IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

I just might have to subscribe to Throwback Network's "80 of the 80s" podcast. They are referencing obscure 80s songs that I do in fact have on my Ipod. Little to no tired "80s hits" that radio stations have played endlessly.

It's a really good podcast. I caught up on all the back episodes a couple months ago.

In the soon to be released Intellivisionaries episode 23 (yes, it will be out BEFORE Christmas!) I do a "Mentions" segment on it.

I also interviewed Clay (aka "DJ CK1") recently for The Intellivisionaries, since he grew up playing the system.

And looks like I may be contributing a segment to 80ofthe80s soon too (Clay asked me to do so), as I was a DJ in the mid to late '80s.

• Like 1

I was just thinking about The Ground Round restaurant chain last night(and now I know why). We had about 3 or so in the twin cities(Roseville + on 494). They were great, and had popcorn. Great food, and just overall fun for kids & adults. Several years ago, they all shut down and got renamed to some other place with a yellow sign. That lasted less than a year(?) and those suddenly shut down. Remnants of the one on 494 are still there. The place next door took over the parking lot. The one in Roseville's been taken over by a fancier eatery now.

I thought it best to leave out the story of when I went to a strip club for the first (and last) time and got really sad and embarrassed and I ended up playing Centipede for most of the time I was there.

And no, not playing WITH my Centipede. They inexplicably had arcade Centipede in the strip club, I guess for the sad and embarrassed guys. :)

Ground Round was a little more wholesome.

• Like 2

I thought it best to leave out the story of when I went to a strip club for the first (and last) time and got really sad and embarrassed and I ended up playing Centipede for most of the time I was there.

And no, not playing WITH my Centipede. They inexplicably had arcade Centipede in the strip club, I guess for the sad and embarrassed guys. :)

Ground Round was a little more wholesome.

Ground Round = peanut shells

strip club = penis swells

• Like 1

Ground Round = peanut shells

strip club = penis swells

Not in my case. I was very uncomfortable. I was actually only 16 when I went, my friend said he was taking me to a "club," so I got dressed up in a shirt and tie with a sweater over it. I was a big gork back then so I guess I passed for 21.

• Like 1

Not in my case.

Well, by &...large. ;)

My "first time" was for my 19th birthday, my buddy brought me & I got up onstage for the birthday "treatment". That wouldve been...late summer '90. We frequented a few places in downtown Minneapolis the next few years. It cost a small fortune just to get in & have a drink or 2. It was full nudity but non-alcoholic so you could have a soft drink or near-beer like O'Doul's or whatever Miller's brand was named. At one time a place even had a lunch buffet set up! I had a few T-shirts & even stole a tablecloth that had the club's logo on it. IDK whatever happened to it.

Eventually interest just dropped off. I guess we either "grew up" or grew bored of it. I havent even been in downtown Minneapolis in a recreation sense for over a decade.

• Like 1

Oh & the last time I was at Ground Round was for a chili feed during a Vikings game, sometime in the early '90s at the Roseville (my hometown) location S1500 mentioned above.

The Vikings lost. I dont remember but it's a pretty safe assumption.

• Like 1

Near my grandma's apartment(and previously, house) and within 3 blocks of my place was a "titty bar" with women dancing behind glass. I only went there once. How small of a world is it? My girlfriend used to work there. Across the street "back then" was a Zantigo's, which is now a Taco Bell.

Strip club holiday memories!

Edited by S1500

I've only been to a strip club once, about five years ago for a friend's birthday. No lap dances or anything special for me, but a friend did pay for a massage -- and it was actually damn good! $10 for 15 minutes was a good rate, sat in a confy chair as my neck and shoulders got worked on, and it was probably the best massage I've ever had.

I would be willing to go back again, but the right time hasn't come up, plus as others have mentioned it can be expensive. I think between the cover charge, the beer, and the tips I spent about $40.

