IGNORED

Lynx Lounge

btbfilms76

• 3 weeks later...

I played the 7800 Robotron with dual joysticks and it was awesome! Good point on the control scheme but there's no real way to solve this for the Lynx without a diamond formation for the right hand action buttons. We are lucky they gave us three different control schemes. Maybe if Atari were still around, they could have given us a kick ass DS port that used the SNES style "diamond" buttons for shooting! :P

BTW, I used these bad boys to play Robotron on my 7800. Full galleries in my sig.

21472086812_89fd79104d_z_d.jpg

16441775328_9c87053299_z_d.jpg

I toyed with the idea of building a two player "universal" arcade stick, but as I rarely game with friends, it would be of limited use for just one game. I've already got two arcade Atari sticks so I'm set. :cool:

• Like 2

I played the 7800 Robotron with dual joysticks and it was awesome! Good point on the control scheme but there's no real way to solve this for the Lynx without a diamond formation for the right hand action buttons. We are lucky they gave us three different control schemes. Maybe if Atari were still around, they could have given us a kick ass DS port that used the SNES style "diamond" buttons for shooting! :P

BTW, I used these bad boys to play Robotron on my 7800. Full galleries in my sig.

21472086812_89fd79104d_z_d.jpg

16441775328_9c87053299_z_d.jpg

I toyed with the idea of building a two player "universal" arcade stick, but as I rarely game with friends, it would be of limited use for just one game. I've already got two arcade Atari sticks so I'm set. :cool:

Wow! This is an impressive rig. Props to you my man.

Wow! This is an impressive rig. Props to you my man.

Yeah, it feels a bit weird playing it with two completely different feeling joysticks. The 7800 stick is a Happ Competition with custom ball top. Medium tension, round actuator. Great for heavy-handed play. The 2600 joystick is an Omni2 4-way/8-way with switchable actuator. That's what the pulley string hack is for. Very light tension for twitch gaming, square actuator in 8-way mode. Also has bonus side paddles! :grin:

Feels a bit odd using both at the same time, but the twin stick action is still amazing! I'm actually trying to get away from using the Happs. I may consider swapping the Happ in the 7800 out with a Zippy someday, but unfortunately that would require drilling new holes... :P

post-39793-0-82796600-1465024147_thumb.jpg

Yeah, it feels a bit weird playing it with two completely different feeling joysticks. The 7800 stick is a Happ Competition with custom ball top. Medium tension, round actuator. Great for heavy-handed play. The 2600 joystick is an Omni2 4-way/8-way with switchable actuator. That's what the pulley string hack is for. Very light tension for twitch gaming, square actuator in 8-way mode. Also has bonus side paddles! :grin:

Feels a bit odd using both at the same time, but the twin stick action is still amazing! I'm actually trying to get away from using the Happs. I may consider swapping the Happ in the 7800 out with a Zippy someday, but unfortunately that would require drilling new holes... :P

What about two Sega Arcade sticks side by side. The sega controller works with the 7800 and 2600... that might be an option. This picture is stacked but you get the idea.

attachicon.gifsegajs01.jpg

What about two Sega Arcade sticks side by side. The sega controller works with the 7800 and 2600... that might be an option. This picture is stacked but you get the idea.

I have one of the three button Sega Arcade sticks. It's perfect for playing Space Rocks, but nothing compares to my arcade sticks. Even with a steel base plate, the Sega stick isn't quite massive enough to stay put with frantic joystick action and no right hand to stablize it.

Probably two Sega sticks on a table would be fine however. I'm usually sitting on the bed which doesn't help. :P

Both arcade sticks are excellent when used alone. It just feels slightly "off" using two joysticks simultaneously which have a very different feel to them. Hard to describe really. I typically use the Happ 7800 stick in my left hand to move around and the 2600 stick in my right hand to fire with.

Another nice review. The first type of game I ever played like this was Smash TV on the SNES. 2 player Smash TV is amazing. The Lynx does it's best regarding the limited control system though.

I agree, the Lynx does its best it's just not as explosively fast as the 7800 due to that slow turnaround rate. Love Smash TV, Total Carnage and I made a game with zombies in it on the 360.

• 2 months later...

Love these video's that you are doing! It brings all the nostalgia back to when I was a kid getting these games for the first time. Man I had to save up hard to get them but that made me appreciate them all the more!

I look forward to seeing your next vid! :-)

So did I! Always cutting grass and working to get some spending money for the next game.