IGNORED

Potential new hardware

foft

Didn't the DE1 require mods to show enough colors? (or maybe that was a different project)

Different project. Though the DE1 has only 4 bits/col. ie a palette of 4096 to choose from. Without doing anything special in the core. The sockit has10 bits/ col, with 8 actually connected!

So the colour accuracy will be better on sockit but honestly I can't tell the difference without doing a side by side comparison.

It's more an issue with Amiga AGA for instance.

Success (for anyone interested!)

I managed to boot a home made "cartridge" on the DE1 - Deluxe Invaders (8k).

The ROM was programmed onto an 8k EEPROM (AT28C64b-15pu), and the data bus was 5v->3.3v level shifted for the DE1's IO pins using an 74LVC245. The 3.3v address bus was left unshifted (along with S5) and the EEPROM seems happy with that. S5 running into CE on the EEPROM and OE on the 245.

Didn't work first time (though occassionally I could see bits of very corrupted title screen), so I re-wired and added decoupling capacitors over both ICs, and it worked immediately.

Its a pain to try to run all these wires correctly though....

Next - some breadboard experiments with a CPLD and bank switching....

post-41252-0-71945500-1424532057_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just a short post so that you know we are still working on it.

No real PBI device support yet, but my Romdisk hooked up to the DE1 is working:

post-9299-0-92976900-1425686649_thumb.jpg

The Romdisk plugs into the PBI but needs a special OS inside the Atari and requires that the $D1xx access output of the LS138 in the 800XL is connected to the (unused) PBI pin 33. I'm using a Freezer prototype board (CPLD board only) to do the address decoding and wired on of the CPLD outputs to PBI pin 33. That seemed to be the easiest way to build a simple address decoder :-)

Big thanks to foft for the new adapter board, it's working really fine!

so long,

Hias

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Foft,

Some days ago I ordered stickers (with ATARI symbols) for a PC keyboard and I just realized that the keyboard layouts used by the atari800 core and by Altirra are slightly different (especially the mapping of the function keys is different).

Is there any reason behind it?

I hoped to use the same keyboard with MIST and with the Atari emulators on PC...

Regards

Montezuma

Edited by TheMontezuma

Hi

It's been about 20 years since I packed away my 130XEs and have regretted it many many times since then. My hardware is long gone (apart from a 400 that hasn't been powered up in years) and the FPGA route intrigues me as a way to satisfy my nostalgia.

I recently spotted this FPGA board and was wondering whether it has the capability to run the atari800-core?

Thanks

Geoff

Hi Foft,

Some days ago I ordered stickers (with ATARI symbols) for a PC keyboard and I just realized that the keyboard layouts used by the atari800 core and by Altirra are slightly different (especially the mapping of the function keys is different).

Is there any reason behind it?

I hoped to use the same keyboard with MIST and with the Atari emulators on PC...

I based it on the physical Atari layout. F1-F4 are mapped directly since they exist on 1200XL. F12 tends to be a menu key on many fpga boards, so I put functions on F5-F8. Altirra has a 'direct keyboard' option. That may be similar - I can't find a picture of the direct Altirra mapping.

Of course you can remap either Altirra or the core to match. To change the core mappings you need to rebuild it, but its relatively simple. Let me know if you need help.

Hi Geoff,

It's been about 20 years since I packed away my 130XEs and have regretted it many many times since then. My hardware is long gone (apart from a 400 that hasn't been powered up in years) and the FPGA route intrigues me as a way to satisfy my nostalgia.

I recently spotted this FPGA board and was wondering whether it has the capability to run the atari800-core?

Well it's Spartan 6 LX9 based. The core (+zpu) just fits in this with a few bits turned off. eg Aeon lite latest svn has 2nd pokey and covox off. However it's not a board I'm supporting so you'd need to port it yourself.

I will be supporting the Papilio Duo with computing shield, another LX9 board. Was the Rasp PI integration something you plan to use?

Edited by foft

I based it on the physical Atari layout. F1-F4 are mapped directly since they exist on 1200XL. F12 tends to be a menu key on many fpga boards, so I put functions on F5-F8. Altirra has a 'direct keyboard' option. That may be similar - I can't find a picture of the direct Altirra mapping.

