IGNORED

Coleco ADAM Power Supply

Rey

Yes, but we all have personal stuff going on and your power supplies are worth the wait! Hope all is going well for you.

Thanks buddy. I really should head off to bed as I work from 4am to 4pm. I'm seeing double right now.

List will be updated in 5 minutes.

Group of orders for first run;

1-cncfreak 72f91ba6-4711-46d2-9fd9-b916f57de227.gif

2-digress ( 2 power supplies ) (*) 72f91ba6-4711-46d2-9fd9-b916f57de227.gif

3-telengard 72f91ba6-4711-46d2-9fd9-b916f57de227.gif

4-phattyboombatty 72f91ba6-4711-46d2-9fd9-b916f57de227.gif

5-TPR 72f91ba6-4711-46d2-9fd9-b916f57de227.gif

6-mylok (2 power supplies) 72f91ba6-4711-46d2-9fd9-b916f57de227.gif

7-colecoadam72f91ba6-4711-46d2-9fd9-b916f57de227.gif

8-RangerG 72f91ba6-4711-46d2-9fd9-b916f57de227.gif

9-klasko54 (2 power supplies)72f91ba6-4711-46d2-9fd9-b916f57de227.gif

10-snume (*)

11-Tarzilla (*)

12-Tron Unit

13-Gandor

14-coleco_master

15-retrogmr

16-HkryCrkStudio (*)

17-Seagull (*)

18-goldenegg (*)

19-jblenkle (##)

20-silvio (*)

21-ianoid

22-RGDiRocco

• Like 1

Hey power supply forum.

Is it true that the typewriter mode, and smartwriter word processing mode is disabled and non functional with this new power supply? Not that I care, but I want to make sure there isn't a problem with the power supply. Thanks. KEV.

Edited by klasko54

Hey power supply forum.

Is it true that the typewriter mode, and smartwriter word processing mode is disabled and non functional with this new power supply? Not that I care, but I want to make sure there isn't a problem with the power supply. Thanks. KEV.

If either of those modes are non-functional, then the ADAM console itself is non-functional. The built-in software works just fine with Rey's power supply, you just can't output anything to the (missing) printer.

• Like 1

POSSIBLE PROBLEM

Ok. I figured it out. I have two disk drives connected. If at least one of the disk drives is on, the system works, BUT if both disk drives are off, The display is fine, but the system is non functional.

I've tested this with two other consoles, both have this same issue.

Edited by klasko54

This sounds like the same problem I had back in the dark ages (probably late 80s) with a 3rd party power supply. I'm not saying this is what's wrong, but the only thing I could ever figure was that unless the disk drives were running under their own power, the power supply was also trying to send power to the one that was turned off resulting in enough drop in voltage that nothing would run.

I can't remember if this was ever resolved or what happened, but I think I reviewed this power supply in one of the issues of Expandable Computer News. I'll have to go look to see if I can find it.

POSSIBLE PROBLEM

Ok. I figured it out. I have two disk drives connected. If at least one of the disk drives is on, the system works, BUT if both disk drives are off, The display is fine, but the system is non functional.

OK, yeah....found mention of it...

"The Eve PS-1 power supply is the second power supply I have purchased for my ADAM and is by far the better of the two. My previous power supply, produced by ADAM TECH, had several drawbacks that are absent from the Eve power supply.
First of all, the ADAM TECH power supply apparently tried to feed power through the disk drive if it was turned off resulting in insufficient power to make the data drives run. The resolution to this was to turn on the disk drive power whether or not it was being used."

Again, don't know if this is the same problem, but it very well could be.

POSSIBLE PROBLEM

Well I just got home and ran into the room where my Adams are to retest this. I can not replicate this issue at all. I took some pictures and kept disconnected the disk drive supplies.

post-38875-0-81800200-1438201378_thumb.jpgpost-38875-0-77978600-1438201385_thumb.jpg

As you can see, I am able to use smartwriter and both tape drives load great as always. Whatever it is we'll figure it out Klasko.

