IGNORED

CF7+ power supply

DavidC

Cost savings, probably.Every few cents count, you know ;)

Well Rick, if for real is only this the problem i disagree with this policy.

i paid € 0.50 for n1 7805 regulator voltage. (probably for 100 pieces could be cheaper)

this cost is really ridiculous when compared to the total cost of the entire board- and i must say it is very very important important for the security of the card.

is there a commercial power supply that has always the correct voltage ?
I have lot of power supply in my drawer that claim on the label to be 5V but, when measured by the tester, this one release 6v or 7v or even 10s in some cases.
There are power supplies that can have 5.30ve is already too much for nanoPEB.
so the risk is that you can connect a 5V powersupply and burn the nanoPEB, maybe not immediately perhaps in days.
I currently have 5 cards on a shelf between nanoPEB and CF7 not working.
Custodio Malilong confirmed me that they were probably wrong power supplies used on these cards... I measured the power supplies and are all between 5.16v and 5.30v ...
if there was a 7805 on the card nothing of this problem could be present. also all PEB cards have voltage regulators on them.
so, no i had about $300 of cards broken because decided to not use a 0.50 cent regulator :)
of course, my old CF7+ with voltage regulator still working good... the broken ones are all the without regulators voltage.
Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 1

I just tapped the 5 volt line off a speech synthesizer and hooked up a nanopeb. Seems to work just fine (so far). My thought is if the power is coming from the supply inside the computer it's got to be regulated pretty well since its not cooking the computer. The issue will be if there is enough amperage to keep both happy.

• Like 2

Well Rick, if for real is only this the problem i disagree with this policy.

i paid € 0.50 for n1 7805 regulator voltage. (probably for 100 pieces could be cheaper)

this cost is really ridiculous when compared to the total cost of the entire board- and i must say it is very very important important for the security of the card.

is there a commercial power supply that has always the correct voltage ?
I have lot of power supply in my drawer that claim on the label to be 5V but, when measured by the tester, this one release 6v or 7v or even 10s in some cases.
There are power supplies that can have 5.30ve is already too much for nanoPEB.
so the risk is that you can connect a 5V powersupply and burn the nanoPEB, maybe not immediately perhaps in days.
I currently have 5 cards on a shelf between nanoPEB and CF7 not working.
Custodio Malilong confirmed me that they were probably wrong power supplies used on these cards... I measured the power supplies and are all between 5.16ve 5.30v ...
if there was a 7805 on the card nothing of this problem could be present. also all PEB cards have voltage regulators on them.
so, no i had about $300 of cards broken because decided to not use a 0.50 cent for regulators :)
of course, my old CF7+ with voltage regulator still working good... the broken ones are all the without regulators voltage.

I don't disagree, just trying to put out a possible reason. At the same time your blown ones can probably be repaired, I blew both of mine and bought new Xilink chips from Jamie( I believe one is not the right programming for the particular CF7+ I have) and have gotten both of them to work, just have to watch the power supply issue.

I just tapped the 5 volt line off a speech synthesizer and hooked up a nanopeb. Seems to work just fine (so far). My thought is if the power is coming from the supply inside the computer it's got to be regulated pretty well since its not cooking the computer. The issue will be if there is enough amperage to keep both happy.

interesting, i am curious. have you a Tester for check the real voltage from your 5v connector please ?

maybe a picture of the mod ? :D :D

I don't disagree, just trying to put out a possible reason. At the same time your blown ones can probably be repaired, I blew both of mine and bought new Xilink chips from Jamie( I believe one is not the right programming for the particular CF7+ I have) and have gotten both of them to work, just have to watch the power supply issue.

sure, it was just for explain my point of view about this theory ;)

i already tried to send the nanoPEB to Jamie, but you know, i am in Italy, when shipped to him two of the broken ones and return i paid about $60 and he said that just one was repaired. when i got them... no one of them worked anyway :(

so i gived up at all now :P ... just hope in a new next solution for our TI :)

• Like 1

interesting, i am curious. have you a Tester for check the real voltage from your 5v connector please ?

maybe a picture of the mod ? :D :D

sure, it was just for explain my point of view about this theory ;)

i already tried to send the nanoPEB to Jamie, but you know, i am in Italy, when shipped to him two of the broken ones and return i paid about $60 and he said that just one was repaired. when i got them... no one of them worked anyway :(

so i gived up at all now :P ... just hope in a new next solution for our TI :)

If we could work out something offline, I might take your "junk" of your hands, free up your space, so to speak :grin:

Ciro,

Yes, I tested with a digital vom and got 5.1 volts at the +5 shown in the image.

