IGNORED

Sexiest old computer?

The original 800 is definitely one of the most 70s feeling computers I've ever owned - granted, rightfully so haha... very basic in package and typewriter appearance... but I'll never forget being blown away with its graphics and sound capabilities the first time I used one. After seeing dozens of other floppy drives, this one had me perplexed from the onset. I couldn't tell if I was looking at an 8-track style cartridge based storage system or some other sort of prorietary data storage tape drive. Once you get past the bulky and dated apperance though, there's a ton of fun to be had. It's whats on the inside that counts, so they say... lol ;)

• Like 1

I like the look of the 800. Yeah it's a bit typewriter but I like it.

The peripherals were absurdly massive.

Yeah, but ol' Jack had it straight with his policy of re-use. Look at how many peripherals were made using the same case as the 810.

Though it may not be quite as classic or well known as some of the other computers in this thread, for my money there just isn't any classic PC with more aesthetic appeal than the Toshiba Libretto 50/70CT.

1vF1r9E.jpg

It fits in your pocket and it runs Doom! What more could a handheld retro gaming fan want? :D

• Like 5

Though it may not be quite as classic or well known as some of the other computers in this thread, for my money there just isn't any classic PC with more aesthetic appeal than the Toshiba Libretto 50/70CT.

1vF1r9E.jpg

It fits in your pocket and it runs Doom! What more could a handheld retro gaming fan want? :D

That's awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

main-image.jpg

system-unit.jpg

I'm totally surprised that nobody's mentioned the Mindset computer. It's obscure, but not nearly as obscure as some of the machines posted here so far. According to Wikipedia the machine made it into the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

The Mindset is kind of like an Amiga would have been if it had been Intel-based and ran MS-DOS. The graphics resolutions and color palette was much the same as the Atari ST, but like the Amiga it had hardware graphics assist, interlaced display modes and could genlock video. Also like the Amiga, it was designed by ex-Atari engineers.

I've never seen one for real, but I knew about it BITD and might even have bought one if I could afford it. History says that would have been a bad decision (I got an Amiga 1000 instead), but the Mindset is still a cool-looking machine.

DSC06105.JPG

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 4

I'm totally surprised that nobody's mentioned the Mindset computer.

They did over 100 posts ago. :)

But they didn't post pictures.

I only hung onto two old byte magazines from when I subscribed.

The Mindset PC issue and the Amiga 1000 issue.

<edit>

Seems to me the MS-DOS compatibility was iffy.

Edited by JamesD

They did over 100 posts ago. :)

But they didn't post pictures.

<edit>

Seems to me the MS-DOS compatibility was iffy.

Ah, I missed it. I did go through the entire thread looking for pictures.

Yes, the dodgy MS-DOS compatibility (and its closed approach to peripherals) appears to be responsible for its failure - and why it would have been a poor choice for a daily-driver PC.

Edited by FifthPlayer

Now take the functionality of a Altair 8800, give in built in audio, the ability to display to television monitor, add a full stroke keyboard, then give it a casing in IBM blue with actual treated walnut wood sides that a wife is more likely not to have you kick into the garage, and you have the Sol Terminal 20.

102626727.lg.jpg

I know the post is over a year old, but I have to second the Sol. I have a thing for systems with woodgrain. ;)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Education-Centre---Tandy-008.jpg

Tandy 100 portable. My Jr. High shop teacher had one. He'd track our grades with it and would use it to print out our tests. He'd sit there and hunt and peck type with his somewhat missing fingers (had the ends of a few fingers missing).

He had a lot of accessories -- small little printer, data recorder (cassette), carrying case. I don't think he had the modem, though.

Edited by Trekker_1138
  • Like 1

That was my portable computer I had in the 80's. Had a decent Defender style game. :D

What my Dad was able to get ahold of which I did not find was a docking station that allowed it to have a 80 column display, serial ports, and floppy drives. Good stuff.

Ah, I missed it. I did go through the entire thread looking for pictures.

Yes, the dodgy MS-DOS compatibility (and its closed approach to peripherals) appears to be responsible for its failure - and why it would have been a poor choice for a daily-driver PC.

the tandy 2000 was ms-dos compatible, but not IBM pc compatible...

the tandy 2000 was ms-dos compatible, but not IBM pc compatible...

Not that I had any experience with it, but it sounds like the Mindset was less PC compatible than some other "MS-DOS compatible" machines like the Tandy 2000. From a review that ran in Creative Computing back in 1985:

I found that the Mindset would boot just about anything out of its version of MS-DOS, with the exception of some programs in extended Basic. Wordstar ran without problems. However, no protected programs would boot from cold start or out of MS-DOS. I could not try Lotus as we were supplied with a 128K machine. So if it is games compatibility you are after, the Mindset is not your machine. If you need to run copy-protected programs, the Mindset is not your machine.

Ironic that the PC compatible with the best graphics of its day was a terrible games machine.

Education-Centre---Tandy-008.jpg

Tandy 100 portable. My Jr. High shop teacher had one. He'd track our grades with it and would use it to print out our tests. He'd sit there and hunt and peck type with his somewhat missing fingers (had the ends of a few fingers missing).

He had a lot of accessories -- small little printer, data recorder (cassette), carrying case. I don't think he had the modem, though.

Ah yes, I have the 102 which was given to me a few years back by a fellow collector. Used to belong to a local CBC reporter and still has the sticker on the bottom. I've played around with it but don't really know what to do with it. What's a good generic adapter to use with these as the battery compartment has some corrosion and I'm reluctant to use batteries because of it.