 1

#6 - I'm not sure if my 99ML is right. Every line of text I start with p and /p in less than and greater than signs. Not sure if I should do that for every line? When I didn't do it, I would get, a "LF" character instead of space. Not sure if I can just remap the chr for LF to be empty to be a little more eye pleasing? Though it doesn't word wrap, so not sure if it matters. I assume word wrap might be too intensive for the browser? Or might that be a feature that comes in later?s.

Look up a couple of postings... Stuart and I discussed the LF deal, and I put up some sample code on eliminating the <p></p> on every line... I figured a <br> uses less bandwidth than <p></p>

Thanks for the comments BJ. In reply:

The buffer for downloading a page is currently 10,000 bytes. If you exceed this, the program should show a "page truncated" message on the bottom line.

#1. The program expects at least one "/" in the URL separating the host server name from the web page name. If you send a file path but not a file name (is that what you were doing?) then I think the program will request the page properly, so it depends on how your server responds. I think. Possibly. ;-)

#2. I think you're right that there's a bug in handling links that aren't on the first page. Sometimes it seemed to work for me, sometimes it didn't. I'll look into it.

#3. I think you're right (again) - it isn't scrolling far enough. I'll look at changing it to scroll one screen minus one line.

#4. At the moment, the power switch is the only way to quit the program. I'll see if I can hook Fnctn-Quit in there somewhere.

#5. Yes it is annoying. This seems to be an 'issue' with the UDS-10. Powering the UDS-10 off and on again sometimes helps, as Omega suggested above.

#6. The way I sort of intended using it is to have <p></p> tags around each *paragraph*, and to have spaces at the end of each line as needed to achieve the required word wrap. [View the source on the PC for this file [http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/z_ti_test_2.htm] and you'll see what I mean.] For the large amount of text you're using, you might be able to knock up something quick on the PC that will split and format text into this format. Did have a think about doing line wrapping in the browser itself - maybe in the future.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Stuart.

Just uploaded an update to the program. http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser

I've tested it pretty thoroughly on my TM990 system, but have done only minimal testing on the TI-99 version using Win994a.

Changes are:

-- When viewing a page, pressing the M key now redisplays the previously entered URL which you can edit. Saves typing the last URL out all again.
-- Moved the workspace to 16-bit RAM, which should improve speed slightly.
-- Added error trap for if host name is not valid (no DNS entry found for host name). Displays error message and the previously entered URL, which you can edit to correct a typo etc.
-- Added error trap for it no web page name specified (no '/' in URL). Displays error message and the previously entered URL.
-- Corrected problem with inconsistent screen scrolling. Sometimes it would scroll 3 lines, sometimes 5 lines, etc.
-- Changed scrolling to jump 15 lines at a time.
-- Corrected problem with links on parts of the page you have to scroll down to.

BJGuillot - I tested it with your Sherlock Holmes pages and as far as I can see, it now works correctly. ;-)

Enjoy. Let me know if there are any problems. Apart from the UDS-10 having to retry the connections, which I don't think I can do much about.

Stuart.

• Like 3

Hi Stuart,

I have something to report on the new version. The new "M" command is nice, however it requires that one type in the URL previously, before one can edit it. It does not appear to function with addresses accessed by a link in the FAVS file. I'll walk you through whats happening...

1) Load the program as normal.

2) Go directly to the TI CHAT link as saved in my FAVS file.

------------- When I press "M" it comes up with a blank line.

I there a way to insert the URL into the same location that's used when it's typed in?

Hi Stuart,

I have something to report on the new version. The new "M" command is nice, however it requires that one type in the URL previously, before one can edit it. It does not appear to function with addresses accessed by a link in the FAVS file. I'll walk you through whats happening...

1) Load the program as normal.

2) Go directly to the TI CHAT link as saved in my FAVS file.

------------- When I press "M" it comes up with a blank line.

I there a way to insert the URL into the same location that's used when it's typed in?

Yes, I purposely made the M key work with the last URL you typed, rather than the last link you selected. I'll think about implementing a short (~5 entry?) History list that includes both types of link.

Edited by Stuart

Right, I've posted a new version of the browser - now up to version 6. http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/ti/ti.htm#internet_web_browser

I've removed the 'M' key to display the previously entered URL which, on reflection, was perhaps not a good idea, and implemented a 5-entry URL history list. Any URL you type or select from a link is added to the top of the history list, with the oldest entry dropping off the bottom. If you select the same link twice in succession then the same URL is added twice to the history list - there is no filtering if a URL is already in the list. If an entered URL is invalid, it is also added to the list.

To access the URL history list, press <FCTN-E> or <FCTN-X> (the up and down arrows) to cycle to the previous or next entry in the list. These keys are active both when viewing a web page and when entering a URL. The displayed entry can either be selected again immediately (press <Enter>) or edited. So if you type a URL or select it from the favourites list, after the page loads, pressing <FCTN-E> enables the page URL to be edited.

Tested on my TM990, but have done only minimal testing on the TI-99 version using Win994a

Stuart.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

...is it possible to implement the joystick as a mouse ?

Certainly possible. I'll add it to the list ...

Once that is done, what would it take for a hardware hacker to design a device that plugs into the joystick port that translates the requirements for a device like this...

Glidepoint%20Cirque%20GP160C-0220%20Touc

I still think this would be cool, and it could be used with many pre-existing programs with no re-writes of software needed.

• Like 1

Once that is done, what would it take for a hardware hacker to design a device that plugs into the joystick port that translates the requirements for a device like this...

Glidepoint%20Cirque%20GP160C-0220%20Touc

I still think this would be cool, and it could be used with many pre-existing programs with no re-writes of software needed.

I think that already could be possible with a device called "Micromys V4".

http://www.vesalia.de/e_micromysv4.htm

The Micromys can convert a incoming PS/2 mouse signal to Commodore compatible joystick movements.

You should get the PS/2 version of that touchpad.

http://www.ergocanada.com/detailed_specification_pages/cirque_corporation_easy_cat_ps2_or_serial_touchpad.html

I do have the older Micromys V3, which does not autodetect, when I finish my Atari -> TI joystick adapter, I'll try it out with a PS/2 mouse.

• Like 2

I think that already could be possible with a device called "Micromys V4".

http://www.vesalia.de/e_micromysv4.htm

The Micromys can convert a incoming PS/2 mouse signal to Commodore compatible joystick movements.

You should get the PS/2 version of that touchpad.

http://www.ergocanada.com/detailed_specification_pages/cirque_corporation_easy_cat_ps2_or_serial_touchpad.html

I do have the older Micromys V3, which does not autodetect, when I finish my Atari -> TI joystick adapter, I'll try it out with a PS/2 mouse.

ok ordered one

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...