See the attached where I tapped in on another speech synth. I didn't want to take the modified one apart because I'm still testing it.

Very nice, thank you ! :)

i was just curious, thanks for details, if you will found some issue in use it update us please ;)

/strong opinion mode on

I understand the goal of reducing manufacturing costs, but NOT by eliminating basic protections that result in a weak at-risk product. While the manufacturer may save a couple of pennies, this practice displays little regard for the consumer or all the hoops and added expense that they'll have to incur.

There seems to be a higher percentage of stories surrounding the Nano-PEB when it comes to troubles, I unfortunately have a few personal experiences myself. Thankfully there are people out there who have stable units with no problems, I wish we all had your luck.

/strong opinion mode on

I understand the goal of reducing manufacturing costs, but NOT by eliminating basic protections that result in a weak at-risk product. While the manufacturer may save a couple of pennies, this practice displays little regard for the consumer or all the hoops and added expense that they'll have to incur.

There seems to be a higher percentage of stories surrounding the Nano-PEB when it comes to troubles, I unfortunately have a few personal experiences myself. Thankfully there are people out there who have stable units with no problems, I wish we all had your luck.

what do you expect for 40$? This is why i ordered mine WITH power supply.. I didn't want to worry about it.. mine have never failed.. ymmv

what do you expect for 40$? This is why i ordered mine WITH power supply.. I didn't want to worry about it.. mine have never failed.. ymmv

Apparently not much. I would have preferred to have spent $5.00-$10.00 more originally and saved additional money and hassle of dealing repeatedly with the post office.

• Like 3

Well, i purchased about 25 among nanoPEB and CF7 as order for users that follow TI Italian Club.

some of them i paid about $59,00 + about $40 for a tracked international shipment in Italy and custom duty in Italy. :(

Have power supply have a cost added also for shipping over all if shipment are for a high number of nanoPebs

Anyway for my last two nanoPEB i purchased the powersupply with. actually the voltage is 5.15v and it could change with time.

i just think that a Voltage Regulator not change so much the price for build this card and can protect and save the Cards. in older ones it was present.

Edited by ti99iuc

Schmizi, Here are pictures of my two CF7+'s, note the one with the red circle, thats where the voltage regulator sit until I pulled it. As a side note, though I'm not as electronically inclined as say the Insane Multitasker, I do believe that the VR needs a couple of volts over its stated rating to actually do something. Thats why the 7.5 volt worked.

cool, very nice pics. I am already sorting, but have to check all the pics next days, for a list or so. Let´s see what comes out :)

Yes, that with the voltage overdose? sounds ♫ logical ♪

thx

Ralf

Here is a question:

Seeing as how my version of the CF7+ runs on 7.5 to 9 volts, could I assemble a battery pack using AA battery's or a single 9v battery?

Or would they not supply enough milliamperes?

Has anyone ever tried doing this? It would be nice to free up the wires I trip over all the time.

• Like 1

Oh sorry, but I really don´t know about. I can sort NanoPEBs in the shelf, not more :) This pic here shows what happens if I do mods :)

I just thought about the MilliAmperes mA of your batteries, but I don´t know about the consumption of the nanoPebs.....

So, maybe you will have a (guessed, not estimated) runtime of max. 2,5 hours maybe ?

(But I can be totally wrong with that)

oh yes, and maybe you can take some "historical" photos there ?

I never have seen one of that famous shops, only some very old pics from the 80ies years ago

EDIT: hmmmm, is or was Radio Shack in Manhattan ? hmmm did I go there ? hmmm I´ll find out, DigDug in my brain :)

Edited by schmitzi

• 4 weeks later...