IGNORED

Cortex BASIC in 80 Column

Stuart

It is the same board as used with XB 2.7--and it works well with 512K images as well, but ONLY if it has one of the quarter-circle green stickers on it! If it doesn't, all you have to do is change out the 25LS07 with a 74LS378 and test it that way to see if it starts in the first or last banks.

Is $1.70 a piece in a quantity of 5 a good deal on these, or have you sourced a better deal?

<< SOURCE HERE >>

• 2 weeks later...

Yay - I made my Coretex 80 Cart! You guys rock - and this is super cool!

That's awesome! Congratulations!

This basic has some cool features like PLOT. It reminds me more of the Apple II basic I used at school one year. That was the only other basic I spent any time on besides TI-XB.

I'd still like to see some ready-made and ready to run programs for this BASIC showing off it's capabilities.

I've got a couple I can provide. What would be the best way to provide them? If you're using Classic99 then you could copy them from a text file and 'paste' them, but what would be a good solution for those using real hardware? A .tidisk disk image?

• Like 1

I've got a couple I can provide. What would be the best way to provide them? If you're using Classic99 then you could copy them from a text file and 'paste' them, but what would be a good solution for those using real hardware? A .tidisk disk image?

Thank you Stuart! Any format that you want to use is fine, both Aftyde and I can use or convert just about anything.

Added a .zip file containing the program listings to my web page: <http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/ti/other_downloads/Cortex%20BASIC%20Programs.zip>.

See the @Program Descriptions.txt file within the zip file for program descriptions. All the programs were typed in or developed on my TM990 system but many will run on the TI-99/4A without modification. Those that interact with the hardware such as the SID chip will require modification to run on the TI-99/4A - I leave these for the reader to experiment with. You will have to work out a way to enter these listings on your system if you don't simply want to type them in (hint: if you're using the Classic99 simulator, copy the text listing to the clipboard then use the Edit > Paste command to 'type' them in).

Most of these will require you to use the cartridge version of Cortex BASIC - there won't be enough RAM available if you use the disk version.

Edited by Stuart

Why is that a Classic99 memory limitation?

Well, technically it's NOT a limitation of Classic99 now that you mention it. I suppose I really should have been more clear. :dunce:

My BAD! Begin yer pardon sir. Actually if I had a simulated cartridge version, all would have been copacetic. The memory limitation was due to me using the DISK VERSION of the Cortex BASIC which uses memory in such a way that it severely limits available space for programs.

• 1 month later...

Finally had time to make an 80col cart, boots without issue on my nanopeb f18a 4/a..

Greg

I've updated the Cortex BASIC program so it should now work in 80 column text mode on a 4A with the F18A. I've tested in Classic99 - anyone able to test on the "real iron" to save me having to dig my console out and strip it down?

Zip file attached with:

-- 40 and 80 column versions in TIFILES(?) and TiDisk formats. Should load with E/A option 3.

-- 40 and 80 column versions in binary format for burning to EPROM for a Guidry 64K cartridge (32K 27[C]256 EPROM and a 74LS379 ).

Program details here BUT I haven't updated the disk download on this page yet until I know the 80 column version works - use the zip file attached below: [http://www.avjd51.dsl.pipex.com/ti/ti.htm#programs].

attachicon.gifCortex BASIC 40 and 80 Column.zip

• Like 2

Stuart,

I'm curious, since you're The Man when it comes to Cortex BASIC and you've also developed the amazing Internet browser, I'm wondering if both could be put into a cartridge and linked to work together in some way via a special command.

I had this idea pop into my head that while connecting to a browser compatible webpage, clicking on a specific kind of link would download a program and then switch to Cortex BASIC that would run the program, when finished click an option in the program that would activate the specific command to instantly switch back to the browser. If possible, oh man the possibilities!

It's on my list to do some sort of download-and-save-to-disk feature for program files. The browser and Basic could probably be put into the same cartridge but an awful lot of faffing about sorting out the source so it can still be updated and making umpteen different cartridge image formats. I'll have a think about it.

New version of the browser available soon. You might want to get some clean underwear ready, Ohm ... ;-)

New version of the browser available soon. You might want to get some clean underwear ready, Ohm ... ;-)

Ooooooh, that my friend say's a LOT! It must be uber-fantastic if you think it'll make me soil myself! You've just raised the bar of expectation higher than you could ever know! :D

Care to give me a hint or two? :)

• 3 months later...

Stuart,

I have a question concerning your Cortex BASIC. I love the 80 column F18A compatibility, but the 14262 byte limitation...

So, I was wondering, do you think it's possible for some kind of control program to be written for the 1284P to work with the 1meg Super AMS Ksarul is making? I'm currently using mine on a blue board, so I was thinking that *IF* it was possible, Cortex BASIC80 would be smokin' with who knows how much more memory to work with.. 64K, 128K, 512K, more? Just another idea...

• Like 1