Let's not forget that the ADAM motherboard went through several revisions. The first step would be to determine which revision klasko54 has. :)

True. That brings me to another update on this. I hooked up another set of backup boards I have and was able to replicate what klasko sees. Definitely if you have 2 disk drives hooked at the same time and they're off, ADAMNet is disabled. If you switch on one of the drives ADAMNet is fine. Or if you have one drive connected instead of the two.

Problem is the supply itself is not an ADAMNet device unlike the printer which happens to have the supply as well. To me this is not a major issue and honestly nothing can be done to correct that. The voltages are not dropping according to me voltage meter, there's just an interruption in adam's own newtork when two disk drives are connected at the same time and are off. No other combo is triggering this issue. With the SGM, CF cards, two tape drives and disk drive ALL connected at the same time there are no issues whatsoever. ONLY when you throw in a 2nd DIsk Drive and it's OFF.

Only two choices are, turn on one of your two disk drives and all will be fine,or only have one connected to your ADAM. A third would be for me to come up with an ADAMNet device for the supply to avoid this issue in a two disk drive setup. That's not happening because one, there's no room for that in the case for the new power supply and two, this would probably almost duplicate the price of the new ADAM power supply. Others please feel free to chime in but in my opinion if I had to go back to having a two DIsk Drive setup, I would MUCH rather have to take a second and turn on one disk drive then to ever go back to that Printer.

Please chime in with your thoughts because a 2nd run will be depending on what is said on this minor issue from here on out. I want people happy and you can see how picky I am through my work, for those who are enjoying the power supply. With how anal I am, I don't feel this is much of a problem, but that's me. Having said that, I will take an additional look at the wiring related to ADAMNet coming from the printer and see if there is something I can do with the current setup for those with a 2 disk drive system.

The day I do create an ADAMNet device, it will not be for the power supply that's for sure.

True. That brings me to another update on this. I hooked up another set of backup boards I have and was able to replicate what klasko sees. Definitely if you have 2 disk drives hooked at the same time and they're off, ADAMNet is disabled. If you switch on one of the drives ADAMNet is fine. Or if you have one drive connected instead of the two.

Problem is the supply itself is not an ADAMNet device unlike the printer which happens to have the supply as well. To me this is not a major issue and honestly nothing can be done to correct that. The voltages are not dropping according to me voltage meter, there's just an interruption in adam's own newtork when two disk drives are connected at the same time and are off. No other combo is triggering this issue. With the SGM, CF cards, two tape drives and disk drive ALL connected at the same time there are no issues whatsoever. ONLY when you throw in a 2nd DIsk Drive and it's OFF.

Only two choices are, turn on one of your two disk drives and all will be fine,or only have one connected to your ADAM. A third would be for me to come up with an ADAMNet device for the supply to avoid this issue in a two disk drive setup. That's not happening because one, there's no room for that in the case for the new power supply and two, this would probably almost duplicate the price of the new ADAM power supply. Others please feel free to chime in but in my opinion if I had to go back to having a two DIsk Drive setup, I would MUCH rather have to take a second and turn on one disk drive then to ever go back to that Printer.

Please chime in with your thoughts because a 2nd run will be depending on what is said on this minor issue from here on out. I want people happy and you can see how picky I am through my work, for those who are enjoying the power supply. With how anal I am, I don't feel this is much of a problem, but that's me. Having said that, I will take an additional look at the wiring related to ADAMNet coming from the printer and see if there is something I can do with the current setup for those with a 2 disk drive system.

The day I do create an ADAMNet device, it will not be for the power supply that's for sure.

Pretty much correct Rey; and some ADAM's are different for some reason or other. When ADAM turns on, he looks to see what is hooked up (disk drives, data drives) and IF he sees a disk drive plugged into ADAMnet, ADAM expects it to be working. Turned off = not working; plain and simple, therefore ADAM freezes. This is all due to what steps ADAM goes thru before booting SmartWriter. All of this can be eliminated by using a power strip to plug in ADAM & it's peripherals. I always stress this when selling ADAM merchandise; all these problems get solved very easily. ADAM looks first to any cards inside the cpu, then disk drives, then data drives, then onto th side port, etc; until every port or ADAMnet device is accounted for.