Of course you can remap either Altirra or the core to match. To change the core mappings you need to rebuild it, but its relatively simple. Let me know if you need help.

It would be interesting. Some days ago I have found the sources for 20140119 version and built it with:

"Quartus II 13.0sp1 (64-bit) Web Edition", but I can't find any sources for the current releases at:

http://ssh.scrameta.net/autobuild/

It would be great if you could share the location of the sources and give us some hints on changing the key mapping (altough I think I will stay with your layout).

Thanks

Montezuma

Hi Geoff,

Well it's Spartan 6 LX9 based. The core (+zpu) just fits in this with a few bits turned off. eg Aeon lite latest svn has 2nd pokey and covox off. However it's not a board I'm supporting so you'd need to port it yourself.

I will be supporting the Papilio Duo with computing shield, another LX9 board. Was the Rasp PI integration something you plan to use?

I think to try porting the core myself would be beyond my ability (and available free time) so I'm really looking for something 'off-the-shelf' that I can get started with and learn from.

I wasn't specifically planning Raspberry Pi integration, it was more the thought that utilising the existing hardware might reduce the cost of entry into the FPGA world.

The Papilio Duo looks interesting, especially with the Computing Shield providing VGA/joystick ports/etc, I'll take a closer look at that especially if it is going to be a supported platform.

This has to be one of the most interesting projects I've seen in ages!

Mostly I guess I just miss my Atari... :)

Thanks for the info

Geoff

It would be interesting. Some days ago I have found the sources for 20140119 version and built it with:

"Quartus II 13.0sp1 (64-bit) Web Edition", but I can't find any sources for the current releases at:

http://ssh.scrameta.net/autobuild/

It would be great if you could share the location of the sources and give us some hints on changing the key mapping (altough I think I will stay with your layout).

Thanks

Montezuma

The source is on the subversion here:

http://www.scrameta.net/atarixlfpga_svn/trunk/

The keyboard mapping is at:

http://www.scrameta.net/atarixlfpga_svn/trunk/atari_800xl/common/a8core/ps2_to_atari800.vhdl

It defines which keys in the matrix are pressed, pokey then scans these.

For reference the ps2 code table is here:

http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2keyboard/scancodes2.html

• 2 weeks later...

The papilio duo build is up. Some notes here: http://forum.gadgetfactory.net/index.php?/topic/2192-new-ongoing-great-project-on-papilio-duo-complete-implementation-of-different-classic-computers-eg-atari-816bit-c64-amiga/page-3

No other real changes.

If you have a DE1 with EDBLL sram may be worth trying it again. Thanks to electrotrains for the drive strength experiments.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
(For MCC-216 users)

Using the hex editor: http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/ I changed the ugly names of the MCC-216 cores that are displayed on the main selection menu. The core’s name is inserted at the beginning of the .arg core file. The cores still work after the changes were applied :) and now I have good looking names on the menu.

You have to open the core's .arg files with the hex editor, change the text that is highlighted on the below pictures, and save the modified .arg core file. Finally you have to flash the modified .arg files on the MCC-216.

Be very careful to not modify other parts of the core file!

63m.jpg

66m.jpg

64m.jpg

65m.jpg

67m.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone using usb on the mcc216 or mcctv ok? It works for me but the mcc team are having problems. Wondering if it only works for me!

Thanks for the core naming tip. I should fix my build script to have decent names!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Mark, thank you for continuing developing your Atari 8 bit core!!! It works pretty well on the MCC-216.

I notice from the last builds that you mention this:

MCC 216/TV:Added support for the official wireless controller

What is this? it is not published or offered on the MCC-216/TV website.

Thanks again and best regards, Juan

• Like 1

Hi Mark, thank you for continuing developing your Atari 8 bit core!!! It works pretty well on the MCC-216.
I notice from the last builds that you mention this:
MCC 216/TV:Added support for the official wireless controller
What is this? it is not published or offered on the MCC-216/TV website.
Thanks again and best regards, Juan

Juan, have you tried contacting ARG? I would also like more info about the controllers.

Edited by NML32