This post originally began with "There's nothing 'sexist' about Ms. Pac-Man" and went from there, getting long (with a nod to the recent strip-club references) and covering a lot of modern social hypocrisies, ultimately striking me as an inconsiderate thing to do to the thread. I thought, "Great idea, Chris -- bug the hell out of some of your favorite people."

So I've moved it to the 2600 GbG forum, where it's less apt to have any kind of derailing effect. I hope I'm right in presuming that your intention was to open the topic for discussion, Ferg. :) It certainly couldn't hurt. It would make for a healthful debate, even if I don't expect much conversation on the matter on Atari Age. But it certainly beats "What are you eating for dinner?", "What's your favorite beer?", etc.

Edited by Chris++
  • Like 2

Okay, year is over, here's the 2015 wrap-up. I'm sure there will be guff, but just my opinions. :) There may be some inaccuracies in the "new in 2015" list, or may not.

2015 Podcast List

Video Game

1.Retrogaming Discussion Show

2.Diary of an Arcade Operator

3.Maximum Powerup

4.Pie Factory Podcast

5.Wizards of Odyssey 2

6.Atari 7800 Game By Game

7.Atari 5200 SuperCast

8.Atari Jaguar Game by Game

9.Atari Lynx Game by Game

10.Atari XE Game System Cart By Cart

11.The Dreamcast Junkyard

12.Master System Masterpieces

13.Square Wave Radio

14./r/retrogaming -

15.Coin Rejects

16.New Game Plus

17.Vectrex Radio

18.Retroholics

19.VGBS

20.They Create Worlds

21.Playstation Power

Retro Computing

22. Electric Dreams BBS Podcast

23. Press Play on Tape

24. DOS Nostalgia

25. Upper Memory Block

26. The CoCo Crew

27. Amigos

28. Classic Text Adventures

Pinball Podcasts

29. DeadFlip -

30. Coinbox Pinball

31. The SkillShot Pincast

32. The Pin-Bar Cavern

33. This Flippin’ Podcast

34. For Amusement Only

We Miss You!

Stalking The Retro

The Pin-Bar Cavern

Now You’re Playing with Podcast

We Won’t Miss You!

One More Podcastle

RetroGrade

Best New Pinball Podcast

The CoinBox Pinball Podcast

The SkillShot Pincast

DeadFlip

Best Game By Game Podcast 2015

Atari 5200 SuperCast

Atari 7800 Game By Game

Atari Jaguar Game By Game

Best Podcast to never Subscribe To

Honey Badger Radio

Best Opening Theme

SkillShot PinCast

Coleco Telstar Arcade game by game

Best Audio Submission

??

Most Over-used Phrase

????

Best New Microcomputer Podcast

Upper Memory Block

Amigos

The CoCo Crew

Creepiest Robot Voice

This Flippin’ Podcast

Podcast of the Year

RetroBlast

Pie Factory

Upper Memory Block

• Like 1

Oh I can hear it now......"Best Opening Theme.....Coleco Telstar Arcade as done by Willie!'s wife" :P hee hee hee hee. She is doing a computer voice for the 5200 SuperCast for our Star Raiders Episode we are due to record soon. All the other robot voices are going to fall in love with my wife, Hey wait a minute!

I really miss doing Stalking the Retro with my buds Jeremy and Ian :( But happy Jeremy asked me to do Vectrex Radio with him!

Oh, also the VR Enclave podcast just recently came out, it is done by Jeremy from STR, Vectrex Radio, Greatest American Hero Podcast and George from Sega Master System Masterpieces Podcast. They have the 1st episode out now, dont think it has shown up on Itunes yet though but here is the feed. http://feeds.feedburner.com/vrenclave

• Like 1

Kris has started up the IMPLANTgames podcast once again, with Episode 70. He will be flying solo (whereas it used to consist of us both) and will be doing shorter episodes than before. The old iTunes link is still good for it, but you can also find a video/face to face version on YouTube.

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/listen-implantgames/id642052867?mt=2

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asygTsrNe-U