Edited by adamcon
  • Like 2

Ok so I found a solution but want to test it for a week or two and make sure there are no issues. Basically I put this little guy together and bridged pin 3 to pin 6. This feeds 5v to one of the other lines that belong to the communication between the printer and ADAM. Now ADAMNet is back up and running with the two disk drives off. Won't lie to you all, I did a few fist pumps after I saw it worked. ;)

post-38875-0-41870500-1438208854_thumb.jpg

If this takes care of it then for klasko I can just create a cable that will feed 5v to pin 6 that he can connect between his new supplies and his adams.

• Like 3

Rey. Thanks for working on this issue. while this may not be a problem for some people, If your like me and always use two disk drives for dual formatting, and two disk copying, it is. ALSO, sometimes I don't want the disk drives on at all, when not in use. Leaving the disk drives off, saves on wear ant tear on the disk drives because the disk drives, even with not in use, get very hot.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this power supply, and would not want to be an Adam owner without one of these gems. However, If this fix you made works, I WANT ONE!!

Thanks for you continued support! Kev.

P.S Your still the King!

Edited by klasko54

If this takes care of it then for klasko I can just create a cable that will feed 5v to pin 6 that he can connect between his new supplies and his adams.

Be careful though. This may be a good fix for klasko's problem, but what happens when you use this custom cable on an ADAM that doesn't have this twin disk drive problem?

• Like 1

Let's not forget that the ADAM motherboard went through several revisions. The first step would be to determine which revision klasko54 has. :)

There were indeed numerous revision of the ADAM Logic Board (R57, R59, R79 and R80 with R80 being the most common and last), but there were numerous revision of the R80 board as well that are not really documented anywhere and this is eactly why some ADAMs will play ALL the Opcode SGM required games (sans sound from the SGM sound chip) and some will not experience this issue when two disk drives are hooked up, but not powered on. So a fix for one person may actually cause a problem for another person or won't be required at all.

As far as quick and easy remedies, one can:

- power on at least one disk drive, but this is not recommended if you will not be using the drive... no need for extra wear and tear from being powered on.

- unkook the ADAMnet cable that connects the first disk drive from either the connection to the Memory Console or the back of disk drive #1. I know this can be a pain to always remember to do, but it only takes a second.

This issue of not turning on a disk drive will also cause issues when using the IDE CF Package especially when using the File Maanager program. I'm not sure if it's with all Memory Consoles, but one of mine experiences issues where keypresses (say when renaming a file) will display odd characters instead of the key pressed. If I disconnect the drive or power it on, then everything works flawlessly. I'll have to retest this issue with the new Memory Console that I am know using that plays all SGM games without the SGM hooked up.

• Like 1

I'm curios, how do we know what consoles have this problem, and what don't. I have 4 consoles, and every one has this problem. If I have 4 that have this problem, the quantity of consoles that work fine must be a small number. No? Any thoughts?

When you first turn on the ADAM and the ELECTRONIC TYPEWRITER MODE (before you press the ESCAPE/WP key to enter the word processor) displays, just press the CONTROL and R key at the same time to display the Memory Console/SmartWriter chipset revision that will display in a new SmartKey on-screen. I'll bet that all 4 of your Memory Consoles are R80, but as noted in my previous post, there are numerous differences in R80 systems.

• Like 1

When you first turn on the ADAM and the ELECTRONIC TYPEWRITER MODE (before you press the ESCAPE/WP key to enter the word processor) displays, just press the CONTROL and R key at the same time to display the Memory Console/SmartWriter chipset revision that will display in a new SmartKey on-screen. I'll bet that all 4 of your Memory Consoles are R80, but as noted in my previous post, there are numerous differences in R80 systems.

I have know for a long time that they are all R80. I thought of that, and rechecked. All 4 are R80. I use my Adam a lot with both disk drives off to save wear. I also sometimes turn off the one Im using also to save wear. As we adamites know, when the disk drives are on, they get quite hot even when not in use. ;-)

Edited by klasko54

This power supply is so awesome in so many ways. its quiet, its small, I doesn't get hot, its cool looking. AND no more clacking of the carriage return every reset. After listening to it for 30 years, its quite a pleasure NOT to hear it!

I cant stress enough that if you have an Adam, or want one, This product is a must.

Many thanks to you King Rey! Cheers! klasko54

• Like 1