IGNORED

Extended Basic v2.7 Suite Cartridge

Gazoo

attachicon.gif050615XB27.dsk

The cartridge Grom verifier program is embedded in this version. Flash the cartridge as before. Press F6 to check the integrity of the Grom code.

Date is updated on F7 screen, and edge is changed from black to dark blue.

Your TI must be working absolutely perfectly for the flash process to work correctly. I got the red screen several times before I succeeded. I had to reseat all the connectors in the system - cartridge, side port, and pbox cards to get everything working properly. Now I get the green screen every time.

Gazoo

Did one, no issues worked first try

did another, errors, trying agani

same hw

Just want to confirm, before I do this yet again, that the version in message #371 is going to be the final version for awhile, and still contains the Uber BOOT stuffer?

Yes, and I don't anticipate adding anything else. There's >0798 bytes at the end of the TI Diagnostics code that I overlooked while doing the last upgrade, but I don't have any ideas as to what else could be added.

Gazoo

• Like 1

I get a nice green screen, but Dec2Hex and CALLs are still not working.

Probably an issue with the ROM, then. That type of chip is very sensitive to pin bending and flaky contacts, it could even be the 74LS378 causing the issue. I can do a stand-alone checksum program for that, or maybe even stuff it into that >0798 bytes of Grom I have left.

Gazoo

• Like 1

Does your verifier compute values for each bank or one value for the entire image? If a single bank is being ornery, the former might help detect this. Also do you compute the value from the image being read or a fixed set of values?

I do a checksum on the individual bytes for the entire Grom space except for the last 2 bytes. The last 2 bytes contain the checksum, which are then read and compared to the value calculated. That way, if and when I upgrade the cart again, I can just compute the new checksum and put that value in the last 2 bytes without having to dig around looking for it.

Gazoo

I'll need a few weeks to regroup and make another run of 8 or 10 more carts. I've got 35 shells left so I can keep going until those run out if need be. Sorry no advance orders, I'm not capable of being organized enough to start something like that!

Glad to see there's interest. :)

Gazoo

Fine,but I already reprogrammed the ROM once although my programmer couldn't find any differences in the first place. Is the AVR code include in the checksum?

Fine,but I already reprogrammed the ROM once although my programmer couldn't find any differences in the first place. Is the AVR code include in the checksum?

Just because you programmed the ROM doesn't mean it's being read correctly by the TI, as it might not be making proper contact with the socket and/or there might be a problem with your 378 chip. The checksum will be able to verify that. So your problem seems to have narrowed to one of these possibilities:

1. Cartridge ROM issue.

2. Cartridge 74LS378 issue.

3. AVR boot code issue.

By 'AVR code' I assume you mean the 1284P boot code? If so the answer is no, as that is not accessible from the TI.

Gazoo

EDIT: Further though on this causes me to discount #3 as an option. For the Checksum code to succeed, the AVR boot code must be working correctly, as it's allowed you to read every byte of Grom in the Flash. It's just like the idea that I don't need to include the EEprom in the checksum because if the memory map wasn't correct, the checksum couldn't be correct.

Edited by Gazoo

VERIFYROM.dsk

The Cartridge Rom Verifier was pretty easy to slap together. I already had the screen stuff setup from the other program which is by far the most difficult part.

I can spend hours trying to put text up on the screen until I get it right. :(

Same cyan, green, and red screens. Just removed the 'G' from 'Grom'. :)

Since the checksum of the ROM will never change as it can't be programmed in console, it is hard coded in the program.

Run the program 'VERIFYROM'.

If this program runs successfully along with the Grom verification program then your cartridge must work. The only possibilities if it doesn't work are bad RAM somewhere - console, 32k, or VDP.

Gazoo

attachicon.gifVERIFYROM.dsk

The Cartridge Rom Verifier was pretty easy to slap together. I already had the screen stuff setup from the other program which is by far the most difficult part.

I can spend hours trying to put text up on the screen until I get it right. :(

Same cyan, green, and red screens. Just removed the 'G' from 'Grom'. :)

Since the checksum of the ROM will never change as it can't be programmed in console, it is hard coded in the program.

Run the program 'VERIFYROM'.

If this program runs successfully along with the Grom verification program then your cartridge must work. The only possibilities if it doesn't work are bad RAM somewhere - console, 32k, or VDP.

Gazoo

red screen on both roms of both boards on the nanopeb

red screen on both roms of both boards on the nanopeb

Are you using the 29.... or 49.... EEproms? I only ever got one of the 49.... out of the 25 or so that I had to work. On the other hand, all the 29.... worked.

Gazoo

Programming the 49F chips requires one of the clamshell sockets to get them to program reliably, based on my experiences so far. I've never had problems with one of the 49F chips I programmed in one of those sockets--and I can't say the same for any other programming socket type.

Their pins are manufactured a little differently, they might not be making a good connection on the cartridge socket.

Gazoo

I noticed this, when I replaced to the original chip, that 1 pin first did not go in correctly, then I managed to get it in the socket.

Another day the cartridge fell of my table and the chip came out of the socket. So I guess I have this type of chipset (?).

But the other original module (nothing happened to this), has the same issues (I always test with both modules), but the act the same

Programming the 49F chips requires one of the clamshell sockets to get them to program reliably, based on my experiences so far. I've never had problems with one of the 49F chips I programmed in one of those sockets--and I can't say the same for any other programming socket type.

that's what I use and my burns verify.. If I burn the chips in my burner there is no issue with them, only when reprogramming on the TI do things go wrong and not every time..

Greg

Might as well combine both verifiers into one. ;)

Just have to cram it into the cartridge Grom now...

Gazoo

I don't know whether you are tight on space, but you could re-use the “GROM VERIFIER” text for the “ROM VERIFIER” text by simply over-writing the ‘G’ in both instances of “GROM” with a space:

CARTRIDGE GROM VERIFIER
Extended Basic v2.7 Suite
Cartridge GROM is verified.
becomes

CARTRIDGE ROM VERIFIER
Cartridge ROM is verified.

It effectively adds an extra space in front of “ROM”, but should look OK—especially, with “GROM” and “ROM” everywhere capitalized.

...lee

• Like 1

I don't know whether you are tight on space, but you could re-use the “GROM VERIFIER” text for the “ROM VERIFIER” text by simply over-writing the ‘G’ in both instances of “GROM” with a space:

CARTRIDGE GROM VERIFIER
Cartridge GROM is verified.
becomes

CARTRIDGE ROM VERIFIER
Cartridge ROM is verified.

It effectively adds an extra space in front of “ROM”, but should look OK—especially, with “GROM” and “ROM” everywhere capitalized.

...lee

You're a smart 'fella. :)

I've got enough room though, and mine's prettier. ;)

Thanks, Lee. I might use that in the future somewhere.